Switching College from Germany to the US for entry into this Fall

If your long-range goal is to get a job that will let you live in the US for at least a while, then probably the fastest and easiest route would be to complete an undergraduate degree in engineering or computer science wherever you can complete it, then pursue a graduate degree in that field in the US. That would position you reasonably well to get a job that will eventually get you a longer term work visa.

@b@r!um
I’ll ask them today, don’t really know. But I’m pretty sure they award a Polish degree so I should be able to work in Europe as well. Thanks for noticing these points!

@aunt bea
I didn’t know California isn’t in need of Doctors, but I don’t think I should change my plans based on that. If I didn’t find a good position in the US, I would have no problem working in the UK - and it’s much less drama to recognize a US residency there than in Germany. Eventually, after gaining some experience, I may be able to find a better position in the US. In any case, it’s also important to be a graduate of a good medical school in order to get a good residency spot. And as for languages, I’m almost fluent in French (which may be not so important) and Arabic besides German and English and I’m really looking forward to learn one or two new languages in the next couple of years. So with the UK I have some type of a plan B. Good that you mentioned that though :).

@happymomof1
Well, I don’t think I should change my plans only because it’d be difficult to find employment in California. However, I am considering a career in medical-based research or disease prevention (although that’s something I’d decide after graduation). Do you think employment chances are better in that field?

Samman, have you looked into the programs I discussed in#92?
Also, would the medical programs be for fall2015, isn’t it very late to apply, and how sure are you you’d get admitted considering your Abitur results and first year university results?
Can you take a gap semester, perhaps apply for Spring2016?
Have you looked into CCNY?

@MYOS1634
Yes, I have. Kinesiology isn’t really for me and Applied Economics isn’t health related at all, although it’s interesting. I think Nutrition is interesting, but is it important which major I choose for medical school?
I wrote an email to CCNY a few weeks ago and they said they aren’t able to provide enough scholarships. I contacted Humboldt, Southern Oregon and UMaine Farmington, but didn’t receive a reply yet.
The application deadline of the 6-year medical programs in Poland and Romania are at the end of July so there’s enough time left and I wouldn’t apply before the end of this month. I’m just not sure which option is the better one, i.e. to study in the US/Scotland first and then go to med school or to go to med school directly.

California or bust, huh? Grasping.

@aunt bea
What do you mean?

Samman, did you look at the School of Kinesiology and its majors?
The content of the classes is very similar to what you’d take at a European med school for a couple years: physiology, anatomy, biology, chemistry, etc.
http://www.cehd.umn.edu/kin/current/undergrad/kin.html
You can’t say you’re interested in medicine but not Kinesiology.

@MYOS1634
I did some research about Kinesiology and it seems like it’s an alternative to medicine. It’s like Chiropractic. The classes are similar, but the focus lays on physiology and biomechanics rather than on the usual medical course content. Moreover, this major isn’t really known in Germany. This is usually a apprenticeship job, as far as I know - like nursing.

Kinesiology is related to sports medicine, and is not “alternative” at all. But if you aren’t interested in it, move on.

A lot of medical research is done by Ph.D. biochemists rather than M.D.s If you are serious about bio-medical research, an M.D. is not necessary at all. However a good undergrad degree in a bio-science (human nutrition, bio-medical engineering, biochemistry, biophysics, etc.) would be necessary, followed by a Ph.D. program, and post-doctoral research at a place like Max Planck, Pasteur Inst., or the NIH. The good news about that pathway is that you’d only need to pay for your undergrad degree. The Ph.D. program and post-doc research would be fully funded. The bad news is that it is a long hard slog, and you would need to consistently be one of the very top students in order to get through it all.

@happymomof1
Thank you so much! I would consider going into medical research after working as a Doctor for a few years, not right after university. I was just curios about how this works ;). Is it really possible to get into a Ph.D. program only with an undergraduate degree?

Yes, Kinesiology is related to sports medicine, it’s some kind of Physiotherapy (that’s why I said it’s an alternative) and movement science on a higher level, but I don’t find this particular field interesting.

Write NOW to the Wilkes Honors College, FAU’s honors college that has its own campus next to the Maxaplancdk institute. Excellent for sciencepremed, tons of top internship, Florida weather and beaches, AND they may still have scholarships .

Yes you can get into a PhD program with just an undergrad degree. Most biochem/biomed type PhD programs will be direct admit. The only reason to do a separate MS first would be if you were changing fields or if your grades really weren’t good enough in your undergrad program.

Valid point! If you’re not particularly interested in kinesiology to start with, stick to a major/degree that would be recognized in Europe, such as biology.

If you are pretty sure that you’d end up in a Polish medical program anyway, you might just as well start there and save yourself the extra uncertainty and expenses from an unrelated undergraduate education. However, if you want to to explore an alternative (and less risky) career path first, doing a separate Bachelor’s program first might be the better option. It’s your choice!

What do you find compelling in medical studies?

@MYOS1634
Thanks, wrote to them. I hope for a positive reply, would love to go there! I’m almost depressed USF wasn’t able to provide enough scholarships last year. Are there any other universities I can contact? Humboldt said their deadline passed, the others didn’t reply yet.
And I like emergency medicine/care the most, also anesthesia and neurosurgery.

@b@r!um
A Bachelor’s program would also give me a (small) chance to go to medical school in the UK, although I heard there are 40 applicants per study place. Will still need to think about it though. The recruitment agency of a Polish universitiy replied to me - they said that graduates would still have to pass the exams for international graduates and that graduates from any country outside the US would have to go through that. Also, I heard from many students attending Romanian universities that they were satisfied by the university and they have a relatively good reputation among some. Keeping in mind that their cost is only 5,000€/year it would be a good option if their degree wasn’t almost useless outside the EU.

@MYOS1634
The Wilkes Honors College replied and they said students usually admitted have a GPA of 3.9 or higher and a SAT score of 1800+. I don’t think there’s a real chance there.

Yes, it’s true you also need a college that’s easy to get into. Wat about Southern Oregon university? Or Evergreen State? Would they have programs you’re interested in, be open to transfers, and have remaining scholarships? What about UNC Pembroke?

@MYOS1634 Thanks :). Southern Oregon doesn’t have scholarships anymore, but I’ll contact the other two choices.

Might SOU be affordable without a scholarship?

@MYOS1634
Not really. Southern Utah seems to be the best bet out of the universities that still have scholarships.