Scholarships, worried!!

Hello!!

I was recently accepted into TCU and I am so excited! :slight_smile: However my mom and I have been stressed out about what scholarships I am going to get…
My SAT score wasn’t that well it was a 1530
My gpa is a 3.97 unweighted and 4.56 weighted
My rank was 11 out of 357 students but just now has been changed to 9 out of 333 students
I have taken ALL pre-ap and AP classes all four years of high school
I am currently in 6 AP and 1 pre-ap class this year out of 8 periods
This is pretty much my academic side, my extra curricular side has A LOT!
I am NHS vice president
Student council member for 3 years
Environmental Club
Active member on my dance team (we practice 3-5pm every day)
I am Social President for my dance team
I am a part of HOSA
I am a part of Project SOAR
I also have been an active youth member at my church for 4 years
Along with all of my academic and extra curricular I have a lot of volunteer hours
I put all of this information on my resume and sent it to them!

So do you think I have a good chance at getting a decent scholarship? If yes, then what? I am extremely worried! I know my SAT score was bad… but anyone could tell you that I am a STRONG work ethic :frowning: please help!!! Thanks!

I’m not sure but I think you need a minimum of 28 ACT or whatever that translates to for SAT, to be considered. Maybe they changed it. But if your score meets that you should get a mid-higher tier one.

@chelsea2015, if your SAT score is your Math + CR score (not including Writing) then absolutely you will be considered for merit scholarships.

If (and I suspect this is the case based on the way you listed it) - your SAT score is a composite of Math+CR+W, then your SAT is a weak point in your application and you will most likely not be in the running for merit scholarships.

Here is a comparison chart for your reference of SAT to ACT scores: http://www.studypoint.com/ed/sat-act-concordance/

This may not help for you this year, but it may help others reading this thread - Did you take the SAT more than once? Did you take the ACT? Did you take any SAT or ACT prep courses? Was your PSAT score consistent with your SAT?

Unfortunately, while I do think TCU holistically reviews applicants for merit scholarships, SAT scores are a huge factor in their decisions. It does say on their website that typically merit scholarships start in the 1800s on the SATs. You could always email an admission counselor and find out if there is any way to appeal for a merit scholarship.

I’m still trying to figure out if the OP has a 1530 out of 1600 or 2400.

Based on the way OP posted, I think the 1530 SAT was out of 2400. @Chelsea2015, do you have a financial safety in case this school doesn’t work out?

@austinmshauri Well I talked to a couple of admissions counselors and they told me I could get a scholarship bldut it wouldn’t be anything fantastic… Honestly all I am hoping for is 10,000 or 15,000. I think I should get some money from FAFSA, we have 5 people living in my house with a middle income… plus I know TCU gives grants for middle class income families. If all else fails I could go to UT Austin because I’ve already been accepted there and it’s way cheaper :\ TCU was just for first choice… =((

@austinmshauri *was just my first choice. oops

It’s great that you have a safety, @chelsea2015. Have you run the Net Price Calculator on the TCU website? Maximum Pell is only about $5000 and federal student loans are $5500/year for a freshman, so it’s good if TCU gives scholarships. The NPC will give you an idea what TCU might ask your family to pay.

Merit was posed this morning for us.