~Singer/Stamps Scholarship Weekend Trip Report~

<p>**<a href="Part%201">color=orange</a></p>

<p>These are my impressions – please feel free to make additions, and/or correct me if I misremembered or omitted something![/color]</p>

<p>We got back late last night from Miami and here are my impressions of the weekend! I honestly wasn’t expecting to love the U as much as everyone else who has visited has; I figured there had to be something wrong with this place that would reveal itself when we visited and realized, oh yeah, this place is great, if it wasn’t for ……………………

But we never did run into a deal killer or even a negative. D’s other choice, Minnesota, has some drawbacks – the weather being a big one, of course, the gen ed requirements are more stringent, it’s a huge public, and there’s no priority registration for Honors students (our flagship even offers that perk but Minnesota only gives it to athletes).
</p>

<p>We flew in on Thursday evening and checked into at the Courtyard Dadeland, one of the hotels served by the scholarship weekend shuttle providing transportation to and from the U. The next morning we headed off to Coral Gables’ Miracle Mile shopping/dining district and had lunch there. There were four bridal salons within two blocks so D had fun gazing at the gorgeous Vera Wang wedding dresses in the windows! Back to the hotel - initially we had planned to drive to the U for the campus tour and dinner, since D wasn’t sure how long registration would take and didn’t want to take a chance on being late for the tour – late in her book meaning not half an hour early because she likes to be early everywhere she goes. </p>

<p>
Then she decided that she didn’t want to miss any socializing on the "party bus" I referred to in a previous post a while back and opted for that. We went down to the lobby at 345 for the 4 pm bus (since D said she had read somewhere that we were supposed to be down there 15 minutes early but again, that’s just how she operates and she probably imagined it) and only saw two people sitting at a little table with an admissions rep. The ad rep greeted us and told us to have a seat in the lobby (lots of small tables were available) and we would board the buses shortly. Yes, buses, there were two huge charter buses which seemed like overkill for the six of us. We sat there quietly, hoping for a bigger turnout. After ten more minutes, more students arrived in the lobby with parents in tow. That was the only part of the weekend I didn’t enjoy. Everyone sat quietly at their own little tables, with no interaction going on. Then we boarded the first bus and D and I immediately introduced ourselves to a nice mom and son from Ohio sitting nearby and chatted with them the rest of the trip. H was in the front row, ahead of us, sitting across from ad rep. We headed over to the Holiday Inn and picked up more people there, and then entered the U across the street. </p>

<p>
At that point, I realized when Zinc had been talking about when he said he couldn’t wait to see our faces when we drove through those rows of majestic palm trees the first time. I thought he meant in the city of Miami, where palm trees are everywhere – we had taken a picture of D under one wearing blingy sunglasses that morning so she could immediately post it on her facebook wall (generating many jealous comments from her freezing friends up north along with demands for souvenirs:)<br>
</p>

<p>Well the entrance was just gorgeous. Under the palms, there is a gatehouse at the entrance with its roof covered with some sort of lush vegetation that would never grow in Illinois, I am sure, especially on top of a roof, with big flowers accenting it. Then we walked through the campus to a building where we picked up our packets of nametags (not the kind you fill out with a marker - these people are ORGANIZED and had pre-printed nametags suspended on double cords to wear around your neck with your name and home town and they had them for both students and parents), a baseball tee shirt(D said, WOW THESE SHIRTS ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE- WE CAN’T GET THESE BASEBALL SHIRTS FOR CLUBS AT OUR SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY COST TOO MUCH!), a list of attendees broken into groups with an assigned mentor, etc. Then we were sent off in groups of 10 or 15 each on a 45 minute tour.
</p>

<p>Our tour guide (dumbo11’s D) was just superb; sweet and personable and knew her stuff cold. She led us all over the most beautiful campus I’ve ever seen. This is some of what I remember: There are these unbelievably huge banyan trees that look like the big tree at Animal Kingdom (sans the animal carvings). I’ve never seen these trees before so I had to google them to find out what they were. There are lots of them on campus providing huge amounts of shade under their enormous canopies of leaves. There are other huge trees that look as if they are made of tons of giant fans. The landscaping at the U is just breathtaking with lots of colorful bougainvillea flowers in planters. In describing the campus to another CCer, I said the place it reminded me of most is Club Med, not sure if they still have those!
</p>

<p>There are canals running through the campus, a lake with a fountain in the middle, several other fountains and a big swimming pool too. There are these big wooden gliders that have two seating areas facing each other, covered with an awning, and mounted so that they glide gently back and forth as you sit. These are in different areas of the campus, with the largest concentration that I saw at the Rat(bar/restaurant). There are lots of round picnic tables with umbrellas shading them all over campus. There is wifi all over campus, so students were sitting outside at the tables and gliders with their laptops open, working away in this tropical paradise!
</p>

<p>So that’s the outside and that’s what I remember best because it was so strikingly different from any college I have seen before. Of course there were buildings and classrooms and dorms and I vaguely remember going inside them, since I recall D saying the dorm room they showed us was much bigger than the rooms at U of I she had stayed in the two summers she went to Engineering camp there. I remember something about a building’s staircase being designed to resemble the DNA helix and D thought that was interesting. Everything we saw on campus was clean and in excellent condition. We ended our tour at the Fieldhouse where we then had a wonderful buffet dinner with tons of salads, entrees and a dessert tray on each table. The U orchestrated each buffet line we encountered with an organized precision – dividing each line into two, and then two again by using two identical tables with access on both sides. </p>

<p>
Everything seemed to follow this highly organized pattern; there were no glitches, no confusion about where to go or what to do, everything ran (as Princeton Review says) like butter. I forgot to say earlier that the U (I think maybe Cristi Busto?) had set up a Facebook group for the weekend a week or so in advance so that kids could ask questions and meet each other in advance, just another example of how organized the whole weekend was. The attention to detail was remarkable. The U went to great lengths to even include a variety of orange and green table decorations at all the meals we were served over the two days of events. The seating was open so you could choose wherever you liked to sit; the tables were big round ones for um.. I think ten people each. The evening’s speakers were Dr. Green, Dr. Whitely and Cristi Busto (I think I’m forgetting someone here) and a panel of four students who each talked a bit about themselves and then answered questions. Ok, I’m falling asleep now since we flew home from Miami in the wee hours of this morning and I’ll continue tomorrow with part 2. I wish I could put pictures in here-I have lots of pictures!</p>

<p> **</p>

<p>Glad to hear you had a great experience! :slight_smile: (And don’t forget to post it at [University</a> of Miami - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/university-of-miami/#visitreports]University”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/university-of-miami/#visitreports) if you get the chance!)</p>

<p>Very very nice report IM93. Really well written with lots of details - took me back to last year when we made the trip. Nice touch with the green and orange text font! Can’t wait to read Part 2…
This report will help others in the future, so for them, I’d say thank you for taking the [considerable] time to write this.</p>

<p>I was there too and can attest that every single detail illinoismom mentioned is 100% accurate. It was truly amazing to be there and get a real glimpse into the university. My dad, who’s been a fan of the U – both sports and otherwise, for over two decades was even surprised to learn some of the things we did. </p>

<p>I think UM is a hidden gem amongst some of the best universities in the nation, it’s a shame only 2000 new students get to experience it each year. There is no doubt we are blessed to have such an opportunity.</p>

<p>IllinoisMom, you are doing a great service to future applicants by writing such a detailed thread. There is nothing like this at all, so thank you! I am so glad that your D loved the U, and I truly hope the scholarship works out so she can attend. Also, thank you for the kind words on my D. She absolutely loves being a P100 and showing off Miami to future applicants. She just found out today that she gets to be an Orientation Fellow in August. She is so excited. The U has so many wonderful leadership opportunties for its students. Just a few more days…</p>

<p>I agree, Illinois Mom, you’ve written a great response. There should be a parents thread! This was our third visit to campus. A weekend event like this is hard to plan and have go off without a hitch, and that’s exactly what happened. Every question was answered in the Q & A’s, there was no confusion, and everything worked like clockwork. I don’t think I left wanting for any morsel of information. The level of organization alone, speaks volumes about how the University as a whole probably operates. </p>

<p>I can tell you from going to many college tours, that the P100 students who lead tours are the best representatives of any campus we visited. We visited Duke, Vanderbilt, etc., none could match the UM tour. I took our first tour last fall, and repeated it this weekend. It’s clear that these students love the university and are appreciative of it’s uniqueness.</p>

<p>Having stayed in Coral Gables on our last visit, We opted to stay in Coconut Grove to get a feeling for what the “college town” experience is like there. It’s got a lot of dining choices and trendy little shops, as well as basics like The Gap, and Chili’s. It’s like a little village where everything is accessible on foot.</p>

<p>Coral Gables is also very nice and has excellent shopping/dining at Miracle Mile and Shops of Merrick Park. And lastly South Beach. We stayed in Miami our first visit and enjoyed the beach. </p>

<p>Having had a few visits to familiarize myself with how UM stacks up, I was curious as to how my husband, who hadn’t been to any of the other tours would react. He thought it was fabulous. That’s coming from someone who had a strong preference for another choice where we have a strong family history. </p>

<p>More than the facts of the presentation, we both left with the feeling that whether a student, or an administrator, everyone passionately loves the U. It’s contagious…and we definitely caught it!</p>

<p>IllinoisMom, great review so far…waiting patiently for Part 2! We agree with all of the other posters. You are taking such care and time in writing such a beautiful review which will serve future students and parents well. Thankyou! We are waiting patiently for the news next week and hope that your D will be joining our D on her adventure at the U!</p>

<p>** Thanks everyone; I am glad no one minds my play by play recap of the events! Again -these are my impressions – please feel free to make additions, and/or correct me if I misremembered or omitted something! I am sure others have lots of info to add to my experience so feel free to chime in with your take on the weekend!

Rankin- Thanks for that link! I uploaded a bunch of photos here:</p>

<p>[University</a> of Miami - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/university-of-miami/#visitreports]University”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/university-of-miami/#visitreports)</p>

<p>and will paste the visit report in after it’s done.

Here’s what I remembered today (so far, I am sure more will pop into my aging brain at some point in the future) that should have been in part 1 :

Dorms – The sample room we saw (in Hecht or Stanford, not sure – can you tell I wasn’t paying much attention whenever we went inside? I was just so wowed by the idea of D potentially going to college in what looked like Maui that my eyes glazed over until they let us back out again :slight_smile: had some sort of leatherette built in bolster attached to the wall so that a bed pushed against the wall would automatically become a couch with a backrest. These bolsters were on both sides of the room but only one was in use since the other bed was …hmm……I think lofted maybe? That was a thoughtful addition that I haven’t seen elsewhere.

When we were planning the trip and trying to decide whether or not to stay in the hotels served by the shuttle the thing pushing us in that direction was the prospect of meeting other families waiting for the bus and riding along with them. When the bus did leave the Courtyard on Friday afternoon it was at least half full and was almost or completely full by the time we left the Holiday Inn, where it stopped to pick up attendees staying at that hotel, so there were lots of people to talk to, and a real sense of we’re all in this together. So we were glad we made the decision to stay there since we met more people that way!

During the student panel presentation at dinner the night before, we had been provided (in our folder at check-in) with the biographies of all four students so there was no need to ask each other “What did she say her name was? What state is he from? Did anyone hear what she said her major was?” It was all provided in writing in advance so you could focus on the content.

About that dinner, I NEVER got the impression that one CCer posted last year, where he referenced the dinner as a time where people glared silently at their competition. We couldn’t locate the family from Ohio we had met on the bus earlier that day so we sat at a table that had three open seats left, and everyone introduced themselves and talked about where they were from,etc. We found the people we met throughout the entire weekend on the bus rides, at meals, and when the mentor group was together to be warm and friendly and everyone seemed willing to share any info they had about the process with others :slight_smile:

Also, at the end of the dinner we went up to greet Cristi Busto who leaned over to hug D and us too! We are all big huggers here(dindune can certainly attest to this since we hugged her and her D several times when we said goodbye in the parking garage at the end) and this immediately put D at ease. She had been pretty nervous about approaching Cristi to introduce ourselves and that extra friendliness really helped. We started rushing back to the “party bus” hoping it hadn’t left since we had been in a line behind two other families waiting to introduce ourselves to Cristi. Scott Woodcock, the ad rep who had met our group in the lobby at the Courtyard and then rode the bus with us until we got to the Holiday Inn on the way to the campus earlier, saw us running in the direction of the bus, remembered us, and told us not to worry about missing it, it wouldn’t leave for a few more minutes. We met another family on the trip back, this time from the town/school just north of ours!

Now on to Part 2:

At 830 Saturday morning we head back down to the lobby and run into our new friends from the bus ride the night before and sit with them on the ride back to campus. Sitting in Storer auditorium, I noticed a striking girl with long strawberry blond hair sitting with her parents directly across the aisle from us. Hmm…is this dindune’s D, dindune and dindune’s H by chance? I ask D what she thinks. She says the hair fits the description we had but what are the odds of them sitting across from us with 120 students in attendance? The presentation hasn’t started yet, I waver back and forth…should I go over and ask or will they think I’m a complete lunatic when I ask complete strangers if they are dindune and family? Ahh what the heck, I go for it and THEY ARE INDEED! So now we have made another in person CC connection :), the first having been Dumbo11’s D who was our tour guide the previous day.

Now the student mentors entered the auditorium and we were directed to follow our mentor out to the lobby before we had a chance to go introduce ourselves to Zinc’s D (who we knew was a mentor) since we were in group 3 and she had group 26. There were 29 groups – each mentor was assigned to lead 3, 4 or 5 students. All the groups with mentor and student names were provided in the packet we had received the day before at check-in. That reminds me that the schedule provided at check-in had detailed info about interview times. There were four groups of interview slots – Group A at 130 pm, B at 2, C at 230 and D at 3. Your interview group was listed on your name tag so no one was madly rifling through their folders looking for their group assignments, it was right there, hanging around your neck, just another sign of the careful coordination we encountered over the course of both days. We followed our mentor out to the lobby, but one member of our assigned group of four students did not appear. Our mentor called his name several times and then excused herself to confer with a supervisor before getting the go-ahead to proceed to our model class without him. All three students in the mentor group were bio majors and D later heard that the other groups were similarly arranged so that you were with students with the same major.

945 am: We walked together to our classes, and our mentor told us exactly where we would meet afterward to reunite the group pointing to a group of vending machines nearby. Again, everything planned to perfection so as to avoid any confusion about where we would rendezvous. Interestingly, we were told that we did not have to attend the same class our students did, we were free to choose another if we preferred to do so. The classes were : God, Science, and Politics by Dr. Frohock; Science as Storytelling by Dr. Myers; The Biology of Cancer by Dr. Gaines; and last but certainly not least, since we chose this one; Why and How We Age by Dr. Wilson. D was torn between Cancer and Aging but finally decided on aging. In D’s mentor group of three, since all were potential bio majors, one of the other students attended the aging lecture too.
</p>

<p>It was fascinating and D liked the lecture so much that she said it solidified her decision to take Dr. Wilson’s class, Bio 150, even though during the question and answer period after his lecture (during which he told us to ask him anything we liked about the U, not necessarily just bio questions!) he had said that regarding AP credit and course placement, he recommended starting at the 200 level if you scored a 5 in AP Bio, as D did, but taking the 150 level class if you scored a 4. He also mentioned dual enrollment. We don’t have that in our area, but I know some schools in other areas do offer it. He wasn’t a big fan of dual enrollment, saying the level it is taught at can be inconsistent, depending on the school, whereas AP is AP from coast to coast. And more fun – we met another mom and daughter from yet another neighboring school district sitting behind us in the model class - not CCers though. Then we headed out to meet up again with our mentor and the third student who had taken the cancer class. My D heard from her and several others that that class was excellent too. </p>

<p>Part 3 coming next…</p>

<p> **</p>

<p>Your recollection of us meeting had me and D in stitches! You are a very clever writer!
We are loving the review! By the way, the model room was in Hecht. Our experience at dinner was also a fun, friendly one, however when my S was there a few years ago, it was also that competitive feeling where no one talked. At the tables around us, no one spoke a word and I was determined to make this fun for D, no matter what! Yes, it is a competition, but really if you don’t meet kids, you won’t know how you bond with kids that could be your dorm mates and class mates.</p>

<p>

Just for the record: They don’t come like this… I believe they said that during move-in, there’s a company on campus that you can pay to have the beds lofted if it is so desired by the students in the room.</p>

<p>Re: Lofting - you’ll hear more about this as the time gets closer to making housing decisions and actually moving in. There have been numerous threads about it and many have posted photos online showing rooms with neither, one and both beds lofted. My D decided to loft her bed and roommate didn’t - they use the space under the loft for a chair, a storage unit and the fridge - seems to work well for them. I think it was like around $350 to “rent” the loft apparatus for the year. Note: UM does not allow budding engineers to loft their own beds, altho there is an option to set up the approved lofting pipes/tubes/supports yourself. I remember feeling sorry for those students dragging 50+ pounds of tubular steel thru the lobby of Hecht last year - waiting in long lines to ride the elevators.</p>

<p>Here’s a link to the company we used last year: <a href=“https://www.bedloft.com/products/index.php?schoolID=75[/url]”>https://www.bedloft.com/products/index.php?schoolID=75&lt;/a&gt;
~Zinc</p>

<p>Definitely take Dr. Wilson if you can. He’s a wonderful person and professor.</p>

<p>Zinc: So the companies are on campus during move in? Is there anything we have to do prior if we want our beds lofted?</p>

<p>You’ll get emails that include links for services like this. We signed up online over the summer for the lofting. The bedloft folks will be set up in the parking lots, and you’ll also find a bunch of other companies on campus during move in week that are selling carpets, refrigerators, microwaves, artwork(?), etc. D brought her own fridge, roomie brought micro and they shopped together for a carpet and window treatment.</p>

<p>The whole move in process is very well coordinated - spread out over a week depending on whether you are coming in as a new freshman, transfer, international, etc. Lots of upperclassmen around to help out. The only bottleneck was the elevators in Hecht and Stanford - altho those are “manned” by student volunteers as well - who encouraged us to “act like sardines”! It was kinda fun, but probably not if you are claustrophobic… :)</p>

<p>If you decide to loft over the summer, and signup and pay then, the loft will be in place when you move in. If you decide to do it once you’re on campus, then you’ll wait in line to purchase the loft, then wait for them to install it. It was great to walk into my son’s room and have the loft and bad all setup and ready to go.</p>

<p>^ Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll look forward to the info Zinc referred to so that we can get it all taken care of before I move onto campus. I’m assuming these emails about lofting options will be coming from UM directly? VHFather, which company did you use?</p>

<p>Maybe we should start another “lofting” thread…I didn’t really mean to hijack your thread illionoismom!</p>

<p>**<a href=“Part%203”>color=green</a><br>
[/color]
These are my impressions and recollections – please feel free to make additions, and/or correct me if I misremembered or omitted something!

Sidenote - Dumbo11- What is an Orientation Fellow? It sounds exciting - more details please!

After our model classes ended we went back to Storer for a panel discussion with htree faculty members-Dean Anderson from the business school (D called him the funny one, he is new, having just joined the U in the fall from UMichigan), Dean Avissar from Rosenstiel and Dean Bachas from Arts and Sciences, with Dr. Green moderating the discussion. Another thing in that folder we had been provided was a 25 page listing of all the faculty participants for Stamps weekend. Each person listed, from Donna Shalala to all the professors associated with the weekend (except for Dean Anderson, who was apparently too new to make the printing deadline) has a photo and biography listed so you can keep track of all the players. It was a very lively presentation and all three Deans were very engaging. Dean Avissar is kind of a meteorologist on steroids who pilots his own helicopter! He presented a really exciting video shot inside underwater caves (wow - there were some narrow openings in the rocks down there and D and I both got a bit claustrophobic just watching the divers struggling to squeeze their way through) and it also included some footage of him flying his ‘copter at what looked like warp speed 10 while just barely staying above the water line :open_mouth: which apparently is the ideal altitude for oceanographic data collection but which looked harrowing to me, and made me grateful that D is a stay on the solid ground bio major who wants a career researching teensy things on slides in a nice safe lab.

After this session, we all headed over for lunch at the Food Court in University Center. It was a great buffet with lots of salads, veggies and cold cut platters so that you could make your own sandwich. At this point, they separated the students from the parents and sent the kids off to eat with their mentors at separate tables. Hubbie and I found dindune, her H and their son, a junior at UM (since dindune’s D had accepted admission shortly before the scholarship weekend she will have both kids in the same place in the fall!). We had a great lunch with them and when their son headed back to his college life, we all headed back to Storer - now sort of a home base for us which with my sense of direction was a good thing – and we attended a very enlightening Parent info session scheduled for 1:30 pm, exactly the same time the students were heading off to the first set of interviews with a faculty member and student interviewer. This concurrent session helped keep parents’ minds off how the interviews were going - ingenious scheduling - keep those parents from biting their nails to the quick and texting last minute instructions or queries about how it went by keeping them on the edge of their seats with info about Singer/Stamps numbers, big news re Foote Fellows, etc!

The parent presentation “Going to College at Miami: an Overview for Parents and Families” was hosted by Dr. Green and Dr. Gillis and we heard lots of interesting info here, much of it in response to questions from parents (anything in quotes I wrote down verbatim):

• About 25% of attendees this weekend will be offered the Singer

• But “we don’t know exactly how many will be offered because the interviews haven’t happened yet”

• “50% of the kids who attend this weekend will enroll in the fall”- they know this from past experience

• We would hear about Singer awards/moving on to Stamps interviews within a week (so I immediately started mentally counting down each hour that elapsed before the following Saturday at 2 pm, but then a day or so later I heard that Cristi had posted on the Stamps weekend Facebook group it would be early next week, so maybe Monday or Tuesday? better than last year when it was two weeks later!) and notifications will be made by email and snail mail, not by phone, and all attendees will receive an email - good news or bad…

• There will be 5 Stamps winners, although I thought I heard 7 mentioned at another point?

• All students who attended the Stamps weekend are Foote Fellows! (dindune and I looked at each other at this point with excitement and wrote down that we both heard Dr. Gillis say it)

• Foote Fellows has dedicated classes – one they mentioned a few times was “Books that Matter” which is very popular and sounded like a small discussion based class

• In response to a question about the honors program we were told that Foote Fellows is better, it’s “an honors program on steroids” so if you do Foote Fellows you don’t need to do the honors program, and the honors program is changing anyway.

• The current honors program requires students to take one honors designated class per semester, or take a regular class and make it into an honors level

• The U belongs to a consortium of 30 private universities and a few publics that offer access to research opportunities

• There are summer research programs - I think most might be science oriented?

• The U offers freshman seminar classes

• There is a study abroad program called “semester on location” with U professors offered in Praque, Israel (UGalilee Program), Galapagos and Rome - this sounded awesome!

• There are currently 12 substance free floors in the dorms but they have been adding more of them as demand rises

• DILS – Directed Independent Language Study allows students to pursue the study of languages that are not part of the modern language program.

to be continued…
**</p>

<p>Illinoismom, the part about Foote Fellows was supposed to be a surprise… They haven’t told us yet (my dad told me but I’ve kept it to myself) so it kinda ruins it for the attendees here on the forum.</p>

<p>More great insights Illinois Mom. Regarding Foote Fellows, that must be new. I know last year everyone at the weekend did not get Foote Fellows, or at least that is what I remember (I could be wrong on this…my memory is fading, lol). My D is a Foote Fellow and also enrolled in the Honors program…easy to do both. I can’t say enough about FF…it really allows the kids to take classes they are interested in. D did take Books that Matter this past fall, and she would highly recommend it. You even get a global themed dinner each week. She loved the class. In answer to your question, I don’t know much about Orientation Fellows. Basically, they lead a group of freshman to all activities during orientation. I know she goes back a week earlier than the freshman for training. She really wanted to be an OF…loves sharing her love for the U with others. Can’t wait for Part 4!</p>