Purdue Class of 2027 Official Thread

Absolutely. Will do.

CIT claims it is ranked #4, does anyone know the link to confirm? My daughter applied the wrong major. She intended to apply CS. I am not sure it is worth to pay OOS tuition for CIT.

I wouldn’t pick a school by a ranking. Have you daughter look at the 4 year plan of study for CIT vs the schools where she has a CS acceptance. In general, my opinion is a student should go to the school where they have been accepted for their preferred major.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice! I am not familiar with this field or the school. Just use the ranking to help my decision from value/expense perspective.

Now I got the decision. rejected.

After going to the Purdue’s for Me, and learning more about the LLC’s, my son is interested in Global Engineering and Data in the world of engineering. Does anyone have feedback on either of those? Thank you.

Agreed on EA. We are OOS. DD applied EA to FYE & Honors and was accepted with a very good scholarship. DD is probably 5th in her class of @ 400. A girl who is basically tied with DD applied for FYE & Honors, but in the RD cycle instead of EA. She was waitlisted.

3 Likes

Students forget that in addition to the entire applicant pool that they have to consider who else from the same high school is applying to Purdue (or any college). I liken it to auditioning for a play. lots of people can fill a spot. In your daughter’s classmate’s case, Purdue already had a high achieving female from that high school (your daughter) and for whatever reason didn’t want/need another for its enrollment goals.

1 Like

OOS son got accepted to CS and he is pretty sure to go to Purdue. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to join the Purdue For Me events. Which LLCs would you recommend for CS students? Thanks

My OOS daughter was recently accepted into Purdue’s CS program during RD. Purdue wasn’t on her short list initially so hence the RD timing on our part instead of trying for EA. After reading up a bit it seems any scholarships from the school are handed out during the EA process. Am I understanding correctly that the RD accepted kids are not eligible for scholarships in their first year? Let me know if I’m misunderstanding how the scholarship application process works at Purdue.

You are correct. Merit scholarships are only available for students who applied in EA.

2 Likes

As Momofboiler1 said, merit scholarships are awarded for the EA round. Very few CS or engineering majors get those anyway. All but a few of them are used to entice the kids applying to the less popular and less selective majors. Purdue prefers to give away fewer scholarships so it can keep the price low for everyone. Their out-of-state cost of attendance isn’t far off from the in-state rates at many other flagships.

3 Likes

Disclaimer - I don’t know much about the CS program as my son will be starting FYE. However the Data Mine appears to be a popular LLC for CS students based on what we heard at a Purdue for Me event last month. Others on this thread may have more insight.

2 Likes

DataMine

1 Like

Hello all, my son just got accepted to Purdue Engineering (off the waitlist!) and I was wondering where on the portal we could look for any financial aid or scholarship information. Thank you!

Congratulations! A financial aid offer would be on the student portal, but expect to pay full price. Purdue doesn’t give much aid to out-of-state or international students, and when they do, the bulk of it goes to students in their less popular majors (they don’t need to spend to attract students in their engineering, computer science or professional flight majors). I will say it is a great program and worth every penny, but part of how Purdue keeps tuition low for everyone is by using their small aid budget very strategically. That said, they haven’t raised tuition in 12 years, and they are cheaper than most flagships in and outside of the midwest.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s what I was thinking too. To be honest, even full price they are very competitive with his other choices. We’re in PA so our state universities are on the pricier side. This just came out of nowhere so now we have a couple of days to re-think those choices. His major is Aero so Purdue is a great option!

2 Likes

We haven’t heard anything yet. My son’s first preference was mechanical which should be similar to Aero? I guess waitlist is ranked I am assuming since we are also OOS unless they are looking to diversify by attracting kids from less represented states?

Hi, My D23 just found out that she was accepted. The admission letter is dated April 27th, but she only checked the portal today, supposedly no email update.
Anyway, the question is, the admit letter says: “offer you admission to Engineering (First-Year) in the College of Engineering at West Lafayette”, but there is no mention of the specific engineering. Do the Engineering admit letters state the specific engineering? If so, is it to be found elsewhere? My daughter had applied for Area of Interest as Computer Engr. The Office at Purdue is closed for the day, so we will reach out tomorrow.

Congrats to your daughter! Purdue doesn’t admit direct into a field of engineering—everyone does the First Year Engineering program and then mid-year the students apply for their particular field which they will begin to study their sophomore year. Something like 95% of the kids get into the major they want but some are harder than others.

2 Likes