PSA - Fall "transfer" 2020 - Updates, Q/A, Information

oops

I just love jumping through hoops! The PSA kids have all attended a system school and provided their proof of vaccination. The simple thing would be for that to transfer with them.

Timing will be an issue with high school transcripts too.

@JaceyK Weā€™ve all got this far in the process (yeah :wink: ) & fingers crossed weā€™ll make it to the end ā€¦so I guess just being aware now of this immunization requirement helps with summer / vacation planning. Other responses Iā€™ve read re. late NSC dates tend to indicate there are still plenty classes/registration spots availableā€¦

If everyone has to go through it, then I donā€™t think itā€™ll be too big of a hiccup, BUT always good to know about it!!!

@tisulli @JaceyK @AggieMomhelp
I also would have thought /hoped that the vaccine verification our kiddos already submitted to their current schools couldā€™ve been transferred over/uploaded but in the video it quite def states only this Med+Proctor certificate will be accepted as proof of vaccination.
All admitted students to TAMU have to go thru this process so it must work -it was really just the time implication for our guys that caught my attention.
Weā€™ll get there!

HOWDY! Our daughter just received her PSA offer to transfer Fall of 2021. Anyone deep dive compare PSA vs. PTA before you made decision? I understand the + hours & + GPA requirements for PTA, and am curious if anyone can tell me why your student went one way or another. She has 12 dc hours that meet requirements already. And, if she does PTA, she will be taking Summer I & Summer II sessions at a local cc to get foreign language out of way. TIA for your wisdom!

DC will not count towards PTA or PSA requirements. They will count towards 24 credits for a straight transfer.

Whatā€™s her major?

@AggieMomhelp Actually, DC will count towards any bold required classes; however, they are still required to complete 24 hours at the system school. Per TAMUā€™s FAQ:

ā€œWhat if I already have dual credit for a bolded italicized course?
Dual credit can be used to satisfy a bolded italicized course. However, you will still be required to complete at least 24 hours in residence at a single system school by the end of the spring semester of your first year in college.ā€

I was just referring to the number of credits. Someone had mentioned prior to today that DC counts towards the 30 hours for PTAā€¦ so I just wanted to be clear on the number of hours. Getting specific into the bolded classes was not my intention.

@2NDGENAGGIE my son chose the PSA route because of the guaranteed admission if he successfully completed the requirements. PSA would get him to CSTAT quicker than PTA and he could attend a system school in the process. I think he also had 12 DC hours. Those hours allowed him to take two history courses (from the not required section) that he knew he could ace to help boost his gpa. Heā€™s at Tarleton and loves the campus and the kids. He chose Tarleton because he knew he could stay there if the PSA route didnā€™t work out. It hasnā€™t been easy! The required courses for his major have been tough. Heā€™s had to spend many nights in the library so he could focus on his studies while everyone else was having a good time. Heā€™s become VERY driven and I believe the PSA program has been a huge factor in pushing him toward success. And, the time has flown by really fast. He hasnā€™t had time to dwell on not being where he thought he would be. For him, it has been a positive experience and great opportunity. As a parent, Iā€™m 100% confident it was the best choice for him.

Yā€™all are lucky to find out she received PSA so early. I think it was April before we heard.

@2NDGENAGGIE Sorry I didnā€™t answer your question - my son considered all 3 routes: PSA, PTA & straight transfer. He chose PSA because the requirements were less rigorous than PTA, and he liked the guaranteed admission vs straight transfer.

My DD also looked at both PSA and PTA. I would have loved for her to go the PTA route and spend an extra year at home, but she settled on PSA at TAMU-CC. I think for her the biggest deciding factor was the opportunity to start out at a 4 year university and get into the swing/habit.

I shared with her my experience starting out at a community college to try and save money and attempting to put myself through school. I then went a few years of not going to school before I finally went back and finished my Associates, and another few years and a kid later got my Bachelorā€™s. She was afraid that without the getting into it she could follow a similar path. She really is just like her Dad.

She spent one year at Corpus, made Deanā€™s List and hit all of the requirements while being well supported by Bill Coari and his team there. She is now in College Station, and doing very well in her classes, and also got a job within her Department.

It is a very long slow process, but just check the boxes and it will all work out in the end. I believe we got the official acceptance in around the middle of June. And were at NSC in mid-July.

As others have mentioned, once NSC opens up keep looking as spots open up as folks cancel out of their slot.

@2NDGENAGGIE
When DS received PSA offer, right from the get go we looked upon it as an offer opportunity rather than ā€˜soft rejectionā€™. We did consider PSA, PTA & straight transfer but the guaranteed pathways of both PSA or PTA were a drawing factor and we were fortunate his major had a direct participating College/Dept route. We liked the fact he could be adjusting/learning ā€˜how to do collegeā€™ ie. living away from home, in a dorm, mirroring as much of a college life experience as possible albeit on a smaller (& initially as a young Freshman) a potentially more manageable version of where he hoped to get to = College Station.
Of the total number of PSA students within the combined 8 system schools, around 50% actually make it back to CS for the following Fall. The reasons for this are varying - they donā€™t attain the required GPA/hrs; donā€™t get application & necessary attachments/transcripts in by deadline date, itā€™s just not ā€˜a fitā€™ for them (all colleges have this natural ā€˜fall offā€™ of students looking to change, move on, transfer)) BUT a lot actually really enjoy /settle in where they are & choose to remain there.
We have always kept the end goal in mind but ultimately we wished him to consider a choice that should he not make it, for whatever reason, he would hopefully still be in a place where he could happily stay on & continue to study his desired major. PTA route doesnā€™t have this safety net.

@scotsfi We submitted the meningitis form to Med+Proctor. In AIS there is a link beside BACTERIAL MENINGITIS PROOF OF VACCINATION (Details) Click on"Details" it will take you through the the registration process and you can upload the meningitis form through their portal. It took a day or so but now it is showing the green check mark in AIS.

@OMGdontblink Oh Wow! Awesome - Thanks so much for sharing:) All sounds so much easier/manageable than the scenario I interpreted - phew!

@2NDGENAGGIE Our son chose the PSA route because he would only have one year there and then had guaranteed admission to TAMUCS. He is currently attending TAMU Corpus Christi and it has been a really good fit for him. He had 30 hours between dual credit and AP so we had to be very careful with classes that he could take at TAMUCC. He did not have a lot of options. But they are really good about working with the PSA kids and getting them in the classes they need. He has really thrived there and met several other PSA kids he has become friends with. We felt he had a better experience of starting at a smaller school. Good luck!

PTA is a guaranteed admit after completion too.

Howdy, I am a second-year Blinn student and I am wondering what are my chances for admission to the college of Landscape architecture? My GPA is 2.52. I know my GPA is low but I have some personal stuff that I have gone through in my life. But I have many volunteer hours, A LOR from my uncle who was a graduate from TAMU for landscape architecture. I have completed the required courses for admission with a C or better. The minimum GPA for admission is 2.5 but I know it would be helpful the higher the GPA you have.

@babufrik1 I donā€™t know how competitive it is but I do know itā€™s a small group. You are barely squeaking by on that GPA to even be able to apply. If your essay shines through on whatever hardships youā€™ve had, then they could take a chance on you, but honestly I think you need to take another semester and beef up that GPA. Get a job in the field to show your passion for it in whatever field yourā€™re looking at within the major. For instance, golf course if thatā€™s your passion, or residential landscape or commercial. You are going to need something to set you a part. Your LOR is not going to hold much weight, Iā€™m afraid.

Not trying to be the bad guy here, but wanted to be real with you.

@2NDGENAGGIE you are right that PTA is also guaranteed admin but it could be longer than a year (depending on prerequisites). I donā€™t think the dual credit your daughter took in high school goes toward the 30 hours required in the PTA program. The 30 hours must be after high school. PTA wasnā€™t a route for my son because he had already taken 5 of the classes listed on the PTA form so it would not work for him. He chose PSA. You have to follow the requirements for each program very carefully. @AggieMomhelp @2xAggieMom @Thelma2 might also be able to share their expertise. They have been so helpful to all of us going through this process.

From the PTA program:
Complete 30 consecutive hours after high school graduation in residency at any Texas community college or a combination of Texas community colleges
ļ‚· Complete all required coursework shown below in bold italics with a grade of B or better. The other class requirements would refer specifically to her major.