Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

what do you mean called? On the phone? at what point in the process?

After he was admitted. Before May 1st. Yes. On the phone. The director of the music program or something. To persuade the kid to come to Stanford.

1 Like

Got it! interesting.

correction yes FYE (he chose Aero as focus). Re. Rec Letters – Although he did not see the letters, he had conversations w/all his submitters after completion and he felt that they all backed him nicely. His Leadership teacher and Business (IB) teacher were very close to him and his matriculation. Anyways, it’s just a feeling based on his relationships with them
but of course you never know.

1 Like

Do most people accept their offers right away or wait until they have heard from other schools?

I think many wait not just to hear from other admissions, but for full financial packages, honors college responses, etc
 Purdue has a thing I haven’t seen before which is having to submit a housing contract with a deadline two weeks before the universal May 1 college decision date. It looks like the housing contract needs to be done after the deposit is made so, that moves up the decision date in my mind to April 15th. My oldest son applied to a school in Florida that needed a housing deposit prior to the deposit date to hold a place in housing, but it wasn’t a housing contract nor was it required after the May 1 deposit date. My son loves Purdue so, we will probably submit the deposit after he does the admitted students day.

1 Like

That April date is new this year. It used to be May 1st. At least decisions will all be in by then.

@DHark - Most of the students we knew waited before accepting, especially OOS applicants.

Historically, Purdue doesn’t do dorm assignments early, nor does it impact course registration.

2 Likes

I called the housing department. They said replying by April 15 guarantees you on campus housing. But, it is not first come first serve.

6 Likes

Any Merit?

1 Like

Pj42 those are some awesome Stats. Deserving of merit IMO

It may depend on whether the school you received an acceptance from is your first choice where you will attend no matter what, or maybe whether you think you might get a better financial offer from a school not your first choice but could be significantly more affordable. Sometimes the decision whether to accept will be made after an “admitted student day” and the student sees his/her future classmates.

With some schools, there may be a benefit to an earlier acceptance – priority in residence hall assignments, for example. Lots of potential considerations can incentive you in pulling the trigger sooner or later; so it really depends on your individual situation.

2 Likes

Some stats I just looked at our Scoir for Purdue - OOS high school class of 2022. 7 boys admitted to engineering - gpa range 3.98-4. ACT 30-35. Another 1 CS, a couple of misc. majors.

FYI - my son reached out to the Honors Program via email. He was advised the following "Honors College Admission decisions are being rolled out in batches and will continue through the end of February. " There may not have been verbiage in your child’s acceptance letter about the honors program, but there is still a possibility he/she has been accepted.

3 Likes

Another thing is that the Common Data set represents the enrolled students, not admitted, so tends to skew lower. There were likely students admitted with much higher stats but who chose to enroll elsewhere.

2 Likes

did the director see his performance or meet him in person? What makes him so positive unlike sports which has real stats?

In the music world there are metrics you reach in terms of being on the national youth orchestra or all state youth orchestra etc. These are well known metrics in that space. These kids are targeted nationally by the top schools to come and be on their university orchestras, which they take very very seriously.

1 Like

Is the merit scholarship not considered for students who didn’t submit the SAT/ ACT test scores? Any idea anyone?

I don’t have any intention to undermine the level or quality of the rec letters that your kid’s received but always wondering how a student can say if it’s good or not because nobody actually sees it. Same for the essays. You can never say it’s a good fit unless an admission officer comments on it. :slight_smile:

mine was a subjective point to which one can disagree with. i’ll say that my only rationale for saying that they were “good” was based on the editorial review/guidance from parents and friends (college professors) that lead to several discussions and re-writes; and for the rec letters – the value of the relationships built w/counselors and teachers over time, and the supporting points my son provided for each writer — all lead to a feeling that they seemed “good”

ultimately the worthiness of a letter or an essay is in the eye of the AO. I suppose if they were not good, it would’ve hurt his acceptance chances.

My son was just accepted into Exploratory Studies, which is his first choice major as he is undecided. We went with DS to an Exploratory Studies information session when he visited Purdue, lead by the ES program directors. They specifically said if you want to major in CS and are not admitted to Purdue as a CS major, do not go to Purdue, there will not be a space in CS for you. CS very rarely EVER takes someone from Exploratory Studies. They said if you know you want CS, you should only go to a school that admits you into its CS program. The demand from students that want to major in CS at all colleges is very high, colleges simply cannot meet the demand because there is not a large enough supply of instructors to teach CS classes.

Last month my DS says he may want to go into Nursing. I said this is a problem because Purdue is your first choice and its Nursing program is direct-admit and very competitive, only accepting 10% of its freshman nursing school applicants. I called Purdue’s Nursing school and asked what are the chances DS can get into Nursing school after he spends his first year as an Exploratory Studies major? Is there a pathway? What is that pathway? They gave me all of these answers.

2 Likes