Regular Decision

<p>@sunmachine… I think that the aggressive push to get kids to apply ED is shameful. I think it only benefits them and not the students. My S was one of those kids. He originally applied EA… but CC was his #1 choice, so when they contacted him and asked if he would change his EA to ED he did… after my hesitation NOT to let him, I caved and let him. We needed a lot of FA… so guess what? They deferred him and then rejected him! I don’t think I will ever forgive them. My S is a perfect fit for the school, has wanted to go there since he was in 9th grade. Had top test scores, 3.6 GPA from a top prep school, thousand of volunteer hrs. Eagle Scout… etc. He has since been accepted to some great schools that must have really wanted him because he received tons of merit $… </p>

<p>He has been at a few admitted student days this week, and has found out that his story is not an isolated case. He talked to quite a few kids that had the same story… asked to switch their EA to ED, then deferred and rejected. I don’t think this strategy is doing CC any favors and they will probably see their app’s go down in the near future. I will never believe this is anything more than a ploy to get more full pay students and to make them seem more selective in the RD round… Unfortunately for CC the word is out!!</p>

<p>5boys’ son seemed very well-qualified and a great fit for the school. I’m sorry he was not admitted. bdenz12 must have been very well-qualified, too. CC is fairly generous with aid but is not a need-blind, full-need school. The reality is that it can be cheaper for them to entice a full-pay student with a merit discount than to admit another qualified student with a lower EFC. Colleges have to balance these (and other) judgments as all applications come in and all facts become known. Unfortunately, when the application numbers turn out to be way up and the available spots are down, you have a recipe for many disappointments. </p>

<p>I do agree that encouraging students to switch from EA to ED sends a signal that they are likely admits, which only compounds the disappointment of a rejection letter.</p>