Should I still apply to biology if?

So, I screwed up on the AP Biology test and ended with a 3 last year even though I maintained a solid A in the class for both semesters. I also took the SAT BIO II Molecular test this november and received a 760 which is way better than the 3 I received. I want to apply to biology majors at UCS and, I’m scared that I’ll be rejected because of my 3 that I plan on reporting.
Here are my stats
SAT: 1520
UC GPA WEIGHTED 4.18
Unweighted 3.88
I want to get into at least UCSD and chose marine bilology as my major as it is uncapped but, I’m still worried that I may be rejected due to the 3. Will I be fine? I also wrote an essay on why I want to pursue biology, so I don’t think switching to another major rn will be the best idea but I need more opinions.

you should apply to the major you want to study, period.

UCSD is over-run with qualified applicants and there’s a little luck stirred into the selection process. Even as a well qualified applicant, its a coin toss at best. I’d also apply to several other UCs, UCSC, UCR and UCSB as well as CPSLO and SDSU so you have options come next fall.

good luck

AP scores are self-reported on the UC application and for most UC’s, they are not considered in the application review process. You only need to submit your AP scores to the college you end up enrolling and attending.

I agree with @NCalRent and apply to the major you prefer, have a good balanced list of schools and you will have several options in the end.

Edited: UCSD admits into the University first and then into the major. Selecting a non-capped/non-impacted major will help but you still need to meet the University threshold regardless of major which you easily do based on posted academic stats.

Also UCSD will consider an alternate major if you are applying to a capped major so I would select Biology with Marine Biology as your alternate.

UCSB’s Biology major is in the College of Letters and Sciences which does not admit by Major.

UCD admits directly into the College of Biological Sciences which is impacted but your stats are competitive.

UCB: L&S admits students as undeclared; admission to capped majors (e.g. CS, economics, psychology, ORMS, statistics, art practice, and a few others) is by college GPA in prerequisite courses (and portfolio for art practice) after attending for a few semesters.

UCI admits into the University first and then into the major. In the case that UCI is unable to accommodate all qualified applicants in their first-choice major, those students who indicate a valid alternate major may be offered admission in that major or Undeclared.

For the College of Letters and Science, the applicant’s major is not considered during the review process. Alternate majors are rarely considered.

UCSC admits into the University and major not considered unless you are applying to the College of Engineering.

UCR:
Admission by major but alternate/2nd choice major will be considered if applicant does not need their first choice admission standards.