Singer-Stamps 2016

Yes, my daughter attended last year. Three hundred students were invited. Seventy received the Singer and five the Stamps.

@wiscomom1 Hi! what was the weekend like… were there constant interviews/activites? Should I prepare anything?

Has anyone received an invitation for the second or third weekend of Singer interviews? I’ve read the first weekend is the Singer/Stamps interview weekend, and after that, there are 2 more weekends set up for additional invitees to interview for the Singer scholarship.

is anyone going this weekend? and does anyone know when you find out if you received a scholarship from the weekend?

Hey guys! Current UM student and Singer recipient here. We were told that 300 students are being interviewed over two weekends and 75 will receive either Singer or Stamps. You won’t here about the results until after the second weekend on March 18-19.

Hi @windborn17! Thanks a lot for your info, what do you think are the most important aspects that they’re taking into consideration when selecting the recipients?

Does anyone know when the UM Stamps scholarship finalists will be notified? I know one of the speakers at the dinner on Friday said it would be “in the next several weeks,” but I was hoping someone else might have a more specific time frame. Also, how many people that are named finalists for the Stamps scholarship end up receiving it? I know that finalists have to interview with Mr. Roe Stamps, but does that interview serve more to disqualify a portion of the remaining contenders, or is it just to verify that they are the kind of students that ought to be representing the Stamps program?

@jule13 Because everyone that has applied has great grades, gpa, scores etc., they are really looking for someone with personality in their interview and some unique accomplishments. I really think they do already have their top choices for the scholarship picked out before the interview stage and the interviews are just to finalize their decisions.

I just received an email inviting me to the Stamps/Singer scholarship weekend. About a month ago I was also invited to interview for Hammond Scholarship. This is the first I am hearing about the Stamps/Singer through email. I’m glad they are all on the same weekend!

Daughter just received the invite today for March 18 th. The scholarship would make all the difference in her choice but I wonder if her odds are very slim given the late invitation.

It was said at some point over last weekend that at UM the Stamps finalist interview is a final confirmation. Meaning they are nominating only expected winners.

There is a 25% award rate for the nominees. So a one in four chance of actually receiving it.

@ummom2, Would you mind sharing when they heard about the extra scholarship money and did that information come at the same time as they found out they weren’t recipients of Singer/Stamps? Son attended the scholarship weekend recently, loves the school, but finances are large consideration. We have other schools to visit if this doesn’t work out. This whole process is quite stressful!

Does anyone know anything about this “Weeks” Endowed Scholarship? Are the chances the same or is this something different?

just heard i was nominated for the stamps :slight_smile:

@Cricketnepal i believe the stamps weekend has already occurred. Perhaps your invite was for the second singer weekend?

We heard both times about 2 1/2 weeks after the weekend. My DD had the opportunity to interview students last weekend with one of her professors and had a great time. The letter contained the extra scholarship money and the news that he/she didn’t get the Singer. But before we went down for the weekend with my DD she had already gotten her financial aid package (not knowing about singer yet) and we knew that either way, she’d be going. They were overly generous with her and we were extremely excited and grateful.

Thanks @ummom2. We were told that unless they were a Stamps finalist, students should expect to hear news about the Singer after the second weekend which isn’t until March 19. Feels like a long time to wait. :frowning:

No, they nominated me for the stamps scholarship a little after the weekend-Krish

@Cricketnepal
How did they communicate with you after the Stamps/Singer weekend regarding your nomination?
Also, would you mind sharing your major?