Singer/Stamps Qualifications Question

<p>This has been bothering me all week, so I'm just going to throw it out there and hope for feedback. When discussing the Stamps Scholarship in the parent Q/A, I think it was "not Gillis" (sorry can't remember his name at the moment) who said Mr. Stamps likes to be able to make a difference in a student's life. He went on to talk about a previous recipient whose essay was very touching because it talked about the economic challenges his/her family had faced. </p>

<p>I also wondered if my son would be at a disadvantage because he'd already put his deposit down before the weekend started. In other words, we had committed already, so we didn't need the enticement of a full scholarship. Almost seems like he might not even be considered because he'd already made the choice to attend without more $$.</p>

<p>I actually asked my student mentors (one of which was also my interviewer) about that at the weekend, and they said that it’s actually an advantage, not a disadvantage. It shows your passion and interest for the school, which is their primary basis for selecting scholarship recipients.</p>

<p>Good to hear Marinebio444! We deposited on the Thursday before we came down for the weekend!</p>

<p>Did either of you see a change in scholarship $$? My son’s scholarships now show a Miami Grant. Since that appeared after S/S weekend, I’m wondering if it means anything…like thanks for coming, but you’re not a Singer or Stamps.</p>

<p>My financial aid didn’t change, but I already had a miami grant and a coral grant in my aid before the weekend. I doubt it means anything, because they wouldn’t change anything in the financial office if the results haven’t been given yet.</p>

<p>No changes at all.</p>

<p>He had a scholarship listed with admittance…the University. Honestly I don’t know if he looked before we went to S/S, but earlier this week he logged into myUM to check on S/S and there was the Miami Grant. We’d heard from several that you would get additional $$ just for showing up. Apparently they used to pay for hotel for all, and decided this was a better way to handle it. So that’s why I asked. I thought maybe he had been cut in an early round and therefore had the “thankyou” money but would not be in line for either scholarship.</p>

<p>Is the Miami Grant used toward tuition or research? I got it as well and am not sure if I factor it into my merit scholarship money or not? Also Marinebio444 had you accepted admittance when you asked the mentors that?</p>

<p>The miami grant is tuition restricted. I believe there was a link in one of the other threads to the grants page that talked about it. And yes, I had committed almost as soon as I found out I was admitted.</p>

<p>Wait haha does tuition restricted mean it’s used for tuition?</p>

<p>Yes, haha, you can only use it for tuition.</p>

<p>And mithwhizmia, the extra money from the weekend will be awarded as a separate scholarship, not as a grant, so the extra grant money is not a result of the s/s weekend.</p>

<p>In the past, I have read that the Gables Scholarship in the amount of $4000 per year has been awarded to students who attend a scholarship weekend but are not awarded the Singer or Stamps. Has anyone seen this scholarship listed anywhere on the U’s website though?</p>

<p>I haven’t seen the Gables listed, but had a hard time finding the Grants page, so if anyone else has had problems here it is. [Grants</a> | Enrollment Management | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/index.php/office_of_financial_assistance/ug/ug_aid/ug_grants/]Grants”>http://www.miami.edu/index.php/office_of_financial_assistance/ug/ug_aid/ug_grants/)</p>

<p>We sat with another family who’s son was told by his mentor that traditionally families get an additional grant to cover their travel costs. This kid used the word “grant”, but I don’t know if it’s reliable info. I assumed it was a one time “gift”, not recurring like the Miami Grant, which cover much more than travel expenses to the S/S, even though it was very expensive.</p>

<p>My son received Miami Grant. The Miami Grant is NOT need based, but all the others on the list are. So Marine Bio if you are right, Monday, if he isn’t a scholarship recipient, he will receive an additional sum for attending the weekend?</p>

<p>And IllinoisMom, because I haven’t seen it, I assumed that it was now the Miami Grant. The kid at our table said his guide told him between 2-4K then someone else said 8K. It was all kind of confusing, so that’s how I come up with the idea that S’s MIAMI Grant was his payback for coming and he had gotten cut from S/S in an early round. I guess we’ll all know soon enough. At least having the Foote Fellowship will be a positive for all the kids who don’t make it, it will certainly make it worth the trip. I mean, when you get a NO for S/S, the YES for FF will be a victory.</p>

<p>Mithwhizmia, I’ve had the miami grant on my financial aid since I got my aid report. It is not the replacement for the gables, I can almost guarantee that. The miami grant is just another bit of merit aid that is in the grant category instead of the scholarship category. Also, out is renewable for aol 4 years. The gables scholarship isn’t a one-tone thing, but is good for all 4 years.</p>

<p>Thanks MB. When did you get your aid report?</p>

<p>It was about 2 or three weeks before the s/s weekend.</p>

<p>Scratch that, it was only 5 days before.</p>

<p>Thanks again. Like I said, he got his after S/S. The suspense is crazy.</p>