Room Selected--Ridgecrest South, North Tower!

<p>^^^ And, they are most definitely “holding” rooms as well. For example, the suite my daughter chose in Rc-S-N had only 3 beds to choose from A, B and C. We wondered if it was a “triple” and so sent an e-mail to housing. We were told that housing is holding the “D” room in that suite for later assignment. So there you go … what we don’t know is how much of this “holding” is going on. :-)</p>

<p>BAMAMom2Be: I am!!! I don’t know if I will stay though. I’ve wanted to room with my best friend, who’s non-honors, but if we can’t get a super-suite, I’m going to stick with that. My parents wanted me to go ahead and put myself in honors so I have the choice later. That’s awesome though! I’m from Covington County, about 30 minutes from the Florida line. :)</p>

<p>I’m thinking that Ridgecrest South North Tower third floor is going to be a BLAST! Couldn’t be more excited right now! :)</p>

<p>Here’s my opinion on RSN:
A lot of students, myself and my roommates included, prefer RSN because of the other things it has - The parking garage, basketball court, billiards table, it’s location, etc. Of course it has laundry and kitchens on certain floors like most of the “super suite” dorms, but those other things seem really appealing I guess. It’s also the newest dorm on campus, which is very appealing, even though it’s practically the same layout as the other dorms. I also believe that the fact that it is both honors and non-honors, as well as co-ed is appealing because you can make friends from all different majors and interests which is really great, especially freshman year.</p>

<p>RCS also has the advantage of he beds being able to be raised higher. not that that is a big deal, but it is something that differs. also, the closet has swinging doors instead of sliding doors which allows the addition of some over the door storage. it does limit where you can put your furniture a bit, though.</p>

<p>i like the layout of the bathrooms better in RCS. </p>

<p>i like the kitchen area better in RCE&W.</p>

<p>i like the living area furniture better in RCE&W.</p>

<p>like i said, there are pros and cons for each building.</p>

<p>RCE and W uses the same parking as RCS. i have heard that the parking is really bad for some buildings like the lakeside buildings. not an issue if you are not bringing a car, though!</p>

<p>Hi…yes, my son is in 205C…Limestone County senior at Clements High School…they will have to get together before long.</p>

<p>NorthAlabamaMom, looks like your son and D’s BF Paul are already Facebook friends.</p>

<p>Are you going to the May 31/June 1 BAMA Bound by any chance? DD and Paul are already signed up for that one.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info about the RSN and the others also. We’ll keep that in mind for when we go through the process next year.</p>

<p>BAMAMom2Be - We are scheduled for the mid-May session - full weekend for us - celebrating our daughter’s masters completion at UNA that weekend, then my son and I are traveling to T-town on Sunday. My daughter lives in McCalla, so big sis will be able to check up him from time to time. My D and SIL are big Bama fans, and they are at most of the home football games, so I’m going to have look for tickets soon - it will be a good time to visit. We are excited that we have one at Bama…my D wanted to go to there, but the scholarship money just wasn’t there like it is for my son. Thank goodness I don’t have two in college!</p>

<p>Altosaxgeek5: Not to burst your bubble but I don’t think you’ll find a lot of parties in Ridgecrest South North (3rd floor) or any to be honest. The honors kids are a very studious lot and you will find that this tower is very subdued, almost quiet. Lots of studying during the evenings and weekends. If you are looking for a party atmosphere, you will not find it here. And to be honest, from my son’s (and others that I know who reside there) perspective -loud music and partying will be very frowned upon. I know that some freshman like to cut loose but this residence hall is not the place to do that. If that is the atmosphere you are looking for, you won’t find it here. Some other residence halls might have a more social aspect. :)</p>

<p>I fully realize this, robotbldmom. I think you misinterpreted my post; I have no intentions of partying my education away. The “blast” to which I was referring is the fellowship and friendship that I believe will be imminent in the RNS community, stemming from mutual interests and intellect. Trust me, I’ve worked way too hard to get scholarships and hopefully a spot in CBH at Bama to flush it all down the toilet.</p>

<p>Wasn’t judging you, just wanted you to find the social atmosphere that you were looking for.</p>

<p>Kudos to you for your responsible attitude, you should enjoy this dorm then. :)</p>

<p>My boys will be in RS-North Tower as well. Suite 223 to be exact.
At least there will be some upper class men on the floor.</p>

<p>robotbildmom and others – are all the honors dorms this way? I think DS would appreciate that; he wants to study and learn as well as hang out with intellectually oriented kids. (He definitely has a fun side, but so far he hasn’t shown any signs of being a party animal!)</p>

<p>AltoSax,</p>

<p>Are you trying out for the marching band or an ensemble? My son will also be on the third floor of RC -North and he plays mellophone and clarinet. He wants to try out for the marching band and possibly and ensemble. His high school just earned honor band distinction last night after their festival. Pretty Sweet! Oh, he is an engineering major.</p>

<p>I will be auditioning for the Million Dollar Band and likely another ensemble for second semester, possibly jazz. I’ve heard from a few current engineering students that MDB is very time-consuming but that the perks far outweigh any negatives. Send him my congratulations. Which Bama Bound session will he be attending?</p>

<p>I think it’s great there will be so many band and wind ensemble students in RC S-N. My daughter’s goal is to make it into the Alabama Wind Ensemble and the Huxford Symphony Orchestra eventually. The general rule is that only music majors and minors are accepted into those groups. </p>

<p>She has a good friend (piccolo player) who made it into both his freshman year, but that is almost unheard of. And probably harder for a music minor and not a music major. Her friend is double majoring in biology and music (flute/piccolo), and he’s already told her not to do that because it’s so much work. So she plans to major in biology and minor in music. (Plus that way she doesn’t have to take the music theory classes!)</p>

<p>Altosax,</p>

<p>He will be attending the May31/June 1 session. He really wants to be able to play mellophone in the MB but he is much better at clarinet. The band director told him last year when we visited that he could try out with both instruments and see what happens. The whole juggling of engineering/band and first year college is a litle worrysome. But people survive and do enjoy the experience - so I heard. Good luck to you and all the others who will be tryingout. Oh, we are from Virginia, hence the Hokiefan name.</p>