Purdue University Acceptances - Class of 2025

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about Purdue-West Lafayette. Maybe someone else here can help?

I used to live in Fort Wayne, IN
Campus is mostly commuter. Used to only be one building of dorms (could be more now) Location is on the north side of Fort Wayne, near mall. Would be about 1 1/2 hours northeast of Purdue WL

Does Purdue consider demonstrated interest?
Does yield matter much?
Purdue is my S22’s top choice. OOS Engineering and business.

Purdue’s 2020-2021 CDS lists “Level of applicant’s interest” as “Considered” in the admission decision, so yes.

Question C7.

1 Like

Don’t think so. My son showed 0 interest and was accepted in CS. He still has shown no interest. Hasn’t visited or watched a virtual tour. We were going to visit on April 24 as late as possible to see if he got off the waitlist elsewhere or in somewhere else, which is exactly what happened. Pretty sure they’re big on stats, and qualifications.

1 Like

Thanks. So it’s not important like it is at Case Western or Tulane where a top student getting into T30 schools is denied or WL if not showing commitment.

Don’t believe so. Both Case and Tulane imo kind of pull a bait and switch. Make you think they really want you and get you to really want them, and then defer you unless you apply ED and you’re hooked. I do know kids who go to Tulane do love it and they did great with Covid.

1 Like

When it comes down to a single anecdotal data point among 50,000+ applicants and what Purdue actually says is important in their admission process, I’m going to come down on the side of Purdue being the experts on Purdue’s admissions process.

2 Likes

You can see from that data set you supplied (p8) that they don’t consider it important at all which is what you just said, “When it comes down to a single anecdotal data point among 50,000+ applicants and what Purdue actually says is important in their admission process, I’m going to come down on the side of Purdue being the experts on Purdue’s admissions process.”

However, in actuality, they only “consider” it as evidenced on page 8 of the report to such a small extent that there are other items they do consider “important” or even “very important”. Extracurriculars, character/personal qualities, and first generation are viewed as more important than showing demonstrated interest.

My son attended a virtual admissions thing over the summer and that was the extent of his demonstrated interest. I think as long as your child does that it counts.

1 Like

The question was “Does Purdue consider demonstrated interest?”

I replied “Purdue’s 2020-2021 CDS lists “Level of applicant’s interest” as “Considered” in the admission decision, so yes.”

The 20-21 CDS I’m looking at has an ‘x’ under “Considered”’. I just checked again.

Can you explain if/why you believe the response is factually inaccurate? :thinking:

In your response you said it is important. My response to you was that they do not consider it important.

The reason I consider it factually innacurate is no different than what I said originally. My son showed 0 interest in Purdue. Never watched a virtual tour. Didn’t sign up for the virtual visit at our school. Has never visited or done anything whatsoever to Purdue. Decided to apply 2 days before the EA due date to CS as a safety and because the essays were easy. That was his first contact with the school ever. Maybe for some people they “consider” demonstrated interest, but clearly in this case and the many other kids in our school that never showed any interest and now are deciding if they want to consider it and go visit they obviously don’t. Who knows, maybe they have success with students from our high school and don’t care about demonstrated interest? No idea. But it obviously wasn’t a factor here. We also do not live in Indiana.

Thanks to both of you and @skkm0906
In aggregate I take away that Purdue considers an applicant’s interest but when you have the stats that skkm’s and srparent15’s sons have (i.e., Purdue OOS $$ and T25 offers), lack of interest or minimal interest doesn’t outweigh great stats.

Hopefully it can be a tip for a ORM OOS student like mine. :wink: My son is hoping for a 1400 SAT and has lots of course rigor, solid but not spectacular grades, Eagle Scout and multi-year camp counselor and sports captain. It’s Purdue, SMU or UT-Austin. However, he asked me if Syracuse was a good school and sent in a card for U Miami. Case and Lehigh are outliers but our EFC is rather high so I like Purdue’s moderate OOS costs given its quality. A very good value.

It’s definitely an excellent OOS value if money is an issue. UT-Austin is a huge reach for anyone OOS and is very expensive for OOS as well, so keep that in mind. If Engineering, CS or Business it’s exceptionally difficult to get into those majors in or OOS. Also, with Engineering at UT you apply to the specific major and you’re sort of stuck in it if you don’t like it. It’s very difficult to transfer to other Engineering majors or to transfer into ENgineering or into CS there which is not in Engineering. Just as an fyi. I have a kid there and academically it’s amazing!!

This is simply false.

I replied “Purdue’s 2020-2021 CDS lists “Level of applicant’s interest” as “Considered” in the admission decision, so yes.”

The only place the word “important” appears in any of my replies. is “what Purdue actually says is important in their admission process, I’m going to come down on the side of Purdue being the experts on Purdue’s admissions process.” which is also true.

Or do you disagree that Purdue AO knows best what is and isn’t important in their admission process?

If the question was “does being an alumni matter” and I responded, “no it doesn’t and Purdue AO is the best source for what is and isn’t important”, would you claim I said being an alumni is important?

I stand by my answer to “ Does Purdue consider demonstrated interest?”” as yes, it is Considered.

Let OP know if you disagree with this, and why.

Dude, let it go and move on…

Hi, I was admitted to UT Austin, Purdue, and UIUC for Aerospace Engineering. I would appreciate advice on all three for which is the better school for Aerospace Engineering or better school in general(if cost is not a factor).

Thanks in advance!

Can’t go wrong with any of these schools! Do you have a preferred location? UT is the one school of the three that is in a big, bustling city. Purdue is the “cradle of astronauts” and has it’s own airport and flight school on campus. UIUC has a solid engineering program as well.

@lightningspeed Agree with @momofboiler1 but one thing to really look at is that at UT which is an amazing engineering program, if you don’t like it and want to change majors into another engineering program, you most likely won’t be able to. You also probably won’t be able to change into Computer Science which is not in Engineering and will just have to suck it up in Aerospace or some other less competitive major like Math or Physics.

At UIUC you’re already in the Aerospace Engineering and you can more easily transfer however likewise CS is going to be a hard one. But any other one even ME at UIUC won’t be difficult.

Purdue best costwise as an OOS, you get the FYE experience but @momofboiler1 can confirm that you are technically not in Aerospace until after freshman year when you apply and then get in and it can be competitive and not everyone gets in. I may be wrong but thought I read that somewhere.

You have to consider your interests and how committed you are. If 100% committed then look at what you want. Austin is HOT and students do not go into the tech area regularly but it is a fun but expensive town. Very demanding program. So are the others. Cannot go wrong with any of them and you should really try to make a visit and speak to current students in that specific program. It can make it or break it.

The transition to major program happens at the end of freshman year at Purdue. Here are the details:

Students who have completed all FYE requirements with a cumulative GPA > 3.20 and an EAI > 3.20 have the top priority in the T2M process. If the degree program is not over critical capacity, the student will be admitted to his or her first choice. Most programs are not at capacity and will accept all students who complete FYE requirements with GPA and EAI of 2.00 or greater. The professional schools have the option of accepting or declining a student based on a variety of academic factors, which may include GPA, EAI, grades in particular courses, probation status, and academic history. Transition to Major - School of Engineering Education - Purdue University

I haven’t heard of students above the 3.2 threshold getting closed out of aero. (Same can’t be said for BME).

3 Likes