Sophomore Housing (Transfer Student)

<p>I was accepted on April 21st as a sophomore transfer student. I am looking at housing and really hoping to get on campus/university housing. However, it seems like I won't due to getting accepted kind of late and I am at the bottom of the wait-list. I am transferring mostly because I find University of Denver a really uncomfortable environment because of the massive amount of obnoxious, rude people and terrible social scene. I was talking to a friend who goes to Wisconsin and he said try to stay out of Towers, Lucky, and Statesider if I don't want to be with coasties and generally obnoxious people. What do you think my chances are of getting on-campus housing? If I don't get it, are there any other places sophomores live? Really looking to find just nice, down to earth, Midwesterners, and social people. Really don't want to deal with the whole coastie and obnoxious and rude people thing again. </p>

<p>Appreciate the help.</p>

<p>Your chances of campus housing are bad. Most sophomores live in houses and apartments. If you don’t want Towers, Lucky or Statesider there aren’t a whole lot of other options other than looking around for your own apartment. The people from the coasts here are FINE, you will not have any problems. I am from the Midwest and I know a LOT of so-called “coasties,” I’m in a sorority that is almost completely composed of them, they’re nice people. Midwesterners are not necessarily more laid-back or down-to-earth. I am shocked you are so worried about this that you need to post multiple threads about it. “Coasties” are nice people and even if you don’t like them (even though they’re pretty much the same as everyone else) you will meet lots of people from all over the country and you’ll make plenty of friends. The coastie-sconnie thing is a JOKE and nothing to seriously worry about. Pick somewhere you would like to live that you think is nice - I recommend Towers or Lucky as those will have the highest number of transfers.</p>

<p>Please relax about this. Most people here at Wisconsin are very nice. There will be some stuck-up snobs but they will be from the Midwest as well as the coast.</p>

<p>have you checked this site?</p>

<p>[Campus</a> Area Housing - UW Madison’s Official Source for Apartments, Roommate Connections and Rentals in the Campus Area](<a href=“UW-Madison Off-Campus Housing Marketplace”>UW-Madison Off-Campus Housing Marketplace)</p>

<p>pick and search based on your criteria. forget all the static from others. look at location style etc…</p>

<p>I apologize for sterotyping and making multiple threads. Just had a bad experience with “Coastie” type people at the school I am at now. I agree that it is a stupid sterotype, but all of my friends at Wisconsin are so anti-private housing and people from the Coasts. Something I need to ignore. I guess a more appropriate question would be how quickly does Towers fill up? Doing my own research looks like a great place where lots of sophomores will be living.</p>

<p>In all honesty I think more Midwesterners are anti-Coastie than Coasties are anti-Midwesterners.</p>

<p>I don’t know how fast it fills up, but many leases have been signed and things are starting to fill. I think Towers is not as popular as some other buildings (it’s older) so you probably have some time. The campus area is a renter’s market - there are more places to live than renters.</p>

<p>Also, where are your friends living? Try living close to them, even if it’s just a small studio apartment.</p>

<p>Friends are living in Ogg. Crossing my fingers that a spot opens up there but dosen’t sound promising. However, my friend said spots open up often. Who knows?</p>

<p>Check out College Park - it’s right across the street from Ogg, lots and lots of sophomores now that I think about it. I don’t know if they do roommate matching but they could have one-bedroom apartments or maybe some multi-bedrooms with a vacancy. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it before. And you’ll find all the Midwesterners your little heart could want.</p>

<p>Hey! I found your post on a google search. I was planning to transfer to UW Madison from the University of Minnesota beginning in the Fall of 2011. Because of recent events, I will no longer be able to, so I am trying to find a girl (preferably a UW Student!) to live in the apartment that I signed a lease for. It is in the perfect location with a really sweet girl as a roommate (my best friend). The girl will be a sophomore next year. The apartment is a 2 bedroom/1 bath with full kitchen (and brand new appliances!) carpeted living room and wood floors in the bedrooms. It is located in the heart of downtown and campus, on state street, above Jamba Juice. The cost of the bedroom I am looking to rent out is about $600 per month, which includes all utilities. Let me know if you’re still looking for a place! Email me at <a href=“mailto:bild0032@umn.edu”>bild0032@umn.edu</a> if you are interested. I would love to get in touch with you.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>On-campus housing has filled (and then some) since I was a freshman in 08-09, so I’d take a look around. Usually, the last students that get into University Housing wind up living in a floor den with several other students. I’ve had a few friends that had this arrangement for up to a semester and thought it was okay, but it’s definitely not a traditional dorm room arrangement. Spots might open in housing after winter break - for now, I’d suggest looking for a sublet. A few of my friends have been accepted to study abroad in the fall and are looking to unload their apartments for at least a semester… that might be one scenario you could look into.</p>

<p>As for locations/buildings to live in, here’s my take. Lucky/Statesider/Towers definitely have a reputation for having a larger non-Wisconsinite population. These places tend to be associated with students with a lot of money and yes, with coasties. I don’t see/feel the tension between coasties/Wisconsin kids that some people perceive. The stereotypes exist on both sides, but generally most people are nice and genuine. There’s a pretty high concentration of sophomore students in the area (roughly) bound by Dayton St., Park St., Regent St., and Randall St. This area is colloquially known as the “sophomore slums.” That’s not a comment on the quality of housing, but just refers to the fact that this is a popular area for people to move to after spending their freshman year in the dorms. I live in the area now as a junior and like it. It’s close to campus, yet removed from the “school” atmosphere you spend so much time in each day.</p>

<p>I will be living at Regent 101 this upcoming fall. I’m also a transfer student. Does anyone know about this place? Overall, is it nice? Is it quiet? Although I love hanging out with my friends, I HATE going to parties, so I hope Regent is not too associated with parties. Thanks!</p>

<p>SO I committed to Lucky 101 living on the Transfer Hall. In all honesty, sharing a room with a roommate is $8,000, not that much more expensive than university housing. I would obviously prefer to live on campus in university housing but it is not an option at this point. Of the people I have talked to living in Lucky on the transfer hall, a lot are midwest transferring from schools in MN and WI. Not too worried about whole coastie thing. I think I made the right decision getting a roomate. Having a single in lucky is like 13,000! That would attract more Coasties I think.</p>

<p>BlessedGuy, there are some parties at Regent. There are parties everywhere - Madison is a party school. However, I don’t think you’ll have problems avoiding them. On the weekends it could be noisy, but that’s the nature of anywhere with a bunch of college students on a weekend, you know? Just don’t call the cops whenever you hear noise on a Friday night, that’s just mean.</p>

<p>Also I don’t think most people do live in singles in Lucky…I mean obviously yes they probably fill up, but I don’t think they’re very popular, probably because of the cost but also because having an apartment to yourself is kind of lonely and people want to live with their friends. </p>

<p>It’s kind of sad though how much hate you have for “Coasties,” just do yourself a favor and don’t write them off right away when you get here. In all honesty you sound more closed-minded about them than I have ever heard a “Coastie” be about another person from anywhere.</p>

<p>I don’t hate Coasties at all. I guess I have had a REALLY bad experience with rich, obnoxious people at the school I was at. I know I sound hateful of them and I hate to come across that way. I have a TON of friends from the coast. It’s just where I was at, I develped a really bad sterotype for them just because they were everywhere. I know not all people are like that from the coast at all. I am not going to come to Madison and say oh I am not gonna be your friend because your from the coast.</p>

<p>RoxSox, thanks. Do you know if it’s worse at Regent than at the University Housing? Is it more controlled on the campus?</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T959 using CC App</p>

<p>Regent will have slightly less strict rules, but I wouldn’t call the dorms strict at all. I think your major difference is that in the dorms there will be mostly just pregames - not many real parties. Regent will have pregames more actual parties which might be kind of louder (although the dorms can get a little loud in all honesty, even if alcohol is not involved). Underage drinking here is not enforced unless you are disturbing others - both in the dorms and off-campus.</p>

<p>If you specifically want to avoid parties Regent is not somewhere that would be my first choice. It is not the biggest party place on campus but there will definitely be a lot of parties on the weekends.</p>

<p>Does Regent 101 or Lucky 101 generally house more Sophomores and/or transfer students? Visited both during my visit to Madison. Leaning more towards Lucky just because I found it more social, lots of people walking around, the wonderful location, and the opportunity to live on a hallway just for Transfers. Regent 101 was just a little too quiet when I visited. Maybe I was there on a bad day. Anyway, I was just curious where most sophomores and/or transfers live. </p>

<p>thanks.</p>

<p>I’d guess the vast majority just find private apartments or rent a room in an apt/house with other people they may or may not know. At the start of school there are 100’s of postings of people seeking roommates all over town. Some will do an interview and others just take the first person that seems normal and has cash to move in. That’s what most people do and how they live. Usually it works and can be great fun.</p>

<p>Yeah, most of them find houses around campus, there are fewer in big apartment buildings. So they’re not all that localized.</p>

<p>Check out College Park as I have said, there are many sophomores there.</p>

<p>Further, you will meet people wherever you live - perhaps they will be juniors or maybe even freshmen. You’ll make friends, don’t restrict yourself to sophomores or transfers only.</p>

<p>I just registered so I could back up Playa2991 on this. I’m currently transferring out of DU as well for the exact same reason and it was a big factor in the schools I’m applying to, UW being my top right now. She is NOT exaggerating or crazy. It’s a weird place. Still is apparently.</p>