Residence Halls guide for a prospective engineer?

<p>Hi there, I've just accepted my offer to become an industrial engineer at UW-Madison! It's a really big step for a teenager like me living in Thailand. The question I wanna ask is which hall do you suggest me to submit as my first choice? I want to live as close as I can to the classroom so I don't need to rush things out in the morning. Also is there a chance for freshmen to have a single bedroom with bath? Thank you in advances guys :)</p>

<p>The three closest dorms to the cluster of engineering buildings are Schlichter, Ogg, and Sellery, all of which are roughly a ten minute walk away, depending which engineering building you would be going to. Other dorms would be slightly further. Bear in mind that of your waking hours you will be spending most of that time not in classes, so you might want to give some consideration to where else you might spend your time (off campus, libraries, the two unions, rec and dining facilities, etc.), what amenities are might want, and in what sort of a setting would you like to live. The campus map on the university website will give you an idea of relative distances. Also bear in mind that not all of your classes will be in the engineering buildings.</p>

<p>No freshman University Housing offers singles with private baths, though some of the private housing options do.</p>

<p>You were admitted to the university as a whole, your engineering classes will come later- after you have completed the prerequisite courses such as math and sciences. You freshman classes are likely to be in the nonengineering buildings so it doesn’t matter how close to the engineering campus you are next fall. You could end up with a morning start at the far end of campus from your dorm early or late morning, in a breadth requirement elective or one of your math/science classes. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to try to be closest to any particular building next fall. Later you will know the campus and plan your housing for future years.</p>

<p>Do not worry at all about rushing to class in the morning- any dorm will work. The same food service will be available all over campus as well- you can easily eat different meals in different parts of campus based on where you happen to be when you choose a meal or snack. Do not expect to get a single- do expect to have to share the bathroom with individual showers that offer privacy. The nice thing is that those shared down the hall bathrooms will get cleaned by someone else on a regular basis (you will have to clean your own room and do your own laundry). You will be most likely sharing a room and living in a dorm filled with students planning all sorts of majors. This will be a great experience for you- embrace the total US college life, not just the academics.</p>

<p>Biggest decision is whether to choose the high rise/big dorm buildings found in the Southeast area or the more bucolic buildings of the Lakeshore. Look at Google maps in many views to see the different areas. Look at the floor plans to see room factors. Every dorm has pros and cons. Different people like different settings to distress and spend their time outside of class. You can study in any library- it doesn’t need to be the one in your field of interest so being close to the Engineering library is not a factor. Some people want to be able to quickly walk to State St, others to be able to walk along the Lakeshore and Picnic Point.</p>

<p>UW is so much more than the engineering campus. An extra five minutes to get to class is fine to have the evenings/weekends home you feel most comfortable in. There are many different ages and styles of dorms to choose from. All will work.</p>

<p>Barnard, which is part of Chadbourne Residence Hall has single rooms but the bathrooms are shared.</p>