TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this group for all the information. I have been following along here for a few weeks but never commented. I am from Aggie class '99 and my family bleeds maroon. I am heartbroken to say that my son has chosen to attend a different school. He was accepted into 9 other universities and A&M was just too slow. He feels like if this is how they treat their applicants then the rest will just be a cattle call. I am so sad! But I will get to visit a beautiful area when I visit him. He is going to the Colorado School of MInes. Best of luck to all the engineering students still waiting. By the way, to those of you who think you won’t have your scholarship and housing info until March, that is wrong. We have scholarship, FAFSA and housing information from 9 other schools.

@WantabeAg , sorry, but that makes no sense. There are sooooooo many great colleges that don’t have decisions until mid to late March, ie Ivy’s and top 30 schools not to ‘disrespect’ applicants but because that’s there process. This looks like an entitlement issue that is best learned now before they enter the real world. Dislike me if you want to, but this is a teaching lesson opportunity missed. Sorry he didn’t get his participation medal first.

Listen I understand how you feel. But facts are facts. The other schools have given acceptance and A&M hasn’t. No one wanted my Ags to be top of the game more than me.

@WantabeAg what was his class rank? Looks like he should have been at least an academic admit. But in any case, he has an impressive list of acceptances and you must be very proud. One has to go with his heart on where he would like to be and maybe A&M really wasn’t really it. I would assume that even the deferred students will hear in the next couple of weeks. Disappointing as it is maybe his heart just wan’t in it enough to wait a couple of weeks and it is a very personal decision. Wishing him the best of luck!!!

The regular decision acceptances for the Ivies and some other elite schools are not until mid to late March but the early decision and early action applicants were notified in mid December. The reason that many colleges recruit students and offer early decision option is because it is a successful strategy for attracting the best and the brightest. TAMU must adhere to state mandated admissions procedure that limit their ability to make early offers to students and I’m sure it hurts the university since many top students will have already committed to very fine universities. The fact that TAMU is not able to provide a more personal admissions process does reflect that it is a very large university that is not able to provide the type of personal attention that a student will likely receive at a small liberal arts schools. Of course, there are also different advantages to going to college at a large research institution like TAMU. My opinion is that none of this none of this reflects poorly on applicants who prefer to take an early offer with a fine merit or financial aid.

@Txdad56 yikes. Little rough for a Friday morning. :smiley:

Hang in there everyone. Decisions are coming. The wait is temporary. And I do agree with @txdad56 to his point on many competitive schools do not give decisions this early. They aren’t trying to torture us
 at least I hope not!

@nervoustamumommy Did I read that right??? Was there a wave today? I hadn’t seen a peep about it on the forum today.
When you say accepted on AIS do you know when they got 6 tabs on Howdy? Was it 1/11?
Can you provide any specifics? Major, stats? I realize they are friends so you might not have that information but if you do please share. :slight_smile:

@AggieMomhelp , for someone to come on this thread with so many Aggie hopeful applicants and their parents, and be so disingenuous to say they’ve decided against A&M because they were disrespected in some way, is just flat out wrong. And for it to come from a parent
sad. It would have been better left unsaid then to take such a dishonest swipe at A&M. They wanted SoM over all those other better known CS schools for a reason, and it’s not because they are waiting on A&M.

@TXDad56 I interpreted that the parent was just personally disappointed that her son chose another school because she really wanted him to got to A&M not that she was feeling disrespected. Her son is human and it is natural to feel that some schools “want” you more when they provide early acceptances and scholarships. He did apply for EA and should have technically received his decision by now. These are kids and do not have the full life experiences to always be able to see the big picture. I think you may be being too harsh and judgmental in this case, just my opinion. We are all frustrated and anxious at this point and all have different circumstances. We should be supporting each other not judging

Everyone hang in there!!!

Are the applications looked at in order that they were submitted? Submitted here on July 1 and haven’t heard anything. That must be a bad sign right?
Stats:

Class rank: 14% (really 13% but since it was discovered after dec 1 they refused to listen to counselor
GPA 3.87 unweighted 4.2 weighted
Several AP/preAp classes
Went to State all four years in vball (2 gold and 2silver)
Team Captain of vball team
Numerous vball awards
Great LOR
NHS
National Club vball
SAT 1160 (oops)

Can you not commit to a school if you are afraid of loosing that option while you wait to hear from TAMU?

137 pages of mostly good info
let’s close the door on page 137 and move on.

There doesn’t seem to be a wave today @AggieDreamin. I hope it’s next week for everyone. But let me just say, IF you/your child doesn’t get in the next wave, there should be one more with full admit status in February and let’s not forget Team and Gateway (Both make them an Aggie through and through). Let’s now move to page 138 as @goodbull91 mentioned! = )

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp Is it possible to commit to another school while you are waiting to hear from TAMU? I was told you could commit and later withdraw if you got into another school without any issues as long as it was before May. What are your thoughts?

:-SS [-O< :-SS [-O<

Is anyone else like X_X when they log into the AIS? BTW this is just a small blip in their lives - they won’t even remember (or even think about) how long they waited for their acceptance when they graduate from college!

@aggiemomhelp My son asked why he should consider Blinn if offered that. I told him why not? Told him what you said about being an Aggie every sense except where your classes are for the first year or two. He is still struggling with why he should consider it. Hopefully, if offered that, he will do the research on his own and ask them the questions - hearing it directly from them may have a different impact on him.

@AggieDreamin I don’t know specifics yet, my daughter text me from school today so she’s not home yet for me to inundate her with questions yet (which I know I probably won’t be able to refrain from lol) but her text just named three of her close friends that checked today and found out they were accepted. One checked while at school so the counselor came and gave her a big high five. The other two I’m assuming found out at home. Fingers crossed it’s a BIG wave haha. So far, nothing’s changed on my daughters AIS page. Does anyone know if they’re typically released into the system all during a specific timeframe when there’s a wave (such as all at once in one day, or sporadically over a weekend etc?) my fingers are crossed that maybe we will get some answers this weekend as well! I have a 19 year old at Blinn in dental hygiene, and we already have her in an apartment, so one thing we are fortunate for is, my senior will be moving in with her, so whether A&M or Blinn, her living situation is figured out. She decided if she doesn’t get in, she’d rather do Blinn and try to transfer, so she declined her acceptance to Texas State and UNH. She wants TAMU SO SO bad though!

@daughterengineer Depending on the school will determine if you can accept or not. I would late until last possible second to commit though. My son signed up for NSC at University of Arkansas and we put down housing deposit just in case. We lost the deposit but that was in a way committing. They cannot contractually bind you. But if there’s a cutoff date for accepting your spot, I can’t imagine it being earlier than April
 right?

@Jaceyk Blinn team students take classes on A&M campus. You take one or two there and one or two on Blinn campus. You can apply as transfer at any time. You don’t have to wait until the two years are up. This is what most kiddos do.

Oh and waves come out by the extra 3 tabs showing up in Howdy. AIS is later. So if you wake up and check after 7:00 am and you don’t have tabs, then historically 100% you won’t find out later in the day if you’re accepted. Does that make sense? Tabs have always come first
 and always in the morning.

Son has been accepted to TAMU Galveston, (applied separately as plan-B) so Howdy already shows 6 tabs. Anyway to differentiate a CStat admittance in Howdy from his GV admittance? Thanks in advance and thank you all for the great questions and answers/advice. I just may be addicted to this forum ?

@paradiseAggie Congrats on Galveston. And the only way to tell that I know is on the manage application page. It’ll show the location where it shows major. GV or CS