Syracuse merit/test optional?

My D23 applied to Newhouse but was waitlisted. She had a 95% GPA and applied TO. All very disappointed because both parents are alums and she spent the previous summer in the SU pre-college program. She was admitted off the waitlist but to A&S. She did not accept because she only wanted Newhouse but received a $20k merit scholarship.

My daughter was accepted into Newhouse 23 without submitting test scores and receive a very nice merit scholarship

1 Like

Congrats! Can you give an idea of whether there may have been a standout part of her application that helped with merit?

You’re over-thinking this. People never know what aspects of the application are what gets them admitted and beyond that how merit might get attributed. To clarify you can look up what components of an application a school focuses on (scores, LOR’s, EC’s, etc) but “how come that kid got $5K more merit than my kid even though my kid’s SAT score was 100 points higher” is a waste of effort. The school was looking for more boys or more girls for specific programs, or more kids from a geographic location or some other “thing”.

Put forward the best application you can and see what the results are. At some schools merit can be negotiated as well provided you have an award from a comparable school. “Hey, my kid got a $10K merit award from RIT and would really like to come to Syracuse but we’d like to see if you can match?”

Sorry, I am just seeing this! She created a volunteer organization that worked with older adults and veterans to get them access to tablets, phones, etc and other types of media; she published scientific research (i’m being vague here to not make her identity known); she was a varsity and club athlete, editor of the school newspaper, President of NHS, etc. During her interview, SU was very interested in her service organization.

1 Like