TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@AggieMomhelp Thanks! Thats what we have done. We paid the housing deposit for the University of Tennessee Knoxville. They say that the sooner you pay it the higher up on the list you are put for LLC housing. We are still holding out hope for TAMU and if she gets lucky we will just loose that deposit. Thanks for all your helpful information.

@DaughterEngineer We did the same thing at Texas Tech to make sure my DD could get into the suites instead of general housing. We have not committed to Texas Tech at this point but will lose the premium deposit if she gets accepted to TAMU. But we are still rooting for TAMU!!!

I am also waiting to hear from A&M and like a lot of people here am going crazy waiting. My brother is there now (Class 2021) Mays. He was Academic Admit with my exact same stats but I am in Review status:

Applied: 9/18 (waiting on August SATā€™s, 5th attempt for Academic)
Major/College of Choice: Mays or Econ (looks like Mays is out)
Class Rank: Top 16%
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1310 - 640R/670M
UW GPA: 3.62
W GPA: 94.35/100 (weird grading scale for AP/DC at my school)

@AggieMomHelp Iā€™m fine with BT, but because so many applied and I waited for better SATā€™s, Iā€™m worried I wonā€™t get that either. Like your son, I got into Arkansas Honors Business (my 2nd choice) and put down a dorm deposit. Iā€™m super nervous because there you have to choose dorms/roommates starting February 5th!! And only (3) freshman dorms have suites/with bathrooms (vs. community). I donā€™t know if I have to accept admission to choose a dorm on February 5th, do you? Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll have to make a choice by then because they require freshman live on campus and if I donā€™t get into A&M or BT I want to choose a decent dorm. Do you know anything about how that works? Iā€™m so stressed out. Thanks for all your great advice!

Class rank: 181/391, GPA unweighted: 3.1, SAT: 1140, out of state, forensic science major, a lot of extracurriculars. Do I have a good chance on getting it? Got denied from Ohio State so this is my new top school. Hoping to hear back soon

@AggieMomhelp do gateway and Team offers always come out after full admits, or do they vary? My daughter said that during the first wave one of the girls from her student council group mentioned sheā€™d gotten gateway, but at the time (before I found this awesome forum!) I didnā€™t know if that was unusual for her to get that so early on.

@mko1121 I personally loved Arkansas. So beautiful and the town. Omg so fun. The business honors was amazing as well. Iā€™m glad my son is close but i was wanting him to have full college experience. As soon as he got Tamu he pulled the plug on everything but cal poly. Anyway, I do not know how the housing works at the feb 5th mark. If I was a betting girl, I would say your daughter will hear in January from Tamu. Those stats are really solid.

@maddunc your 2nd almost 3rd quarter rank and below Tamu average sat will probably not get you in as a freshman. Look at transfer options. Iā€™m sure you will do great when youā€™re studying what you want to study. After 24 graded creditsā€¦ apply to Tamu again. Make sure you look at what FIVs requires for transfer and what the course equivalents are from where you go. My daughter was a sophomore transfer. Its a smooth process. Best of luck and if Iā€™m wrongā€¦ I will be so happy for you!!!

Absolutely have never heard of gateway or team coming out before February. So not sure I believe what sheā€™s saying. It would be odd andi unheard of. @thelma2. You?

@AggieMomhelp yeah, kind of what I thought. My daughter isnā€™t very close with her at all, and at the time I didnā€™t have this resource to pick your brain ?
I know the girl initially was going to Blinn Brenham, only because sheā€™s been doing colorgaurd for years, and apparently was going to be able to do it at Blinn. Then she heard how lousy it is in Brenham (sorry folks, my oldest tried one semester there and hated it, seems to be the consensus in my area) and decided to forgo the colorgaurd in Brenham to be able to live in CSTAT. From what sheā€™d mentioned to my kiddo was that she really didnā€™t give a hoot whether she went to A&M or Blinn so long as she got to be in that area, but said she was quickly accepted to Gateway not long after applying. Now that Iā€™ve read the wealth of info in here I looked back on that and thought it sounded off. Who knows ?

@highhopes25 I would definitely try to work something out. Thatā€™s just not acceptable, and I feel like it is something worth fighting for. Assuming the profile is up to date with the transcript that was sent it, I feel like it should work out. Best of luck!

@AggieMomhelp @nervoustamumommy In admission cycles since class of 2020, Gateway has always been in February. It sometimes has come out on itā€™s own day or in conjunction with other decisions, but it has never come out early.

When did you apply: 11/07/2018
When did you get your UIN: 11/08/2018
When did you receive your admission decision: Accepted (recieved letter in the mail 01/19/2019)
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Holistic (Engineering)
Major/College of Choice: Aerospace Engineering
Class Rank: Top 4%
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1350
ACT (with Sub Scores): Did not Send

@mt2932 Congratulations! Thank you for posting stats. It of course helps the rest of us track trends.

@nervousmommy Due to admissions terminology, I could easily see an applicant misstate the status of their application status or another student misinterpreting another studentā€™s statement. As a parent, I have trouble keeping up with the different terms, some of which are unique to each university.

Does anyone know chances of getting into the Kinesiology Dance Science program? I tried out and made the progran, but have to get admitted by the University. Do you think the Dance Department would tell them to admit someone in this situation?

@mt2932 just wondering, are you in state and did your acceptance letter come in the mail before the online portal?

As one of the moderators MaineLonghorn has commented on threads and she is perfectly right: " If you see a user with just a couple of posts who claims to know something that everyone else doesnā€™t, PLEASE use some common sense and realize theyā€™re spamming. Itā€™s best to report their post and ignore them".

@hansenelliott007 Portal always updates first. It takes a week or longer to receive the packet in the mail, which is done after decisions are released.

If you, or your student, have/has AP tests they may want to use for credit for a class, here is a link of the AP test, what scores you need and the A&M class it satisfied.

http://testing.tamu.edu/TestingServices/media/Media/PDFs/AP.pdf

For Engineering, here are the AP test scores and classes
http://testing.tamu.edu/TestingServices/media/Media/PDFs/AP.pdf

Remember for Engineering, they require 2 science and 2 math to be taken AT A&M,(in addition to the engineering classes) so if you have the AP scores to claim for Cal I and II, you will be required to take 251, 253, 304, 308; or CSCE 222 (Discrete Math in order to satisfy the ETAM requirement.

AP Calculus is not near as rigorous as Engineering Calculus at a top ranked engineering school. Neither is Dual Credit calculus from a community college.

Required Coursework - General engineering students are required to complete at least the following courses at Texas A&M University with a minimum grade of C or higher:

Engineering: Two engineering courses from the following list ā€“ ENGR 102, ENGR 216

Science: Two science courses from the following list ā€“ PHYS 206, PHYS 207, PHYS 222, CHEM 107/117 or CHEM 101/111, CHEM 102/112.

Math: Two math courses from the following list ā€“ MATH 151, 152, 251, 253, 304, 308; CSCE 222 (Discrete Math)

@AggieMomhelp
Can someone please explain where in the AIS does A&M show how they rank the applicantā€™s quarter? I have not seen my ddā€™s portal (she keeps it locked down :slight_smile: - but from reading all the comment re: A&M reclassifies the qtr that a student might be in I am curious where that is shown on the AIS. Thanks!

@hansenelliott007
I am out of state (Florida) and I am not sure if my portal update before the letter came today. I checked the portal a week ago and I never got a status update in my email. I only checked the portal after I got the letter and saw it was updated as well. Sorry!

@AggieMomhelp Thank you! I agree about how beautiful and fun it is at UA, for sure. And I hope youā€™re an odds maker in Vegas! :slight_smile: A January decision from A&M would be a huge relief. Until then, lather, rinse, refresh!