TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@maddc716 I think TAMU would be crazy not to take you. Sounds like business is where you need to be! Hopefully you hear soon and Mays is still open.

What state do you live in?

@StacysMom24 I lived in citrus Heights and then in Auburn. Still have several of my closest friends in the area. Love the weather but you are right… values and mentality totally differenr here

@maddc716 If you are top 10%, why are you considering yourself a review applicant? If you were a top 10.0%, you would be an auto admit and be admitted by now, so your rank must be below 10.0%.

It is impossible to say what your chances are for Mays as a review applicant. This year is the first time since class 2020 was applying back in 2015, that we have seen review applicants admitted to Mays. The ones we have seen that have come this early is even a bigger surprise.

You are correct. Legacy no longer is taken into consideration. That ended in 2004.

@AggieMomhelp I know I cant change my application, but on there I did not put to be considered for the Blinn Engineering team. Would they still consider me (if they think I belong there) if I don’t get straight into TAMU’s engineering program?

@dyl3131 I didn’t even know that was on there to mark you were considering it. @thelma2 may be able to help with this one. I do not think it would matter though. A friend’s son, class of 2021 was top 2% but didn’t take the SAT seriously because he thought he was a slam dunk. He was offered Blinn Academy. Shook him a bit, but now that he’s full time Aggie a year later, he said it was the best thing ever. You could go to admissions page and do the online chat and ask that question though just to breathe easier!

@Thelma2 I am an out of state applicant

@aggiemomhelp & @thelma2 I am reading old posts from last year, and I am growing increasingly concerned that they won’t even look at my son’s resume that he uploaded (due to his snafu of hitting submit before completing his ECs and Volunteer work). Older posts are saying that because it’s “optional” it won’t even be reviewed. And I’m concerned that they will just pass him over when they see his blank answers on the app.Is it worth it to call admissions to find out if it will be looked at? :-SS @-)

@jaceyk I believe they will review everything that is sent in. HOWEVER, it does not hurt to call admissions and ask for clarification. Last year I spoke with a woman who had my sons actual file and she went over it on the phone. She didn’t give away anything really, but it was nice that she spoke to me.

@AggieMomhelp , on the Apply Texas app, there were two questions related to other pathways.

The first question was NON-major specific, and was specific to BlinnTEAM. The question stated:

“Texas A&M University receives more applications from high achieving, academically prepared applicants than we can accommodate in the freshman class. As a result, we have established a collaborative, co-enrollment partnership between Texas A&M and Blinn College. Each year, this program allows the admission of hundreds of academically prepared students into the Texas A&M freshman class than otherwise would have been possible due to enrollment limitations. Participating students are enrolled at Texas A&M and enjoy most of the privileges afforded a Texas A&M student. Visit BlinnTEAM for more information. This question is intended to gauge an applicant’s interest in BlinnTEAM. All applicants will be given maximum consideration for full admission prior to being considered for BlinnTEAM; however, selecting ‘no, I am not interested’ may negatively impact a student’s opportunity for admission to Blinn TEAM. Please indicate your interest below.”

The choices were:
yes, I am interested
no, I am not interested
not sure at this time

There was a second Engineering-specific question and was related to “Other Engineering Options”.

This question was: "Texas A&M University receives more applications from high achieving, academically prepared applicants who wish to pursue a degree in engineering than the College Station campus can accommodate. As a result, the College of Engineering has in place the Texas A&M University Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan. The Engineering Academy program allows students interested in receiving an engineering degree from Texas A&M to take specific engineering coursework at Blinn-Bryan as well as Texas A&M. In addition, new options exist at the Texas A&M University Galveston campus and the Higher Education Center at McAllen. Students pursuing engineering degrees selected to one of these options are fully admitted students to Texas A&M who begin their first year of engineering study in Galveston or McAllen. McAllen and Galveston students can become eligible to enter a major in McAllen, Galveston, or College Station in a future semester. This question is intended to gauge applicants’ interest in one of the above options. Be assured all applicants will be given maximum consideration for full admission prior to being considered for the Engineering Academy or Galveston or McAllen option. Please indicate your interest below. "

The choices were:

Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan only
Texas A&M Galveston option only
McAllen option only
All options
I am not interested in any alternate program
I am not sure of my interest at this time

As you recommended to @dyl3131 , it would be worthwhile to ask Admissions the question.

That’s great information. I don’t recall that when my son applied. Thanks @CamandCam

Yes @dyl3131 definitely call if he put not interested!

Hi I’m kind of new to this and I just want to try this out.

When did you apply: 9/19
When did you get UIN: 9/22
When did you receive admission decision: waiting
Are you Auto, academic, review: review
Major: Sports Management
GPA: 4.21/5 W 3.44/4 UW (31%)
SAT: 1330
ACT: none

I have done DECA for all four years, Marching Band for four years (I was section leader junior year) , NHS for one year, AVID Tutor, and have 240+ volunteer hours. I also received some academic awards and organization awards. I wrote a really nice essay and I also wrote the reason why my grades were low in freshmen and sophomore year in the additional comment section. My grades has been improving throughout my high school years. My teachers wrote me a nice LOR and I also submitted a separate resume. I am applying to Sports Management as my first major and International studies as my second major. I already applied to bunch of safe schools, but I would like to attended TAMU.
Thank you!

@AggieMomhelp @CamandCam Thank you guys! I emailed them and they said,
“Based on what has happened in previous years, it could still be offered to you but there is no guarantee that it will or will not.”
I am now much more open to the Blinn engineering, and wish I would’ve put that on my application. I really hope I can get straight into TAMU engineering , or the Blinn Academy!
I’ve been working on math for my ACT this Saturday, because I know that even with a 29 composite, the 26 on math was really low. I just hope it’s not too late to get it higher and for them to take that new score into consideration.

https://mays.tamu.edu/statistics/
useful info from 2016-17
avg sat for Mays is 1264
avg class rank 90
also shows placement and salaries

@DYL3131 I may have already mentioned the residual ACT at TAMU. have I? If not let me know and I’ll fill you in on what that means and see if that’s an option for you!

@min17gl0 Welcome to the wait team. This forum is full of great info and camaraderie! Your SAT is AWESOME and it will stand out. It’s great that you explained your class rank and how you have continued to improve each year. I think that says a lot! Your ECs look great as well. I really hope they review you with everything in mind. Keep us posted and don’t stress!

@dyl3131 , that’s good that you’re taking the ACT again. A lot of applicants don’t take a second swing at the tests. I commend you for that. It also demonstrates your seriousness. With your additional preparation, your math score will increase. Best wishes to you Saturday. You’ll do well! Keep us informed.

@dyl3131 Whether you checked the box or not for Blinn ENGR academy or not, you can still receive a Blinn ENGR Academy admission decision. They don’t exclude those from consideration into engineering program, who didn’t check the box. The way I heard an Admissions Officer explain it is that the major is looking for your math and physics readiness. Your math SAT/ACT scores are taken into account as well as the classes you have taken and will have complete upon graduation as well as extra curricular activities related to the engineering. They have algorithms, much like general admissions to the university, that help to graph where each applicant falls and that determines your admissions offer. Engineering at Galveston is considered a full admissions offer and is offered to applicants when the seats run out in College Station. That could be an admissions option for you. I do know an applicant who was offered first year engineering at Galveston that felt under prepared and she was able to accept an offer of Blinn Engineering Academy after she contacted A&M when she received the admissions offer.

There are auto top 10% and academic admits who are not admitted to engineering at College Station and those applicants are offered any other open major at A&M College Station, Blinn Engineering Academy or Engineering at Galveston.

Any Construction Science majors waiting or accepted? Im still waiting with no changes to AIS or Howdy yet. I applied mid july and went under review late august. Please let me know!

@AggieMomhelp So I called, and she suggested submitting ANOTHER document with an activity list showing the number of hours volunteered? Do other kids really list the number of hours on their apps too? I didn’t see a section on that. Seems like the resume would have been enough since it lists extracurriculars and volunteer experience (not hours).

the application has a place for # of hours spent on the activity/service/job/etc - maybe per week?

Hi, I am new here but I just wanted to mention that someone here said that if your high school does not rank then TAMU blankets the student in the top 25%. I don’t think that is correct, because my daughter’s school does not rank and TAMU put her in the second 25% (which may have been a little generous)
She applied in July and was accepted to Mays about a week or two ago. Her weighted GPA is about 3.5. ACT 32
This forum has been very interesting and helpful. Thank you!

@momofgrownups That was me. Sorry for the confusion. I was meaning in their situation if they ranked him top 25% so there it’s a blanket 25 not 15 or 10 etc based on gpa. I see how I totally confused people with that. Oopsie.