Singer/Stamps 2013

<p>^ illinoismom93 yes please</p>

<p>I’ll dig out my old post as soon as I get home from work :)</p>

<p>@martinelli95 - can you pls post your stats for the benefit of future applicants? Also I have been informed by another poster here that my template was insufficient and extracurriculars, state of residence , gender, etc are pertinent and should also be included. Thinking back on what I learned about the winners after the competition I do think that may be correct - there may be some gender/geographic balance considerations involved.</p>

<p>I was also admitted with the 23k presidential scholarship, and received my singer invite to the March 22-23 weekend yesterday. </p>

<p>FL resident, 3.8gpa 4.8hpa, 1490 SAT (M + CR), 32 ACT, tons of music related ECs</p>

<p>I have a lot of questions, any help?

1. It is impossible to change weekends? I am very interested in Miami and am more than enthusiastic to attend the Singer weekend, but I absolutely cannot make it March 22-23. Is there another weekend (April 5-6?) for Singer invites and does anyone have any idea if it will be possible for me to change weekends? I live in Florida, so travel plans are not the issues but I have an obligation on March 23 that I just absolutely cannot miss.
  2. Since Singer is full tuition, do they allow you to keep both your Singer scholarship and previously awarded presidential scholarship if you were to win the Singer scholarship? I’m not talking about UMiami paying me 23k, I just mean, hypothetically, if a student with 20k+ in merit scholarships before Singer is awarded the Singer, can they use those original scholarships from UMiami towards room & board, or does the Singer replace the original scholarship?</p>

<p>I believe the Singer will replace your previous scholarship.</p>

<p>^ baylahh: Regarding your conflict on March 23rd, I would call Cristi Busto in Admissions (305) 284-6990. She is very nice and highly responsive. They want you to come to UM there so she might be able to move your invite or have at least the interview on another date.
Good luck!</p>

<p>@baylahh: I know people who have switched weekends in the past due to prior commitments and agree that a call to Cristi will solve your problem. Also, if you are awarded the Singer, your scholarship basically goes from whatever you originally got to the amount of that year’s full tuition. It is a replacement, not an addition. None of these scholarships (except Stamps) can be used for room and board.</p>

<p>removing link for now…</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies! I’ll attempt to call them tomorrow. UMiami is a huge favorite for me and getting the Singer would just be a final selling point. :)</p>

<p>Son got 21k but no invite. ACT 34; UW gpa 3.85. Very competitive private HS; does not rank. Legacy. I’m still happy about the scholarship. I expected an invite but didnt think he would actually get the Singer so not too disappointed. Invites appear to focus on gpa, scores and class rank, maybe URMs get extra consideration. I wonder if high schools that dont rank are a disadvantage. My son’s school has a 20 percent acceptance rate so just about all students would be top of their class at a typical high school.</p>

<p>Just curious, how does Miami determine how much money you will receive for a scholarship? Is there a minimum GPA/SAT score to receive any money at all?</p>

<p>If you search through the “Miami class of 2017” thread from Feb1-today you will see dozens of EA applicants that mention their stats and scholarship levels. You can get a sense from that, although it is not precise. For $20K-25K you needed to have ACT of at least 33-34 and rank in top 5-10% class with UW GPA of 3.8-3.9 + ish… Most of the posts reference all honors courses, 3-6+ APs and SATs of 1900+. Just scan that thread from Feb 1 on and you’ll get an idea.</p>

<p>kind of surprised my D didn’t get the invite. She was awarded $29K President’s scholarship which I haven’t seen anyone else get as much! I think she’s leaning more towards a couple of other schools anyway…</p>

<p>@2asmom: 29k and no invite?!</p>

<p>What were her stats, if you don’t mind me asking? That seems quite unusual.</p>

<p>RoKr93 - Haven’t seen you post much here this school year! How’s your year going - did you end up in Hecht along with just almost every one else who posted last spring on CC? (and apparently everyone posting this spring too). I keep reading they like to “party” hard over there?</p>

<p>Are all Stamps and Singer invitations out for both weekends in March or do think just the Stamps weekend has been completely notified.</p>

<p>Do they send out an additional confirmation email after you register for your weekend?</p>

<p>We should get an email from Cristi Busto. My son registered but has not seen a confirmation yet. Anyone else get a confirmation??</p>

<p>Can we assume since we registered that a confirmation is coming? Just wondering as I would like to get the airline tickets as soon as I can.</p>

<p>D received an automated email message right after registering:
“Thank you for submitting your RSVP for the March 1-2 Stamps Scholarship program. We look forward to having you join us and will contact you in the coming weeks with additional information regarding the program.”</p>

<p>We got that message after registration too! I’m asking if they send another confirmation email or is the automated message the confirmation they mentioned at the top of the registration page. They said not to make travel arrangements until a confirmation is sent.</p>