Prospective Black Ivy Leaguers for class of 2018?

<p>One of my younger siblings loves history, loves to write, etc. and he thought the information I got from Kenyon and Oberlin was amazing.Those schools look awesome.
@collegebound752, Brown is the Ivy my humanities lovin’ sibling likes. Plus, he is really searching for an HBCU that has a great humanities program. We are going in all sorts of directions and close in age. Spring break the next 3 years, my Dad said, will be accepted student day visits!
@Anxious4Results when do likely letters usually start coming out? Early March?</p>

<p>@hsgrad Likely letters are sent out mid-Feb to early March for most Ivy schools, from what I researched. </p>

<p>I think likely letters begin coming out early/mid March… </p>

<p>Do you usually have to apply specifically for an likely/ unlikely indication option or do they just send them to you randomly?</p>

<p>They send likely letters to applicants who they consider highly desirable. They don’t send unlikely letters.</p>

<p>LOL Well, I guess it’s a good thing that they don’t send unlikely letters. </p>

<p>What a great way to begin application results season with a bunch of early rejection letters <em>highly sarcastic, borderline hysterical laugh</em></p>

<p>Likely letters have been received starting last weekend (plenty of mentions on others threads!) Not expecting one here…</p>

<p>@lydiamanglin I had a nice chuckle at “unlikely” letter. I can imagine the wording in the letter–“nice try, put we pass” or “just go on and find somewhere else”. </p>

<p>The likely letters are typically sent to the top applicants (cream of the crop so to speak) who are sought after from multiple schools. I know they are sent to athletes as well to hopefully stall them from signing full rides with other schools. From what I read about UPenn, maybe 100-200 letters are sent out for an applicant pool of more than 30,000 students. Hopefully, some of these letters found their way into the hands of many deserving AA students as well.</p>

<p>@picktails I agree, it is definitely a crap shoot! I also find it to be a crap shoot with obtaining a motivated, knowledgeable, and helpful GC in high school as well. We have a great resource in our GC, but many of my friends with students at other schools have received little to no help, even with top students. </p>

<p>Our GC is relatively clueless regarding the top colleges. I was very lucky to be introduced to a woman at my health club who volunteers her time helping minority students apply to top schools. She guided us through the process, told us about fly-ins and which institutions are overly dedicated to diversity. It was a true gift.</p>

<p>The whole process is like a maze of a game you seem to have to know how to play. My dad is frugal enough to have researched how to totally capitalize on the National Achievement thing, but thankfully nice enough to tell me to apply anywhere else I want and then if there a choices to be made, hopefully have some good ones financially and, most importantly, with fit. My best friend said something to me about taxes and scholarships and we both realized that we had aged way too much! The fun part was the flyins and catalogs and even the interviews. But the whole essays and now waiting? Not so much. I guy I know got matched with Questbridge 2 months ago and we are all really happy for him, and totally jealous that he has been DONE (no worries about more apps, aid, loans). He is in at a great school with everything, right down to 2 flights home per year paid for. I feel really sorry for any kid who would qualify for Questbridge and was not told about. That program seems like a gift for God for real.</p>

<p>@picktails That is wonderful! You were lucky to run into her. Just out of curiosity, what schools did she say were overly dedicated to diversity?</p>

<p>@hsgrad You definitely have to do a lot of research and self-advocacy in this process. Very happy you had your father’s help and willingness to widen your search.</p>

<p>She strongly pushed Yale EA (didn’t happen, lol.)
The RD list my D ended up applying to: Bowdoin, Brandeis (against her advice - said they don’t give $$,) Brown, Middlebury, Northwestern, Oberlin, Tufts, Tulane (all ready accepted), UPenn, Vassar and Williams.<br>
The advisor seems to feel she’s a definite for Middlebury because they have a hard time attracting diverse students. But there is no “sure thing” in this process.</p>

<p>I did ta Brandeis fly in and liked it a lot. The AA students were supper supportive of one another and most seemed to indicate that they DID get some money. But, one of the big full ride scholarships has been discontinued, I think. Bowdoin invited me to the fly in but I could not go. Middlebury flat out rejected me from the fly in and I never heard from then again (no application fee waiver, etc.). Amherst rejected me too but offered the fee waiver, called me, sent lots of stuff, etc…not that I would get in for admissions but they made me feel that I did not totally waste my time with the fly in app! lol). Tulane accepted a lot of black kids at school but only gave 20k. Most are middle class and are not getting any other aid, so they dropped it for full tuition at Pitt or for their state schools, as back ups. I have heard great things about Williams, Oberlin and UPenn from black students who are there who have come back to our high school to visit. I think your advisor @picktails gave your daughter good advice!</p>

<p>@picktails has your daughter visited Northwestern? I am really curious as to the feel of that school.</p>

<p>Did anyone go tot he Haverford fly in or have any thoughts on it for NON athlete black kids? I like LACs but seems like a ton of the black kids I meet at them are athletes (nothing wrong with that) and spend most time with their team and don’t (so they told me) have a lot of time to meet and mingle with the other black kids on campus.</p>

<p>No visit to NW, figured we’d hold off on the expense to see if she’s accepted first. She did interview, however, and said the other kids were mostly asian!<br>
Tulane gave my D a $28,000 “Founders Scholarship,” plus we’ll get FA. </p>

<p>Congratulations on your daughter’s scholarship to Tulane! I doubt my D will receive any FA, but she has applied for several scholarships, including ROTC. Hopefully, she will get one!</p>

<p>Just was deferred from Wellesley yesterday, but they don’t know what’s about to hit them… I’m not about to take this situation sitting down lol. </p>

<p>Where there’s a will, there’s a way ;)</p>

<p>FIGHT for it @lydiamanglin There is still a good chance they will take you!
@anxious4Results our EFC ended up being more than my parents thought. So, merit scholarships are a big priority!</p>

<p>Go for it!</p>

<p>GO GET 'EM, @lydiamanglin! Wellesley women are “women who will” and I’m sure that you would be an asset to their community.</p>

<p>Awwwww thanks everyone- I really appreciate your support! The only thing that keeps me going is that there still is a chance, a small chance perhaps, but a chance indeed. </p>

<p>I’m wondering how to express that I still have interest without seeming too needy or desperate (even though I am lol)</p>

<p>Can y’all believe it’s almost March?? Where did the time go?</p>