Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Thanks for sharing the info. My son was accepted into his second choice, exploratory studies. His primary is/was (chemical) engineering. How difficult is it to get in engineering from Exploratory? thanks

The head of exploratory studies is active on our parent FB group and posted last week that things have changed and there is no guarantee that there will be room in engineering for someone who starts in exploratory studies, regardless of grades. She suggested calling the exploratory studies department directly to discuss, but said if you are in engineering elsewhere, that is a safer option than going to Purdue.

That said, chem e is not as popular as some other engineering majors and doesn’t necessarily close out every year. I would call and get more information.

1 Like

The person to speak to in exploratory studies is Jo Boileau

2 Likes

For my son at least, both of his recommenders told him the recs they wrote were good
he never actually saw the recs, but has good relationships with both of his recommenders and they said things to him like, “you’d be happy”. “one of the best I’ve written in a while”, and “I wish I could write more like the one I did for you, you made writing this easy” They both chatted with him before the wrote the recs and asked him for a resume and a brief summary of the things they should highlight. So yes, he have no idea what they wrote and at the end of the day I don’t think this is a huge piece in admissions. Most students are going to ask recommenders that will say positive things about them so, I don’t think admissions places a huge amount of weight on this piece unless a truly negative letter is written. My 2 cents anyway

1 Like

I think recs matter a lot. You should ask people that you think will write effusive letters about you, two preferably from the school. Others can be people you know from a different setting – extra-curricular / service etc. You can have more than two letters. Sometimes the counsellor’s letter can summarize and take the best excerpts from the “surplus” letters you have over two if the college accepts only 2+1 (counsellor). The counsellor can pick and choose which recs they would send and which ones they would excerpt, based on the college if you have 4 or 5 recs. Recs matter especially when the student is going from a school which the college is used to hearing regularly from, because the college can then calibrate what the rec means. And if the college is not used to taking kids from a particular school, then it is hard for them to judge what the rec means – in which case the rec better be extra effusive. I have heard that some colleges keep track of how kids from a high school that come highly recommended have done through the four years – so the colleges are doing their own calibration.

Oh, I think they matter, but not as much as the weight of the other required items. Our counselor doesn’t pick and choose which ones are sent-we do that on our end in the system in place at our school. Many schools will allow additional letters and we have done that as well for mentors outside of the school. I’ve been to many information session (on my 3rd child now applying to schools) where this was downplayed by the admissions reps as being a real pivotal piece
literally the words out of a rep from a low admit university were that most kids will have positive recs so, unless one is glaringly bad we assume that most if not all will be positive. I think they matter, which is why my son chose the recommenders he did and worked with them to make sure they knew all he was doing inside and outside of the classroom, but at the end of the day those activities, his leadership roles in them, and his time spent on them are far more important.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice!

Thank you

what is the name of the FB group? Thanks

1 Like

I was told it isn’t up and running yet but that parents would be getting an email soon. When I hear something, I will post here. I believe my D’s year it was something like “Purdue Parents and Guardians admitted class of _____”

2 Likes

Does anyone know anything about Marquis Scholarships?

I’ve seen it mentioned for instate students, but can’t find any info on the school’s site.

Direct into Krannert. 1340 SAT, 4.34 W GPA, OOS ¶. Was also invited to Larsen Leaders Academy. Congrats to everyone else that got in.

2 Likes

Congrats. Was there a separate application for Larsen? I was admitted to Krannert as my second choice major but no hearing on Larsen

I’m not sure if there’s a separate application, I got an email that said that I was into Krannert and that I was automatically a part of Larsen.

1 Like

No merit unfortunately. I was a bit surprised at first, but after seeing some people with similar states not receiving merit, I guess it makes sense.

If no merit aid, and if not eligible for need based aid (FAFSA EFC > COA), then it looks like the net price will be equal to the cost of attendance, which I calculated as $40,874 (tuition+room/board) for OOS FYE. Does that seem right? Just setting my expectation, since they won’t have this estimate until March I believe.

Yep, that’s about right. It could be slightly more or less depending on dorm type.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting thing I found for Purdue concerning free speech on campus (if that interests anyone in their college decision): Free Speech Rankings

You can see what some students have to say, and then a score from FIRE. This can be beneficial to students with viewpoints on either side of the aisle
I looked at their rankings for most of my schools! There are also speech codes like green, yellow, red, warning. Purdue is green, like UChicago and some other schools.

Purdue also adopted the Chicago Principles for Free Speech and Expression, as other schools have done so as well.

1 Like

I know it’s late but I was accepted to DS and Honors College with a Presidential Scholarship.
ACT 35
GPA 3.9 unweighted, 4.5 weighted

8 Likes

Congrats. Was DS your 1st choice major?