***Purdue University: Class of 2023 Discussion/Decision Thread***

Accepted with Presidential Scholarship to FYE.
OOS. 33 ACT 4.3 GPA
Visiting Purdue Feb 25th for Purdue is for me day.

Trying to understand what my student’s FA statement means. I got this off of mypurdue:

Need Calculation:
COA: $45,894 (we are OOS)
Est. Family Contr: $19,213
Initial Need: $26,681
Outside Resource: $.00
Need: $23,181

Then below at bottom it reads:
Fed Direct Sub Loan: $3,500 (for both semesters)
Fed Direct Unsub Loan: $2,000 (again, for both sems)

I understand the loan part but is the part at top an award? Does it mean our EFC is $19,213 total? I will start looking around their site to see where this might be explained but if anyone knows quick answer, I’d appreciate.

@uniquefirsttry I believe it means that your FAFSA EFC is $19K, so you qualify for $5500 in Fed loans. Your unmet need is $23K. The school doesn’t guarantee to meet need, so the gap would need to be filled by you or outside scholarships or Parent Loans. Sorry.

Edited to add that the unsubsidized loan is not counted in the math, only the $3500. So using the additional unsubsidized option would bring your need down to $21K.

Thank you @peachActuary73 So they’re showing our unmet need but they’re not meeting it for us. Yes? Bummer.

NP. Looks like we overlap on 3 schools. Does WPI look any better for you? D recently ruled out UAH, but it was hard.@uniquefirsttry

My S was accepted to the honors college for Chemistry. Unfortuately, no merit aid. Crazy! He was a Park Scholar semifinalist at NC State. Very well rounded. We are OOS, ACT 35, GPA 4.54. Bummer that Purdue offered nothing.

@peachActuary73 WPI was much better merit and aid wise but they are much more expensive. I like WPI a lot. I feel there’s more student support there. Purdue just has such a rep for space but it’s a long shot at this point. Why did your D rule out UAH? Please lmk red flags if you know any. We are also looking at RIT SIT RPI Uconn Union Syracuse. He also got in KU and KSU but they’re far for us and he’s not that crazy about them.

@uniquefirsttry D loves Purdue (CS) and we’re visiting again. In our case, WPI is more expensive, but I like the size and it does seem more flexible. UAH was a great visit last year. We’re in the south, so convenient too. Absolutely no red flags. They don’t nickel and dime. So much was “included”, great facilities, and nearby internships and co-ops. She just ranks Purdue higher and her dad is willing to go up for it. She ranks UAH higher than GT, which is instate.

The other big question is if she is willing to give up FYE. In the schools where CS is in the engineering school, there is flexibility that first year to select major.

@doge123 Congratulations. No advantage to accepting before May 1. Remember if you do choose Purdue, you must separately accept admission and honors and apply for honor housing through the portal before May 5th.

My son has nothing on his My Purdue account related to financial aid. (No Tab or link). We expected some merit aid, but if not we expected at least a breakdown of cost to attend. Does anyone else not have a link or tab on their My Purdue page? Thanks!

@Momcho Do you have a New Student Task List? If so, scroll down to the bottom There may be a View Your Financial Aid Status link. Dont know if it appears if you don’t apply for Fin Aid.

@peachActuary73. You seem to understand the need calculation well. Our need calc is very similar to @uniquefirsttry. When you said that the gap would need to be met by the parents does that mean that @uniquefirsttrywould need to pay 21k? I guess I don’ understand EFC.

DD accepted to FYE and Honors, no merit.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted and received a good financial outcome!

@NorthernOhioMom In the financial summary, the family is on the hook for the EFC and the “Need” at the end. You have to sum both. If you receive no merit or financial aid, your “Initial Need” will only differ from your “Need” by the subsidized loan.

It is unfortunate that there is very little need based financial aid available for OOS.

Chiming in to say that I think what my statement from Purdue says is that we the family are paying full OOS boat if we send our son to Purdue. $45K+. Roughly same cost to send him to WPI which is closer, smaller but less known.

@uniquefirsttry If it makes you feel better, we are in state for Purdue, got a merit scholarship and honors and we are still leaning toward WPI!

WPI is very well known in the east coast. My son had Purdue and WPI among others as options last year. We are a Midwest family, so Purdue, even though out of state, would have been closer. We loved the WPI Plan, and the collaborative environment at WPI. He ended up choosing to go further away. He is loving his WPI experience.

Yes! I got into honors and I will be majoring in Food Science. My SAT is 1410, which is similar to your daughter’s score. I think she can manage it pretty well. I am thrilled to go to honors.

@cvv it is great to know that someone also is admitted to Nutrition dep. You don’t see that very often! Thank you, and best of luck to you! We are visiting in a couple of weeks, and hoping to get a sense of what it’s like to be there.

The honors program at Purdue is great and the extra class is very relaxed. If your student was selected, the university knows they will be successful! If your gpa falls, you have a semester to bring it back up so you aren’t just kicked out of honors.

All majors are equally represented as well.

I’m from India , haven’t received my decision yet.Do you know other people here who did not receive a decision yet?
?