UW Transfer Student Housing

<p>I am transferring to Madison after my freshman year from the University of Denver next fall. I'll be a sophomore. Leaving Denver for multiple reasons mostly because I found the average person to be EXTREMELY snotty, obnoxious, and just plain rude. Campus is also too small for me and the social/party/sports team is pretty much nonexistent. Really depressing living on a campus when you see like 3 people walking across campus on a Saturday night. Anyway, I was looking for housing options for this coming fall and saw that Madison has a Transfer House at Tripp Hall. Anyone live here before and can tell me the pros/cons and general reputation of the Transfer House at Tripp Hall? I will be a Legal Studies major if anyone has any advice on that too I would much appreciate it. </p>

<p>On a side note, as I said before University of Denver is just full of rude and obnoxious people. Chose Madison to transfer too because of the few cool people I have met at Denver, they are all from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and other Midwest states. I find them to be much more laid back, extremely friendly, and overall just respectful people. So, I am hoping that Wisconsin will be the opposite of Denver and be more laid back and have the nice, Midwestern feel. For people who attend UW-Madison, is Madison a friendly, Midwestern place? I am not gonna lie, I am from Maryland so I guess I am considered a coastie. However, I hate that lifestyle. Main reason I am leaving Denver. Hoping Madison is more laid back, people are friendly and not snobby, *******s like they are at Denver.</p>

<p>Sorry I rambled on. I appreciate your input.</p>

<p>I am thinking about transferring there as well, I am just waiting to hear back from Bentley and Babson, but I just got into Wisconsin and I am pretty pumped.
Wisconsin is an extremely laidback place, where everyone is just generally nice. Now, there is always going to be the rich snobby stuckup people anywhere you go, but Madison specifically inhibits a down-to-earth liberal population. I am going to know absolutely no one there so if your trying to find a roommate lemme kno.</p>

<p>For sure bro. Where are you from? If I get accepted, I am thinking summer school. Wisconsin’s General Education requirements seem pretty specific. Think I will need to take quantitative reasoning, ethics, and science.</p>

<p>Be sure to check on housing availability asap with Res Halls once you decide to go to UW. A public flagship U so students may be elitist about their school’s academics but generally not otherwise- they come from all sorts of socioeconimic backgrounds. Don’t worry about being OOS, even from a coast (that stereotype doesn’t sound like you). I wonder if you can place out of any quant reasoning- your advisor will inform you of your needed coursework.</p>

<p>Do most people get their General Ed requirements done freshman year? I plan on knocking some out this summer, but they are just a lot.</p>

<p>I think most people kind of space it out. Your Comm A and Quant A (communications and math) are usually done freshman year and a lot of people do Comm/Quant B too. But the breadth requirements usually take a long time to finish, which is fine, you just have those as electives along with your major classes. It can take a few years.</p>

<p>The breadth requirements need to be done by the time you graduate and offer a chance to take something besides courses in your major later on. It can be nice to be taking “X 101” among the heavy duty upper level courses. Many students will get many breadth requirements out of the way early on as they take courses while trying to decide on their major. I don’t refer to them as “general education” requirements as there is too much variety available in meeting them. They are to insure that students get a breadth, as well as depth, in their college education. There are only a few university wide requirements for competency in math and English, usually met by HS skills.</p>

<p>Alright word. Im living in Boston but Im from Chicago. Ill send u a message and u can add me on fb or something</p>

<p>Im probably transferring to madison from university of illinois. Ive heard that transfer housing is bad and it seems like its not available anyway. Did anyone else get that email? Would love to talk to you guys about housing, I have no idea what im doing!</p>

<p>Don’t worry. Living in the dorms your first year at UW is a good way to have your meals and housing taken care of. You can choose to ignore the freshmen on your dorm floor and lead your own life. Since many more than half of the dorm residents are freshmen there will be plenty of activites geared to new college students in the fall. You can feel free to ignore any you choose and join in any. There is a lot more to campus than dorm life so you can think of your dorm as a just a place to sleep if you want. Never any need to be friends with your roommate, simply getting along works. Food service has a lot of flexibility. There will be returning sophomores in the dorms- check with Res Halls for the dorms with the most. You will meet other students with similar interests in your classes.</p>

<p>See other threads about UW housing.</p>

<p>So housing in the Transfer House is completely closed?</p>