Provost's Scholars Leadership Academy?

<p>I just got an email from Arizona inviting me to join this program in the thread title. Did anyone else get invited to join and is anyone currently in this program?</p>

<p>Also, the deadline to join says April 1st but I just got this email now. If I decide to join, is it too late?</p>

<p>Um can someone tell me a little more about this? Bumpp</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of it. I skimmed the description and it sounds like one of those classes that trick freshman into wasting their time for 1 lousy credit (Preceptorship, Honors Pallidins, Quest classes, etc etc). All 1 credit and meant to teach you life skills or some crap like that which is really pointless.</p>

<p>That’s what I think, however, the description also mentions involvement with campus activities. If I do choose to go to U of A, I would like to be involved (sort of like ASB in high school). Do you think that is the same thing, or is there another way to be involved in campus ASB style? I plan to rush for a Fraternity, but I would also like to help plan events and stuff.</p>

<p>I looked it up here:</p>

<p>[Provost’s</a> Scholars Leadership Academy](<a href=“http://arizonaleadership.orgsync.com/org/provostsscholarsleadershipacademy/]Provost’s”>http://arizonaleadership.orgsync.com/org/provostsscholarsleadershipacademy/)</p>

<p>Seems kinda interesting. I have a HS junior who is also looking at this college</p>

<p>I’m not sure what ASB is, but I’m guessing it means something like HS student council? As far as I’m aware there isn’t any sort of central activities planning people like there is in high school (the whole college = do whatever you want independence type thing). Reading the description again, it still reads like they’re trying to inflate how valuable the experience will actually be. General rule of thumb is every class is a waste of time except for a select few in junior / senior years, so I look at everything nowadays with a pessimistic view. If you’re looking for something to do in your free time, there’s loads of clubs and groups on campus though.</p>

<p>This looks like a huge leech on your time. It might be worth it, but it seems like a big commitment for an incoming frosh. I’d look into the Blue Chip Program if you really want to hone leadership skills and meet people or you could simply join some clubs.</p>

<p>Although the 1 hour a week does stack and can add up to be a significant amount of time spent, what does UA gain from this? Would you say it’s more positive than negative and will actually help the students? I think somewhere in their description they talk about an internship?</p>

<p>*ASB=Associated Student Body</p>

<p>@OG-J … one of my CS friends who is a senior did the blue chip thing and said to stay away. Something about wasting time and taking half your pay.</p>

<p>@EndPhase. I doubt whatever internship they give you will actually matter on your resume unless you’re in some random useless major like art. An engineering firm wants to see engineering internships, not random 4 hour a week office secretary stuff. I also don’t believe anything they can do will truly “help” except for a select few who are totally clueless and won’t do well in college anyways. At least that’s been my experience with these sorts of things…regurgitation of common sense.</p>

<p>If I may make a suggestion, find out if you can drop the one hour lecture / leave the program easily. Then get in the first week, get the involvement referral whatever, and drop it. All the potential benefits and no time commitment :)</p>

<p>My Breakdown of their Benefits:</p>

<pre><code>Learn about their leadership styles, hone their public speaking skills, learn effective networking strategies, and engage in personal goal setting.
</code></pre>

<p>:::You can’t learn leadership and you’ll only annoy people you try to use their “styles” on. Public speaking isn’t a problem really once you do it a bit and you get older. Networking is probably going to be something stupid like “contact all your CEO friends and ask for a job”. Personal goal setting? What is this elementary school?
–Hear from/interact with speakers from the campus and community related to their class focus (introspection, innovation, illumination, interconnection).
:::Yawn. I’d skip that day.
–Engage in behind the scenes field trips to see leadership in action based on the focus of the course such as tours, immersions, observations, and leader shadowing.
::: How is this helpful? Again what is this, elementary school and we’ll hold hands through a museum?
–Engage in community service related to the focus of the course.
::: Going to be a huge waste of time and logistically difficult.
–Develop a leadership portfolio.
::: Why?
–Receive a leadership certificate.
::: Oh yeah employers will trip over themselves wanting to hire you after seeing this.</p>