Scholarships - Departmental and Others

I have a couple of questions regarding scholarships, but just some background info on my Aggie. He’s a transfer student that started in Fall 2017 majoring in Construction Science. He was very nervous because he’d heard about how TAMU is so much more rigorous than any JuCo or even other colleges, so he studied like crazy and made a 4.0 his first semester as an Aggie! We (parents) were/are so proud!

However, he only joined a couple of organizations, and wasn’t really active at all, so when he went to fill out the scholarship application through TAMU, most of the questions regarding extracurricular activities were lacking to say the least. And as predicted, he wasn’t awarded any scholarships.

My husband thinks it more because we may not fall into the “NEED” category, but I can’t help but wonder if it’s because of his lacking extras? Any insight would be appreciated. (Because I’m not sure his GPA will ever be this great again…lol)

Second question is more Construction Science specific. On the COSC website, it lists the companies and organizations which sponsor scholarships specifically for COSC students, and last year the total amount of scholarship awarded was around $444K!! When he fills out the application online, is it automatically paired with eligibility? And he received an email from the COSC department informing him that he didn’t receive anything, so does that Committee select students for the companies and organizations or do the companies also select their recipients? I’m very confused, and just wondering if he still has hope of receiving anything directly?

Sorry for the length of the post, but thanks in advance for any info you can share…

Scholarships for this Fall semester haven’t all been awarded yet, and departmental scholarships are usually the last bunch awarded! I think your husband is right, because I personally benefit from a lot of need-based aid. I’m currently a sophomore by year, senior by hour. His GPA is stellar and since he filled out the continuing student application, I hope the case is that nothing has been awarded yet.

For perspective, I’ve met the criteria to get all my scholarships renewed, but on Howdy, only 2 are available for the next school year because I know the Foundation of Excellence Awards don’t post until maybe July and departmental scholarships for my college I’ve gotten as far as a month and a half into the semester!