Prospective Class of 2018

<p>Best wishes for your dd, NC Mom. My dd also greatly prefers the ACT and will give it a go again in June. She needs 1 more point also!</p>

<p>Finger crossed for your dd too gamom!</p>

<p>S3’s ACT results came back and he is 2 points shy of what he needs for the Presidential Scholarship. This is the first time taking the test and he really didn’t study, but I was hoping for that 32. He’ll probably take the June test and the one in September. Hopefully between June-September, he will be able to take a few practice tests and try to bring up that dang English score. Good luck to your sons and daughters!</p>

<p>Just got DD’s back too! She got her 32!!! Woohoo! Kjcphmom, DD went up from 29 to 32 since September and she never really study, just too a couple of practice tests. Fingers crossed for your DS. Now we are just crossing our fingers that they don’t change the requirements! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>NC Mom, Congratulations. I am SO HAPPY for your D and your family. Thank you tos for sharing that your D’s ACT rose 3 points…maybe my DS can raise his the 2 points needed. Let’s hope requirements don’t change. Congrats again and roll tide!</p>

<p>Just started thinking about Bama today. I suppose, like many of the posters here, I’m eligible for the full ride as well (I have a 3.76 UW/4.6 W GPA and 32 ACT). Just worried that its a bit of a party school…thoughts?</p>

<p>Thanks Kjcphmom! Fingers crossed for you all too! I have no doubt he can raise it. Just a little familiarity is bound to help!</p>

<p>NC Mom, He’s a typical STEM kid so his english brought him down. Hoping that some practice and brushing up in that area will make a difference.</p>

<p>Adscram14, take a look at all the threads and posts on this forum and you will probably get an idea of the good (and sometimes bad) of Alabama. Freshman son really is glad he is a student here and is getting an excellent education. He has not found that Alabama is a party school, but he isn’t looking for parties. I think they are there (like at any school) but you can avoid them if you want to. There are many kids in the honors program with your stats so you will find alot of smart students, with lots of different personalities, to hang around with.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Of course it’s a party school - it’s a big state flagship with a huge Greek system. And there’s partying at almost all colleges. However, just because there is partying going on doesn’t mean that YOU have to do it. If you choose not to, you won’t have any trouble finding like minded students who make the same choice. And there’s lots of other stuff going on - you can have a very active social life outside of the party scene.</p>

<p>Adscrm I’d say it all depends upon you. As with any school of similar size, you’ll find those who enjoy partying. In our case, our D isn’t the “partying” type. She enjoys having a good time with friends for sure, but she keeps her eye on the prize so to speak. She established specific short and long term goals for herself and spends her time studying, attending social or athletic events with friends, volunteering, or spending time with family in the area. There’s truly something for everyone, so if you’re looking for a party scene you’ll definitely find it here just as you will at most schools.</p>

<p>My daughter is a high stats, high achieving student. She loves the UA. She has two siblings coming right behind her in 2014 and 2015. Both have already greatly exceeded the required 32 ACT score and also greatly exceed the SAT requirement for full tuition, (not full ride). They already know where they belong. Roll Tide! :)</p>

<p>Hi everyone - we are planning a visit in 2 weeks. I can’t wait to see this school I have been reading so much about on CC for the past year now. We will do the bus tour, HC tour & the whole works. Anyone else out there from California? D is not sure that she wants to leave the state, so I’d say she is “skeptically optimistic” about UA. I’m curious to see her reaction!</p>

<p>Be sure to report back after your visit Gertrude! I can’t wait to hear what she thinks!</p>

<p>My son will join the UA family as a freshman this year…from San Ramon! You guys will love it I’m sure!!!</p>

<p>Great to hear CaMom2four - I know there are plenty of CA kids going there & that will make her feel a little more comfortable. NC Mom - I will definitely give a full report after our visit!</p>

<p>CaMom, my best friend lives in neighboring-to-you Dublin. She tells me she often sees a Bama stickered vehicle when she’s dropping her D off at high school.</p>

<p>Well, my junior son from NH has UA on his list but I’m non-committal until they publish next year’s scholarship numbers since the long distance make this too expensive if the presidential moves out of reach.</p>

<p>On another note, does anyone know what’s involved in joining the marching band?</p>

<p>This should help: [Million</a> Dollar Band | University of Alabama Bands](<a href=“http://bands.ua.edu/ensembles/million-dollar-band/]Million”>Million Dollar Band Camp – The University of Alabama Bands | The University of Alabama)
Being a part of the band is a great experience. RTR!</p>

<p>Class2012mom, I am meeting many from East Bay! It makes it easier to know other families are sending their son/daughter to the opposite side of the country! We spend a lot of time in Dublin btw…shopping, eating, movies etc. it is a nice town!!!</p>

<p>My son is a junior from So. Cal and thinking hard about U.A. He wants to step out of the UC system and explore the country rather than ending up studying with the same (or similar kids) that he knows from High School. We, like many other families, are waiting on the scholarships for next academic year. He has the stats for U.A. Presidential this year, but if the requirements change we will have to assess the best option for him.</p>

<p>AlbionGirl - great to hear! We were going to wait to plan our trip until we knew for sure about scholarships, but now is the only time that seems to work for a trip, so we’re taking our chances. I have corresponded with the San Diego area recruiter and she has said she is not aware of any changes to scholarship requirements planned for next year. That doesn’t mean there won’t be any, but at least it’s a positive sign!</p>