Singer/Stamps 2013

<p>I’m not sure… but I’m assuming that’s our confirmation. At least I’m hoping so - because we already made our travel plans :)</p>

<p>I’ll contact Ms. Busto and ask. stay tuned
I was looking at flights and was astonished at prices then I remembered its spring break time. $600pp from NJ.!!</p>

<p>That is the same automated confirmation email we received last year and it is your confirmation. Unless you were told that cristi would send out a second email in addition to the automated confirmation this year?</p>

<p>OK thanks illinoismom93</p>

<p>Just heard from Ms. Busto, she will be sending personal email confirmations out in the next few hours.</p>

<p>Thanks Biocellar! D just received email confirmation from Ms. Busto…</p>

<p>

I’m in Stanford, actually. And I’m not sure I believe it…my floor (sans a few people…who have consequently become my group of friends) is pretty wild. It’s pretty terrible, actually. One of the bitter realities of college has been finding puke in the bathroom stalls every weekend, lol. Not to mention the random articles of food strewn about the hallways, no doubt due to late-night drunken escapades. Heh.</p>

<p>But minus the craziness of my floor, everything’s been going just fine. It’s certainly been quite the adjustment socially and academically, but I’ve got my feet under me now. :)</p>

<p>Would anyone know from the Singer/Stamp invited pool, how many in total are invited and how many Singers and Stamps are awarded?</p>

<p>My D has an important tournament on schedule for March 1, and is trying to choose which one to give up, the Singer/Stamp interview or the tournament.</p>

<p>Jule620, You can call Cristi Busto in admissions and ask for a different date, especially if your daughter was invited for a Singer Scholarship.
As for statistics I have heard/read that for Singer there are roughly 350 invites and 60-75 awards. I don’t know for Stamps but it is much tougher…</p>

<p>I heard that they were giving 5 Stamp and 70 Singer scholarships.My daughter was invited to the march 1-2 weekend for Singer/Stamps, but we are not able to attend due to conflict. I feel better knowing there are only 5 Stamp available so we are going to the March 22 weekend instead.I was told there was a 1 in 5 chance for Singer award. If you miss the March 1st weekend you are out of the running for the Stamp</p>

<p>There’s no question that the odds are long to get the Stamps scholarship, but if you (or your child) is interested in Miami, I would think long and hard before changing to another weekend and giving up the chance to get Stamps. My D is a sophomore Stamps Scholar, and I can tell you the scholarship is wonderful. Mr. Stamps is offering this prestigious scholarship at a number of colleges now (google it for list), and it is an incredible program. Aside from the monetary value (which is unbelievably generous), there is more. D has had dinner at Mr. Stamps’ beautiful home, and all of the Stamps scholars from all colleges are meeting at the University of Michigan this spring. There are quite a few benefits that are truly amazing. Just my thoughts on this…take it for what it’s worth Yes, it is a long shot to win. But if you were invited to the weekend, a good interview could make it happen (really, I’m not sure of the criteria on how they pick, but since everyone’s stats were good, I’m guessing the interview had importance). I know back when D got the invite, she had a conflict, as she was in charge of a huge blood drive at school. She decided that the chance to be a Stamps Scholar was more important in the long run. Looking back, great decision on her part. Good luck to all of you.</p>

<p>Dumbo11: I appreciate you sharing your own experience and your advice. D has won a few good scholarships for which we are very grateful. Miami was not high on her list (mainly because we don’t know that much about the school and the area). We will do research and have a more in-depth talk about this opportunity. It is going to be a tough decision but one we have to make carefully. It is extremely helpful to hear from people who have been through the same process.</p>

<p>Hello! have any regular decision applicants gotten an invite yet? I applied RD (huge mistake), but spoke with my admissions counselor who said that it would not disqualify me from any scholarships. My stats seem to be among those who have been offered scholarships (2340 SAT, 4.0 UW, rank 1/400) but I have heard nothing yet. Just wondering if that comes later or if others have been notified!</p>

<p>

Pretty sure that only ED/EA applicants are considered and invited for Singer/Stamps.</p>

<p>So, I’ve read the schedule, and I understand that it says all Singer hopefuls must attend all weekend events to get consideration for the scholarship, but does anyone know if it would be completely impossible to leave early on the second day of the weekend? I can attend all events friday and all events saturday including the interview, but would it be impossible or disqualifying if I left following my interview and wasnt able to stay for the closing remarks on Saturday due to a major competition I have that night that I cannot miss? I plan on calling Cristi Busto tomorrow in the morning and asking but does anyone know what to expect?</p>

<p>Just received notification for Singer/Stamps. It says that I have been “recommended for consideration” and I was invited for an interview on March 1st-2nd. This interview is for Singer and I may be invited for an additional interview for Stamps. Anybody know how many people are asked to interview? And how many people are accepted? I don’t know if I should spend the money for a plane to Miami…</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone who’s been invited! I really wish I’d realized that only EA applicants were eligible; my app was done in time but I applied RD because my parents pressured me to apply SCEA at an Ivy that I don’t even want to go to :frowning: oh well. Good luck at interviews!</p>

<p>

You can most definitely leave on Saturday after the interview. I did because I got sick (migraine from stress as a result of the interview), and Cristi was so helpful and caring about the situation. Everything after the interview is for your own interest, but not necessary at all. If I recall correctly, all that was left was Shalala’s speech. </p>

<p>Cristi was even so great as to ask if I got a migraine before my interview (thus affecting my performance in the interview, meaning she would’ve let me interview again) or after. She really is great at what she does!</p>

<p>@SeekingUni Thank you! That is really great to know. I will be calling tomorrow. I’m a bit nervous seeing as I have to 1) ask for a weekend change and 2) ask about leaving early.</p>