TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Applied 9/29
UIN 10/5
Review admit
Major Biomed engineering/biochem secondary (if not admitted to engineering)
Class rank 28/226 (10.7%)
SAT 1300 (Math 670 EBRW 630

Thoughts on app strength? Any review admits gone out yet and do they go out in stages/waves (read somewhere maybe Nov 15th first offers)?

@AggieMomhelp ā€“ I have been following the course guide for Mays and talked to several A&M recruiters and they all say, ā€œFreshman admission is for students who are applying while still enrolled in a high school, regardless of accumulated dual credit hours. Number of hours does not impact oneā€™s status as a freshman or transfer student. To Texas A&M, a transfer student is a student who has graduated from a high school or earned a GED and is enrolled solely at a post-secondary institution.ā€

Iā€™m not auto admit because their SAT Sub Scores are: SAT: Total score of 1360 with at least 620 Math and 660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW)

My SAT (with Sub Scores): 1440 (640 Reading/Writing; 800 Mathematics)

I have had friends accepted to Mays already with lower scores than mine both in their auto admit and review admit process. A&M is the only school I have applied to with sub scores which seem to work to my disadvantage.

@AggieMomhelp
Along with the sports stuff mentioned before
I forgot he will be getting his judging license, but that wonā€™t be until December
He did not submit any lor as they werenā€™t required

@texasstrong I totally get the status of you being a freshman, I just wanted to point out that coming in with 62
hours AND if you donā€™t get the desired major, may make it difficult to change majors once at TAMU because there are restrictions for some degrees. Iā€™ve seen thresholds as low as 60 and as high as 90. Just wanted you to be aware. With AP, students can add as they like, but with Dual you have to take em all right away.

And that stinks about SAT. I would think you will be getting full admit soon. That score is great and perfect on math? WTH, outstanding.

@Drmcswag In the past few years, the review admit decisions have come in waves. 1 in Nov, 1 in Dec, 1 in Jan. (maybe 2ā€¦ canā€™t remember) and then February there are several (Full,Blinn Team/PSA etc)

Donā€™t set your heart on the 15th. You just never know. Last year it was the Monday before Thanksgiving and then again on Dec. 15th and then the breakā€¦ long wait there.

@schelle Correct, LOR not required, just with review admits, always best to provide as much as possible to strengthen the app.

I wrote to A&M regarding my qualification for academic admit. They reconfirmed that:

SAT: Total score of 1360 with at least 620 Math and 660 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW)

But they also said, ā€œYou do not meet the minimum required SAT score to qualify for automatic admissionā€

I am confused.

@Thelma2 , @AggieMomhelp - Am I missing something? My score is 1430 (EBRW 670, Math 760).

@AggieHope123 Iā€™m confused too. I just contacted admissions to verify international students can qualify for academic admit. You should call them again and ask to speak with an advisor not just the person who answers. Have someone pull your file. Donā€™t be afraid to advocate for yourself (in a respectful manner).

@AggieHope123 Did you check in AIS to make sure they have your score as received? Might be a silly question but maybe they donā€™t have that score in their system.

Appreciate your prompt response @AggieMomhelp. Thanks for confirming about international students. Although I am US citizen and applied as OOS domestic candidate. But my school is in foreign country, so I understand they may club me with international students.

I wrote to them again. Let me wait for their response and then call.

@AggieDreamin, yes the score shows correctly in AIS. Itā€™s always good to double check. :slight_smile:

@AggieHope123 Yeah I meant international student as in student graduating out of country, not citizenship. My niece was the same. Sheā€™s now a senior in the Corps. Grew up in Thailand as a mission kid. So same situation. I believe the experience you have living in a foreign country adds to our campus and brings a different perspective than letā€™s say my kids who have grown up here in Aggieland. lolā€¦ huge difference. AND I think TAMU will find that compelling even if you werenā€™t an academic admit (which you ARE!!!). Please keep us posted.

Applied: 9/15
UIN: 9/18
Decision: N/A
Review Admit
ACT: 28 (English 28, math 23, reading 34, science 27)
Class rank: 84/581
Gpa: 3.72
Major of choice: community health
Just wondering about my application strength. Iā€™m nervous, because this is my first choice and I really want to get in.

I applied with a community health major, so I can apply to the nursing school later on

@smil29 Those were pretty much my sons stats last year for Econ. He got full admit. Had a strong LOR from someone high up at TAMU, and great ECs/essay, but the rank and act score are spot on. His gpa was a 4.02 though (but they look at rank not gpa). So yes, hope for sure!

Sorry forgot gpa see above
4.2 GPA

@thelma2 @AggieMomhelp My D received her admit on 10/11 to Communications. Didnā€™t want you to think the only early review admits were for Mays and Engineering.This website helped so much through the process with my son (now a junior Aggie), and now my senior d.

Review Admit accepted 10/11
Rank 125/686
ACT 28 (35 English, 25 math, 26 reading, 25 science
Great LOR
Lots of community service, national level athlete, student government

Hope this helps

@4mykids! You are the first to let the forum know about other majors. Thank you so much and congrats! Hope she loves it here!

THANK YOU @4mykids That is really helpful. The only down side, is it makes this year a total crap shoot and all trends out the window. They really do like to keep things interesting!! 8-}

This is the earliest review applicants have been admitted in the past three admission cycles.

I completely agree! This year is trendsetting. My son was engineering review 3 years ago, and we didnā€™t hear until February/March? He was offered TEAB and is now a full admit. It will be interesting to watch this unfold. Best wishes to all!

When did you apply: 9/24
When did you get your UIN: 9/26, but didnā€™t act on it until 10/8 or later (after a bunch of follow up emails and a call), also didnā€™t submit a transcript for quite a while-- 11/2, probably
When did you receive your admission decision: 11/7
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto
Major/College of Choice: Computer Science / Engineering
Class Rank: Top 3%
SAT (with Sub Scores): 1450 (790M/660V)

My daughter really drug her feet on getting everything in, but the admissions email came very soon after she submitted her transcript. Sheā€™s only applied to TAMU, UT, and Austin College and this was her first letter. :slight_smile:

Thelma2, itā€™s been a few years. Good to see all is well with your Aggie. My LHS is doing well in his 3rd year at UT. Iā€™ve been wondering whatever happened to our Intā€™l friend, back in '15-'16, looking for a free ride at any school that would take him?!?!

Well, now itā€™s time for my DD to put me through this wild ride. I donā€™t think she has a chance at UT. Iā€™d be ecstatic if she did, but I would be equally happy for her to become an Aggie as well. Great school and a awesome college experience.

So here we go:

When did you apply: 10/29
When did you get your UIN: 10/30
When did you receive your admission decision: NA
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Psychology
Class Rank: Non Ranking - TBD by TAMU
UW GPA: 3.76
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1240 (EBRW 620, Math 600) waiting Nov 3rd results
ACT (with Sub Scores) 26
ECs: 4 years HS Soccer including JV Captain, and a State Varsity Championship. 9 Years Club Soccer at a high level. 140+ hours of Church, child development involvement.

So glad sheā€™s not vying for Mays or Engineering. COLA was easier to get into at UT, not sure if thatā€™s the case here at A&M.

Well Iā€™m all caught up reading 55 pages of the thread. Iā€™ll be waiting, watching, reading and sweating with the rest of you. I have a feeling she wonā€™t hear back well into next year. Good luck to everyone!!