RD -Singer/Stamps

<p>Any 'RD' applicants invited? If so, please share your brief stats. RD only, please. :)</p>

<p>Bumping, and no RD’s got invited to Singer/Stamps? </p>

<p>As a matter of fact, I was really stunned I was not invited: I thought my stats deserved at least to be invited. When I talked with a scholarship person yesterday, she said that RD’s S/S invitation is much more competitive and that the SATI cut-off was really high. I told her my sat i was 1550. She was silent for a second and repeated that the competition was tough and that it is easier to get S/S in early round. I told her that they should have mentioned it to their website somewhere. She again was silent!</p>

<p>To me, it was clear that they did not want to give Singer/Stamp to RDers as much. Also, from seeing no RDs posting their S/S invitations here, I am suspecting perhaps they have not invited anybody at all…?</p>

<p>Pretty impressive SAT score there…higher than most I heard in the EA group that got the Singer invites. What were your other stats like - class rank, ACT, GPA, AP course grades, etc, etc…? Did you receive the University scholarship at least?</p>

<p>Note: there was only 1 Stamps invitation and that went out in early February - all Stamps candidates have been chosen and interviewed at this point. </p>

<p>I believe there were a total of 3 Singer weekends, 1st for those who applied EA and 2 more for those who applied RD. Maybe that was not the case, but I’m pretty sure it is.</p>

<p>I know it’s too late now, but why didn’t you apply EA? Especially if UM was one of your top choices…
~Zinc</p>

<p>there are 3 singer weekends.
the first two are EA (the second one is next weekend)
and then the last one which is in april is for RD</p>

<p>Hm… no RD CCers for Singer invites? It IS weird.</p>

<p>Can anyone give a general idea of what stats were required to win the scholarship( Singer). My D was invited, will be going on Friday. EA. Her SAT is lower than what they have published in the past and Im wondering what the chances are. Also. Any info on who gets the extra Gables $?</p>

<p>I guess ideally you’d want some Singer winners to chime in here. My daughter had pretty good stats and was invited to the Feb S/S weekend. She did not receive the Singer, however she did receive the Gables (4k) and Foote Fellowship. Just for refence her stats were:
SAT: 760-760-710
ACT: 33 (in hindsight, probably should not have reported this)
UW-GPA: 98.something
3 APs taken (all 5’s) - 3 AP in progres</p>

<p>I think the ACT score and her rank did her in on paper - she said the interview went well, but apparently not well enough. She may have been borderline, we’ll never know.</p>

<p>Sidebar: crappy thing about rank is that 3 of the 5 kids above her haven’t taken any AP or Honors classes at all…so in my mind she’s 3rd in her class…proud Poppa…
~Zinc</p>

<p>Daughter applied EA and was a Singer/Stamps finalist. She got the good news today that she will receive the full ride Stamps scholarship (emailed earlier this week, but we were out of the country with no email access). While she had strong scores and rank, I think what put her over the top was her true passion to community service. From looking at the stats thread, this seemed to be what set her apart (imo anyway).</p>

<p>I guess what Im trying to get a handle on is if everyone is equal going in to the interview with the interview being the deciding factor. My guess is no. Those with the higher stats are more likley to win.</p>

<p>Both stats and the interview are important. I got the Singer last year with a 35 ACT, 4.5 W GPA, and #3 class rank. On Saturday, I am helping with the Singer interviews, and am expected to fill out an evaluation form for each candidate I sit in on an interview with, which (along with the faculty evaluations, though mine is probably to a lesser degree) are considered along with academic stats when awarding the scholarship.</p>

<p>Could someone chime in an explain what the Gables scholarship is and who gets it? I asked at the Singer weekend and was told it was part of financial aid. That doesnt seem to mesh with whats posted on these boards. Could it be some sort of round about way of compensation for travel to the Singer weekend?</p>

<p>The Gables Scholarship is $4,000 per year totaling $16,000 over four years. It is an additional merit-based scholarship.</p>

<p>john_doe,</p>

<p>i received the Gables Scholarship after going to the Singer weekend, but the letter that gave me the scholarship made it sound like it was a one-time award of $4,000, not an annual award:</p>

<p>“We are pleased to notify you that you have been selected to receive the Gables Scholarship, a special additional scholarship, in the amount of $4,000. Of course, your University Scholarship – for $24,000 annually and totaling $96,000 over four years – remains in effect along with the new scholarship for $4,000.”</p>

<p>They specifically say “annually” when talking about the University Scholarship, but not when talking about the Gables. What makes you say that it’s an annual scholarship of $4,000?</p>

<p>At the Singer weekend yest, we were told that you only become a Foote fellow if you win the Singer. It seems that everyone who was invited to the Singer/Stamps got the Foote fellow. Yes?</p>

<p>i know multiple people invited to the Singer/Stamps weekend that did not receive the Singer but did become Foote Fellows, myself included, so it appears to be so.</p>

<p>^^ma22593 - the Gables scholarship is renewable annually, just like the University scholarship. This is not on the website. I asked admissions directly and this is what they told me (in writing).
~Zinc</p>

<p>thanks, zincwhiskers! that’s excellent!</p>

<p>Did anyone from last weeks Singer competition receive the scholarship?</p>

<p>i got the gables scholarship… my stats were on the low end but my interview went well</p>

<p>Yeah I only got the gables scholarship. I wasnt expecting to get the singer, but not getting foote fellows either is really disappointing.</p>