SAT Score high enough for high-level scholarships?

<p>I got a 1460 on the sat; from what I've been reading, a 1550 is about the minimum for the higher level scholarship invites (singer/stamps). Should I retake the sat?</p>

<p>My D got a 1460 on the SAT (2 yrs ago) and was awarded the University Scholarship ($24,000). She also got a 34 on the ACT, and was a Singer finalist. She got an additional scholarship ($4,000) and is a Foote Fellow.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>not to dispute notan4me and with all due respect, this past year was very different for UMiami scholarships; kids with high SAT’s and ACT’s did not even get $$ according to the threads…</p>

<p>to the OP: if you are counting on one of the higher level invites, I personally would retake…but that is not a guarantee of an invite either (obviously)…</p>

<p>Yeah… That’s what I was already thinking. I’m going to take the June SAT, and I’m hoping that I do better on both sections. What’s ironic is that the portion I got a perfect on was writing, which no one cares about :P</p>

<p>Retaking can not hurt. But…</p>

<p>Do not forget that it is not just scores. You also need a very high GPA and a very high rank at your school (I would say top 1-3%). </p>

<p>(Look for a pm I’m going to send you)</p>

<p>Well, I have a 4.0 UW GPA, 5.46 Weighted, and I’m 13/350 in class rank. I think the only thing that would hold me back from the big scholarships is the SAT…</p>

<p>Are you also planning on taking the ACT? I’ve seen lots of posts where students will submit their ACT scores to the college (if they nailed it), but not their SATs - I don’t think you are compelled to submit both - believe you can choose.</p>

<p>I agree with others and your own assessment - take the SAT a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd time. The scores are “super-scored” meaning they take the best score from each of the 2 sections that count to determine your overall total.</p>

<p>My D scored 740-760 on her first try and 760-740 on her second - so her overall super score was 760-760 or 1520 - she got the University and Gables scholarships, Foote Fellowship, honors program and invite to Prism program.</p>

<p>I also think it can’t hurt to take SAT2 tests in the subjects you’re strong with and submitting those too - officially they say they don’t consider them, but if you are on the bubble for say a Singer invite, those scores staring at them from your application may tip the scales.</p>

<p>~Zinc</p>

<p>It depends on what you mean by “high level.” My first SAT (1430/2160) was significantly lower than my second (1520/2280) However, Miami ONLY had the 1430, and still gave me a $20k scholarship. It wasn’t for my grades, given my 3.65 GPA (though it’s 3.95 for 11th/12th).</p>

<p>I mean higher-level like Singer and Stamps</p>

<p>if you have a top 1% class ranking and tons of ECs/community service you should be in good shape for singer.</p>

<p>I got a 31 on my ACT. 3.7 UW GPA, 4.1 W GPA. Two season 4 year athlete. EMT-B. Many EC’s. SAT II Chem 760, AP Chem 3, AP physics 3. NO merit scholarship whatsoever. Very disappointed. meanwhile I got scholarships from northeastern and uvm as well as getting into honors at both. is there any chance I could email them about it?</p>

<p>Wow NYsoccer, way to just steal my thread from me… And Mangofan, I’m around the top 3% class rank, will be eagle scout when I apply, NHS, Model UN (2 years), CTY (Center for Talented Youth through Johns Hopkins, took college-level courses in Crystals and Polymers, Bay Ecology, and Oceanography), volunteering at the aquarium, paid part-time job at the aquarium, paid part-time job at a local coffee shop, paid umpire, participation in a survey of flora and fauna called Bioblitz, member of church youth group. Do you think that’s enough?</p>