TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I want y’all’s opinion if I will get in based on my stats:
SAT: 1310 (680 math, 630 english)
GPA: 3.66 unweighted, they put me in the 2nd quarter
Econ, Liberal arts as my 1st choice major
I have about 150 volunteer hours, have had a part time job since sophomore year, have been a cheerleader all 4 years, cheer captain this year, 2 honors societies, student government junior and senior year, and other EC’s.
I am worried about my acceptance because of my lower GPA. Let me know what y’all think! Thanks!

All engineer majors are holistically reviewed.

@AggieMomhelp hoping you can answer a new question I have, or give me your opinion. My daughters classmate who also applied is like everyone, impatiently waiting ?
My daughter shared with him the useful help I’ve received here, and asked if I’d get an opinion… so, apparently he took the ACT and the SAT because a couple of other schools he’d planned on applying to required both. Somehow, he’d accidentally had his ACT automatically sent to A&M when he apparently wanted to decide that first. Idk how that part works, my daughter handled hers without any help from me, so idk, but whatever the case, he got a really awful ACT score but a good SAT. Do you think that TAMU will disregard the low ACT since the SAT was so good, or is he poop out of luck because now they’ve seen both?

@nervoustamumommy Honestly, I think that the TAMU AOs will look at the best score regardless of ACT or SAT - same concept applies where they look at best ACT score or best SAT score. He should rest easy in that respect.

@JaceyK thank you! I was hoping the same would apply! Poor kid has very little parental support, so he’s been asking me a million questions, which I have few answers to ?

Hey guys, I’m still a bit confused on the Texas am decides your quartile. If I have a 4.65 out of 6 at a pretty competitive school, do you think I’ll rank top quarter? And I heard from somewhere that they don’t even check how competitive your school is when assigning you a quartile tank? So confused? Thabks!

When did you apply: July 2
When did you get your UIN:
When did you receive your admission decision: still waiting
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review
Major/College of Choice: communications (liberal arts)
Class Rank: 97/764
SAT (with Sub Scores)
ACT (with Sub Scores) 28
subscores: English 30, Mathematics 27, Reading 27, Science 26
My son has been waiting so long. We’re about to give up hope.

@ja9708 any ecs?

@Tunnelbear99 There is no way anyone can answer your question.Your sophomore GPA matters not. Only what you finish with after Jr year. And that can change for a lot of students between now and then. It depends on your schools grading scale that will come with the transcript you send in after Jr year.
The competitiveness of your school does not matter. A&M wants to see how you perform against your classmates with access to the same resources.
This is a question your school guidance counselor may be best to ask. Though your school does not formally rank, she will have an idea of what GPA’s would make the top 25% at the school.

@ja9708 The vast majority of review admits do not receive a decision from A&M until January or after. You have been waiting a long time but this is the time frame to expect a decision, not before. Schools that give out earlier decisions are not as competitive for admissions. Hang in there. Decisions will start being released soon.

@ja9708 We’ve been waiting since July 1st and are about to give up hope as well. Glad to hear there is someone else who has been waiting as long as we have. I was starting to wonder if something had happened to the application and slipped through the cracks or something since I hadn’t heard anyone waiting since the very beginning like us!

@hhoowwddyy
My daughter has almost your exact stats.
1310 SAT with the same breakdown scores, 28 ACT, 4.1 weighted, tons of volunteer hours, job since sophomore, cheerleader for a year, mentoring with children. She has not been admitted yet. Aggiemom told me a while back that my daughter’s chances were very good to get full admission or possibly Blinn

@tdawns - we are super similar to you stats-wise. For us we’ll be moving (currently overseas) this summer so having SO much up in the air is really testing my sanity…LOL

I’m going to take a wild guess and say there are approximately 10,000 applicants that are still waiting a decision from Texas A&M. It’s a big boat we’re all in. There are also plenty of schools where most if not all applicants don’t hear a single peep from the university’s admission staff until March 15th or March 31st. We are all, almost there. By April we’ll be busy making decisions and plans for Fall. Good Luck and hang in there everyone.

@TXDad56 - in past years they have reviewed more than 17,000 and some people are reporting that information sessions are telling them there were a record number of applicants this year. I’m afraid the waiting number of applicants is closer to 20,000, particularly since there have been nearly 9,000 PSA decisions in years past.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/profile

@BlueBayouAZ my guesstimate was taking into account those who have already heard since November ie the AA and others.

And there’s no reason to feel ‘disrespected’ because you haven’t had your decision here, but have from other schools, along with their computer generated, auto emailers, ‘pick us’, ‘we want you’ etc correspondences. Unless you have an ED application, you really need to, or should, wait until all your schools send you their Financial Aid and scholarship packages, which happens in April. If we all had all our college acceptances on December 1st or today even, we would be complaining that we need the financial aid/scholarships packages!! April is when we all have to wait for. That’s when we have all the information we need to make a good decision.

@aggiegurl The rank and scores are 50% of what they look at. Test scores are top of average for TAMU full admits in most cases. The others you asked about make up the other 50%… so yes, it definitely matters. Did the essay discuss the medical set back and to why they are 3rd quarter and the upward trend in GPA? My gut is they are a perfect candidate for Gateway. Summer school before freshman year. Makes the grades then full time Aggie in the Fall. It’s an amazing program and in my opinion, better than Team (although that is an awesome program, just longer to be full time aggie). Best of luck!!!

@hhoowwddyy 2nd quarter may hurt you, but I think you have a strong application. If not full admit, I would expect Team or gateway!!! Your ECs are good. Anything you do for 4 years and move up in leadership is extremely positive in their eyes!!!

@BlueBayouAZ when we attended a freshman info session a few weeks ago they said they had a record 52,000 applicants this year and that review admits were going to have to be very patient. I almost wish we hadn’t gone because, much of the content was how many auto/academic admits they have this year and they went out of their way to paint a VERY bleak picture for review admits. Another parent had a similar experience at one of those sessions. Praying they were just being cautious not to get hopes up, but I was shocked at how much of it was about the slim chances for reviews for this year ?

Quick question; if one doesn’t receive full admit, are they given the options between gateway and blind-team? Or does A&M tell you which one you’ve been offered?

you are told what you are being offered. BUT remember, your student/you can always attend Blinn in CStat and not be on Team (if not offered). So many get denied and go to Blinn for 1 or 2 semesters and apply for following summer or fall. If you do well (3.0 or higher depending on major), you have a high probability of getting in. Just food for thought for back up plans. No one at TAMU knows who goes where outside of class. And it’s definitely not looked down on at all.