Questions about Application

<p>Could someone explain the Early Decision/Action program? Should I do that?</p>

<p>Also, seeing as I want to be an Aerospace engineering major, would i be best off applying for universal studies and transferring or should I just apply Engineering?</p>

<p>What are my chances?</p>

<p>GPA: 88/100 (I think unweighted, tbh I'm not sure)
Class rank: 110 of 398(I attend a very well performing school, one of the best in Calvert County, which is one of the best Counties in Maryland, which is also one of the better states)
SAT : 1930(680 Math, 630 CR, 620 W)</p>

<p>English 9-10-11
Honors Bio
Honors Chem
Honors Physics
Honors Algebra 1&2
Honors Geometry
Honors Pre-Calc
Honors World History
AP US History
AP American Government
Naval Science 1-2-3
1/2 Gym + 1/2 Health
Programming in Java
AP Computer Science</p>

<p>Senior year I'm taking</p>

<p>AP Physics C: Mechanics
AP Calculus 1
AP European History(AP World if not enough students take Euro)
Honors English 12
Naval Science 4
A Fine arts credit of some sort
Gym(need another 1/2 credit)</p>

<p>I really want to attend VT, as I want to participate in the Corps of Cadets program. I cannot join the military because I'm medically dq'ed, and the VT CoC program is one of the few that allows you to be in a program like that and have no military commitment. Others have the same thing, but none are as good in Engineering as VT.</p>

<p>Early Decision means in VT tech’s case that if accepted you will attend Virginia Tech and you can not apply to any other schools until you are accepted or not accepted. </p>

<p>Early Action schools mean you apply early and know first if you are admitted and have the best chances at Merit scholarships but you are not committed to that school, can apply at other schools, and still have until May 1 to decide. </p>

<p>In our case we did not apply any Early Decision because our DD does not feel strongly about any school and has a good chance at Merit Scholarships so she will go the the university that is best overall including the most financially feasible. She is planning to go either to Med school or Vet school so our goal is to get a bachelors with little or no accumulated debt (ie. loans)</p>

<p>I am pretty sure ED you can apply to other colleges, just that you have to withdraw if accepted. But you can only apply to one school ED.</p>

<p>Here is the information from the website:</p>

<p>An Early Decision plan is available for freshman applicants who have strong academic qualifications and select Virginia Tech as their first-choice school. Those interested in the Early Decision plan must check that option at the top of the application form, sign the Early Decision statement, and submit all required credentials by November 1. Early Decision applicants are notified of their admission status by December 15. Applicants not offered admission at that time may be deferred and receive unbiased consideration in the regular admission process. In some cases, a student may be denied admission and will not be considered with the regular decision applicant pool. (Students denied admission during the early decision process should not reapply for regular decision admission, but may be considered for transfer admission after a year at another accredited college or university.)</p>

<p>The university stipulates that applicants who apply to Virginia Tech under the Early Decision plan agree, if accepted, to submit the $400 non-refundable matriculation fee to the university by January 15. This does not mean that Early Decision applicants cannot apply to other institutions, but rather that Virginia Tech is the only institution to which they have applied under Early Decision, and that if offered admission, they will withdraw their applications elsewhere and attend Virginia Tech. If a student does not accept the offer of admission by January 15, the offer will be withdrawn.</p>

<p>Virginia Tech does not do Early Action, only Early Decision.</p>

<p>So basically, if I apply for Early Decision, I agree to not apply to other schools Early Decision, and am required to pay a $400 fee if accepted. If I do not get accepted, I MIGHT get deferred to regular decision.</p>

<p>I don’t really see the point of Applying Early Decision, unless it gives me a better chance.</p>

<p>What about applying for engineering?</p>

<p>Some believe that applying early decision does provide a better chance of admission but it is unclear if that is actually true. If you are confident that Virginia Tech or (or any other spcific school for that matter) is definitely your school of choice–then apply early decision. The real benefit of applying Early Decision is that you MIGHT know earlier then your friends that you are going to the school of your choice. As stated above, different schools have different admission programs,
*Early Decision (normally binding)
*Eary Action (not normally binding)
*Restrictive Early Action (not binding but restricts your ability to apply to other schools via ED, or EA)
*Regualr Decision
Good luck</p>

<p>Early decision is good if you’re 100% sure you can afford to and want to go to VT mostly because it lets you know that you’re in and don’t have to worry about applications earlier than everyone else.</p>

<p>If you want to do engineering then apply engineering; transferring into orienteering is a nightmare that will set you back substantially.</p>