Prospective Class of 2018

<p>DS just submitted his online app! He is grinning from ear to ear .Wow! How do they grow up so fast? Roll tide!</p>

<p>I’d like to reach out to kids and parents who are NOT honors, and are only borderline scholarship.</p>

<p>My son’s 7th grade Duke TIP ACT was 17, so we knew we were college bound. As a Jr, he earned ACT scores comfortably above the median at both Alabama and Auburn. Neither school would send a limo to pick him up, but he was safe.</p>

<p>I believe summer UA application and acceptance was a tremendous positive for my son’s senior year. He struggled with grades and - ahem - certain young-man issues. My view is his acceptance letter from Bama helped steady him through some of the worst of the senior year pressure. </p>

<p>The only complication to early application is that the UA acceptance letter will sit on the counter and scream out for a decision. Calling your kiddo’s name, a siren song that will be irresistible for checklist-parents and energetic students.</p>

<p>I’ll leave you with one prediction, of sorts: If you get accepted and visit the campus, game over. You’ll be Bama-bound. And I’m pretty sure that’s a good thing.</p>

<p>DS filled out the app last night, too!! :slight_smile: We visited over spring break and so far it’s #1 in his mind. We do have another trip planned to other schools in a couple of weeks, but I’m not sure the $$ will compare. </p>

<p>Roll tide!!</p>

<p>I have a question. When DS filled out the online app last night, it did not ask for GPA or ACT. Will they ask for more info later?</p>

<p>In order for his application to be complete, he will need to have his test scores and official transcript sent to the UA. If his scores were already sent at the time he tested then all they will need is the transcript. The GPA will come from the transcript.</p>

<p>Thank you! I just re-read the print application and saw that it asked for those two items be mailed directly from ACT and the high school. I think he’s good, then! :)</p>

<p>Congratulations and Roll Tide, Beadymom.</p>

<p>What about LOR’s?</p>

<p>No LOR’s at UA. Easy application.</p>

<p>DD got her app done this weekend. They already had ACT scores and we contacted her school to get transcripts sent this morning. She’s super excited, UA is her top choice right now as long as engineering scholarship levels remain the same for 2014.</p>

<p>Any ideas on how long the decision takes once the transcript is received?</p>

<p>Last year the first acceptances were posted on their myBama accounts the day we were visiting Tuscaloosa. I think it was 8/22. Since the application came out a couple of weeks early this year, maybe acceptances will be a couple of weeks earlier? Has anyone received an email confirmation yet with a CWID #? DD is eager to set up her myBama account but you need that number to do it.</p>

<p>Had a really wonderful visit yesterday - I had pretty high expectations for the day & I was not disappointed! Neil in the Honors College had set up a very busy schedule for us. We started with the bus tour, then got a tour of the Science complex and the Honors dorms (wow!) with an Honors college ambassador. We had a GREAT meeting with Jane Batson in the Computer Based Honors program & met several of the students - my D is now very interested in that program. The turning point of the day was meeting with Prof. Houghtaling in the music department - D really connected with him & if she chooses to attend Bama, he will be the main reason. In fact, after touring a working chem lab & being a little intimidated by all the equipment, tanks, hazard signs, etc. then getting so excited about the music dept, she may be looking at a music major! </p>

<p>I cannot say enough about the friendliness of everyone. The honors college staff were wonderful, our complicated day ran without a hitch and we felt very well taken care of. At one point, we stopped a gentleman for directions & ended up having a 10-minute conversation - turns out it was Asst Dean Hays of the college of Arts & Sciences. At the recommendation of a friend who is on the faculty at UA, we popped in to introduce ourselves to Dean Sharp & he was very gracious & welcoming.</p>

<p>D was impressed & left with a very good feeling about the school. She is a little worried about how large it is, but I think she would be finding her way around within a week & I’m not too worried about that part. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>So glad you had a great experience. That tells us that our great experience was not a fluke! It sounds like you made the most of your time at UA. Good luck as you continue to gather info and make your final decision.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting your report, it sounds as though you had a great visit. If you don’t mind my asking, how was the drive from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa? Is it easy to get out of the airport and are the freeways busy?</p>

<p>We flew into Birmingham last Sunday to attend BB. Nice new airport. Easy to get to the highway. They just finished road construction last week on some of the highways. It seemed pretty easy to get to/from Tuscaloosa from the airport. No changing highways. Feel comfortable letting D do it alone.</p>

<p>Thanks, that’s good to know. Is this the route you took? </p>

<p>[Directions</a> from Birmingham Airport to Tuscaloosa](<a href=“http://www.bama.ua.edu/~lclavell/pages/directions.html]Directions”>http://www.bama.ua.edu/~lclavell/pages/directions.html)</p>

<p>There is really only 1 route into/out of/through Tuscaloosa: I20/59. Those are the directions you need to get to campus (Are you indeed going to the Physics building specifically?. This map will help you - search for Gallalee building: <a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama; )</p>

<p>You will find the freeway traffic ‘light’ by comparison to any other major city except during the rush hours (but it certainly is not stop/go). Tuscaloosa itself also gets relatively slower at each of the rush hours. But it is nothing compared to what most of us are used to, traffic-wise.</p>

<p>Also, the Van de Graaff mansion? As in <em>the</em> Mr. Van de Graaff machine?! Never heard mention of this! Yes, he was born in Tuscaloosa and went to UA!!! This will be on our list of things to do when we next visit. <a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Van_de_Graaff[/url]”>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Van_de_Graaff&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks for the advice aeromom. We’re not going to the physics building specifically, I just came across these directions online. I thought the photo links were helpful (I’m the sort of person who looks at Google street view to see what a destination looks like).</p>

<p>One word of warning on the drive between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, watch your speed. We saw them out in full force both trips radaring. </p>

<p>aeromom, thanks for that info on the house. I guess we drove right past it and I did not even notice. Unless, that was the one I noticed. Does it face the side street or Greensboro? The one I saw faces the side street. Guess we can all thank that family for having Bryce located in Tuscaloosa back then. Otherwise, someone else would have developed that land and UA would not have had the opportunity to acquire it and expand the campus.</p>

<p>DD’s transcript going in the mail today! ACT scores were already submitted! Just waiting for that email with the CWID # to log into myBama! We are excited!!</p>