So how is move in day?

<p>We are trying to plan the trek to Madison from Jersey, and our little badger moves in on the 27th to Sellery. Will we be there long? Is there a specific time frame you have to arrive and leave? When will we be leaving her (since we assume we should let her go mingle and meet her roommate other than their Facebook chats to date)? Should we plan to stay that night nearby? Where should we stay the night before so our younger one can see his sister's new home city? I know we will get info, they have been GREAT so far, but we are big time planners.</p>

<p>Sellery is a very big dorm, so I think people will be moving in throughout the day. Feel free to go when you want, although some dorms have activities (hall dinners) in the evening so try to make it before then.</p>

<p>When I moved into the dorms they had those laundry carts to help wheel in your belongings, so the move-in process was quick. The whole thing should take less than an hour–and then you can get lunch together if you arrived early. </p>

<p>There’s a Doubletree hotel on campus–and it’s very close to Sellery. [Google</a> Maps](<a href=“Google Maps”>Google Maps)</p>

<p>The wisc site has more info, too. They typically send detailed info in the mail so I think you’ll be getting that soon. But the site is here: [University</a> Housing - Moving in and Out](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/moving/fall.php]University”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/moving/fall.php)</p>

<p>If you have a phone with internet, use the online campus map when you arrive: [University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison: Campus Map](<a href=“http://map.wisc.edu/]University”>http://map.wisc.edu/) You should probably print an extra copy anyways! Good luck =)</p>

<p>Move in in the day as late as possible. I was due to move into Witte on the 28 last year, but got into town on the 27 around 6 or 7 PM. We figured what the h#!! and moved in that night. Best move ever. NO body else was around. Free use of the elevators.</p>

<p>Otherwise if you move in during the day, it will take FOREVER. Elevators are just ridiculous. Lines everywhere. Chaos.</p>

<p>I found this link today - your daughter can get a sneak preview of her Housefellow and learn a little about him/her:</p>

<p>[Sneak</a> Preview: University Residence Halls](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/sneakpreview/staff.php?hall=sellery]Sneak”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/sneakpreview/staff.php?hall=sellery)</p>

<p>then, if you click on the ‘Arrival’ tab, there are links to additional information for students and for parents.</p>

<p>We had a similar situation last year. We arrived in Madison the night before, arrived first thing in the morning and helped our daughter move in. It took most of the day. I agree with countrygentleman…arriving late in the day might help. The lines for carts and the elevators are long. We thought we would beat the crowds by getting there early, but we were actually in the thick of things. We played it by ear making surenwe didn’t stay too long. Got everything moved in until she was as comfortable as she was going to be. We left her to do her thing that night with the dorm, my husband and I went out to dinner. We found the last few things she wanted. We called her in the morning and she met us outside in front of Sellery the next morning, we handed her the rest of the things we picked up and left Madison. I think she appreciated having what she needed and we didn’t get involved in her social stuff. She absolutely loved Sellery, met great friends, and loves being there…she also did very well school/grade wise.</p>

<p>They allow one hour parking for move in and there are “Badger Buddies” to help with the laundry carts. Usually a house meeting is scheduled just after supper so don’t plan on being with your D for dinner after you move her stuff to her room. I suggest letting her do the unpacking without your help- come back for boxes and stuff you are taking home while letting her decide what goes where without you (she needs to know where things end up and not discover them next spring). She’ll have plenty to do and people to meet. We ended up arriving late afternoons since son slept in and we never left early from instate- most people were already there and it was less hectic. The thought of getting a hotel room that night so you can take her (and others) to any stores the next day sounds good. Don’t worry about needing to help her with lofting her bed if that’s what is chosen- there will be plenty of people around to help. The 2 move in days are a zoo- they work it out so half of each dorm moves in each day. The campus has good, large street-side signs directing people to the proper parking lot for each dorm plus the info (including the required parking permit slip) she receives in the mail. Only she can get her key from her front desk.</p>

<p>Do print out a copy of directions from an online source for getting from the freeway to campus. There is no easy way to get there- you need city streets and they can be confusing (there are 2 main lakes for streets to parallel, no good grid system, plus the capitol square is in the middle of the isthmus, requiring going around…). If you have AAA get a city of Madison map ahead of time in case you take a wrong turn. E Washington Ave does have small red UW signs directing you to campus shortly before the Square. Sellery will be easy to get to compare to some dorms.</p>

<p>You may want to plan to be near Wisconsin/Madison so you can arrive after lunch time on move in day. Going around Chicago is a pain/necessary evil- PM me for any tips on that (timing rush hour). There were info sheets available at the hall desks with directions to stores such as Target, Woodmans (good for stocking up on groceries) and others in the past. Also pick up a copy of the Isthmus Annual Manual to keep- at dorms and many other places around the campus area.</p>

<p>It will be hard to leave her, but plan on less rather than more time with her when you help her move in. You campus time was during SOAR.</p>

<p>PS- at least Sellery has elevators to all floors. Liz Waters meant going downhill outside and up a few steps for a first floor room the first year- it is a series of interconnected buildings built into a hill; the central elevator couldn’t get to his floor (move out was uphill).</p>