Prospective Class of 2018

<p>^^ DS cringes every time I threaten to get him a vanity plate that says ‘FULL-RIDE’. </p>

<p>He says ‘Imola Red’, <em>I</em> say CRIMSON!</p>

<p>NCMom, she chose a Nissan Sentra and apparently her little car likes to road trip (at least by the number of gas charges on her debit card).</p>

<p>The caveat was waiting until after freshman year, to make sure she did not lose her mind and could keep her grades up. She was/is very motivated to keep the car and the scholarship, so again it seems like a win-win for all of us.</p>

<p>Our original plan was to use her college fund to buy an enormous RV for tailgating and airbrush her photo on the side … so she could spot us anywhere on campus … somehow she was not too keen on that but happily accepted the Sentra instead. I wonder why…?</p>

<p>We have officially visited 11 schools and unofficially visited another 4 or 5. We did our due diligence so we knew ahead of time what to expect and have really liked every school but 1. I’m perplexed by this idea of falling in love with one school. There are so many great schools, too many to visit. Just seems like the more schools you visit the less likely you are to fall in love with one. Just my 2 cents…</p>

<p>BigDaddy, we have visited many schools. DD is out second, and through her brother’s two years of visits, she really identified what she wanted and didn’t want: a school larger than 5000 undergrads, in a college town, not a large city, in the South but not in North Carolina, one with a good PR program, an active Greek life, and one where she could have her own room. Our criteria was more basic. We wanted her to go to a fairly decent school and we weren’t willing to pay more than it costs to go to Chapel Hill. I am glad she is passionate about her choice. I want her to love where she will spend four very important years of her life. I love that Bama is in a “college town”. DH and I went to UVA and loved the atmosphere. DS is at USC and I would not have wanted to go to school in such a large city. To each their own I guess, but what is important is that you identify what is right for you! DD has done that in Alabama and now we just hope that the scholarship makes it work for us!</p>

<p>Colobamamom, holding it a year was a great idea. We didn’t think of that. We told her she woud get it for graduation if she gets a full tuition scholarship. We did tell her if she loses the scholarship, she loses the car!!! I will need a new one anyway by then! Just hoping the 8 year old Honda Odyssey with 172,000 miles makes it through Move In/Out her freshman year!</p>

<p>NCmom,</p>

<p>I understand your point. I guess I’m fortunate to have a practical D. Her criteria were more about internal things. The program she wants to study, an honors college, ability to double major and graduate in four years, an active Greek life, an active club volleyball team. The only real externals were somewhere in the south other than Tennessee. So her criteria is much more abundant so it’s no wonder she has liked a lot of schools. I apologize for not realizing that others may have such different criteria making school choices tougher.</p>

<p>No apology needed BigDaddy! I love these dialogues. Funny your DD’s criteria are very similar to mine except the volleyball! I hope they both end up at Bama! If the scholarship doesn’t pan out, DD will find another place to love I am sure!</p>

<p>If a Student is fortunate enough to know their intended area of study, then I believe that finding a respected program in THAT major should be a top criterion in selecting a college.</p>

<p>Visited officially yesterday and today. My son was at SITE all week. We asked reps in the admissions, scholarship & honors college about 2014-2015 scholarships. Each time they were uncomfortable and somewhat evasive until we asked directly about the Presidential. Each time we were assured that the Presidential was NOT going to change. My son was told the same thing at a SITE presentation. </p>

<p>My guess is, that the lower levels have changes in the works. Can’t say what. They all said “in the next couple of weeks.”</p>

<p>This is too much stress. Haha, guess it makes up for the incredibly simple application process.</p>

<p>Anyone know about the engineering department scholarships and whether or not those will change? If the Presidential stays the same, it’s a relief for me, but my best friend is banking on the engineering scholarship for a 30 ACT that brings it up to full tuition.</p>

<p>RELEASE THE KRAKKEN… I mean… RELEASE THE SCHOLARSHIP INFO!</p>

<p>Almostlimitless, S3 is interested in Alabama too but only has a 31 ACT score. Wants to major in Mechanical Engineering so we are hoping that the engineering 1/3 scholarship tuition does not change either. Of course he is taking the ACT is September so perhaps he can bump it up to a 32+ for the Presidential.</p>

<p>Yes, this is your stress of the college application season. You just put it in perspective for me!</p>

<p>HELLO EVERYONE! Cheergirl has just added "Bama to her list and we are scrambling to learn more about it. She’s a rising senior in Montgomery County, Maryland, 3.7-UW GPA and 4.4-W GPA, not great test scores: 27-ACT (super-scored) and SAT: 1,220/1,760. Captain of Varsity Cheer and other good ECs.</p>

<p>Maryland/College Park has been our first choice (our flagship) but not sure she’ll get in. Also looking at University of Delaware and University of Indiana. Cheergirl wants medium to large RAH RAH school with Greek system and respected academics, I want a Jewish presence, not necessarily large, but committed. And not necessarily religious, but cultural.</p>

<p>I’ve seen that there’s a Hillel on campus. Does anyone know how involved the UA kids are in Hillel, and if Tuscaloosa is a tolerant area?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Bump…for cheermom…sorry I don’t have answers for you…if you don’t get a response here…PM Chardo…pretty sure his son is active at the Hillel…</p>

<p>Two threads that may be helpful for cheermom</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1429030-being-jewish.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1429030-being-jewish.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1304688-advice.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1304688-advice.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Dad2ILD’s D is on the board of the Hillel - I’m sure he would answer a PM if you have specific questions.</p>

<p>I just learned from my admissions counselor that they aren’t planning any changes for the out of state merit scholarships for 2014-15…so both the full tuition Presidential and the 2/3 UA Scholar will have the same score requirements as in the past. Don’t know about the instate and/or departmental…but that is good news indeed.</p>

<p>Cheermom- did you see my response to you on the Jewish student thread about the Hillel?</p>

<p>Calmom, I’m trying to not get my hopes up. I tried 4 times to get the 1400 necessary, and if it doesn’t guarantee full tuition anymore…</p>

<p>I mean, who doesn’t want a full ride to roll tide? They need to update the requirements.</p>