Son attending SITE Session 2 -- any suggestions for parent?

Last year I learned about the SITE (Student Introduction to Engineering) Summer Program on CC. My son applied and was accepted for the program. I will be flying to Tuscaloosa with him and staying in a nearby hotel the week of his program (July 19-24).

Any suggestions for places I could visit during my time in Tuscaloosa? It will be our first visit to the campus, so we’ll definitely do a campus tour. I love museums, running, and all sports. My son will be busy in the camp throughout the week, so it will just be me. I’ll have a rental car, so I may drive up to Birmingham for the day to check out their art museum.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

You’ll have to visit the Paul Bear Bryant Museum, even if you’re not into sports…it’s just interesting…and the video is a must!

If you like running, then jogging along RiverWalk on Jack Warner Pkway is a pretty route.

Mercedes Benz tour at the nearby production plant

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30889-Activities-Tuscaloosa_Alabama.html

Are you the dad or mom?

M2CK, I am the mom. I just want to thank you for all the incredible information you provide. My son is really looking forward to the SITE camp and checking out UA.

I love all sports and will definitely go to the Paul Bear Bryant Museum. I’ll check into the RiverWalk route and Mercedes Benz tour, as well. I’m hopeful the SITE camp will be able to tour MB.

Again, thanks!

For others reading this thread…along with the Things to Do list, here’s the list of places to stay

The VRBO Tuscaloosa listings found on the link towards the bottom are short-term rentals for visits for 2+ night stays. They’re great for multi-night stays and families who want kitchens and more space!

Country Inn & Suites 4801 McFarland Blvd. East Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (205) 345-9999

Courtyard by Marriott 4115 Courtney Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 (205) 750-8384

Fairfield Inn 4101 Courtney Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 (205) 366-0900

Hampton Inn 600 Harper Lee Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 553-9800

Hampton Inn 6400 Interstate Dr. Tuscaloosa, AL 35453 (205) 562-9000 *

Holiday Inn Express 1120 Veterans Memorial Parkway Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 464-4000 *

Home-Towne Suites 1650 15th Street East Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 553-3828 *

Hotel Capstone 320 Paul W. Bryant Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (205) 752-3200

Microtel Inn 6331 Interstate Drive Tuscaloosa, AL 35453 (205) 556-1555

Microtel Inn & Suites 1417 Veterans Memorial Parkway Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 (205) 553-4095 *

Wingate by Wyndham 4918 Skyland Blvd. East Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 (205) 553-5400 *

Yellowhammer Inn & Conference Center 2700 Yacht Club Way NE Tuscaloosa, AL 35406 (205) 343-4215 *

VRBO - Tuscaloosa

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/alabama/tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more in Tuscaloosa,Alabama on VRBO - Vacation Rentals by Owner
(note: VRBO rentals are often best for families/groups because of their ability to accomodate 4-8+ people in multiple bedrooms, therefore their prices usually reflect those situations - especially at “peak times” (football games, graduations, etc.) However, singles often book them as well to have more of a “home” feel.

Avoid: (these places aren’t well-maintained, yet they will charge high prices during peak times…so that can be misleading)

Motel 6
Super 8
Masters Inn
Rodeway Inn
Quality Inn
LaQuinta seems fine inside, but it’s in a sketchy area, so avoid if possible.

A couple of new ones have opened - Embassy Suites
Home2 Suites (Hilton)

You might enjoy going over the bridge from downtown Tuscaloosa to Northport and walking through the shops and eating at the counter at City Cafe. It’s a classic and great for traditional southern cooking.

Yes, the quaint area in downtown Northport. Go over the Lurleen Wallace bridge, take the first exit (5th Ave), turn left…once you hit Main Street, you’re in Downtown Northport…City Cafe is right there

If you are coming from far away, it’s your opportunity to see some great parts of the US in that week’s time!

If future OOS parents are reading this for next summer, you might consider planning to stay a day in Tuscaloosa, sure, but then get out of town for the rest of the week, and go down to the beaches/coast or drive over to Atlanta or over to New Orleans in the opposite direction, or somewhere else in the 3-4 neighboring states.

All of these are great suggestions. I’ve already booked my hotel (one of the recommended above), thanks for the tips. I’m actually thinking about driving down to Pensacola/Gulf Shores for a couple of days. My family and I used to live in Prattville, AL, and Tampa, FL, but that was many moons ago and it’s been 12+ years since I’ve been to the South.

And, I’m definitely looking forward to some traditional southern cooking and hospitality. :slight_smile:

Envious that you have the time to explore! I’m bringing my DS down the same day for Honors Academy, but it’s just gonna be a kamikaze run for me. We fly into Atlanta Sat night, crash in Birmingham, and drive to Tuscaloosa Sunday morn. I’ll spend the day checking out the campus, then high tail it back to Atlanta to fly back early Monday morning.

Hope you report back with what you wind up choosing- this may not be my only visit to Alabama, after all.

You might want to get ribs at the original Dreamland - don’t let the looks of the joint keep you from going in! Also, check out the campus. There is a Museum of Natural History in Smith Hall, for example! If you are traveling around Alabama, we have enjoyed Fairhope, as well as some of the more well-known places. Also, there is US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville.

My son LOVED SITE between his junior and senior year of high school. He will be a rising sophomore this fall.

Roll Tide! :slight_smile:

Where is the original Dreamland

The Original Dreamland
5535 15th Avenue, East
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405

I don’t know if it is REALLY the original, but that is what they call this location (the one off Jug Factory Road, in the light industrial area). It basically just serves ribs and sides, maybe sausage. Not as big of a menu as the one in Northport… but a fun place to go!

My DD who just finished her first year of engineering at UA, chose her engineering field after attending SITE. She enjoyed SITE, which she did before HS senior year.