TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@andyybuii @laxmom2000 is correct. There will most likely be a “wave” mid December. Last year there was one in nov and then dec. This year the first review admits found out in October. In January there will be at least one wave of full admits and then maybe a smaller wave after that. Then blinn team and gateway comes out then PSA. I do believe some full admits were notified after blinn team came out last year but i could be wrong in that.

@AndyyBuii
@laxmom2000 is correct. Review admits typically hear after Dec 1.and then, it is a small number of admits. Most will not receive a decision until January and later.
Class 2019 review applicants first received decisions on Dec 16. (I am looking up 2020) 2021 review admits first heard on Dec 2 and then a small release in January and then mid February for full admission.
This admission cycle has been a little different and unusual from years past, in that a small number of review admits received a decision earlier in mid Oct (around the 13th) whereas the last year’s cycle there was a release on Nov 11 and Dec 15. Again, these are not large releases.

Though some review applicants receive a decision before the deadline in the past two cycles, most review applicants will receive a decision after the deadline and often, after the new year-for full admission to the university, Blinn Team, Gateway and PSA. Each year has been different as to when releases come and if it is a mixture of decisions or for just one kind of admissions (full, or Blinn Team, or Gateway, or Galveston for Engr applicants, etc).

For engineering applicants, it is not unheard of for most review applicants to the university to be deferred until after December 1 and often in January and February, even though they applied by the early decision deadline. That goes for auto/academic admits too. In the past two years, we have seen applicants deferred to January, even though they applied by the early decision deadline.

A&M and Admissions closes Dec. 24, 2018-Jan. 1, 2019 and no decisions will be released during this time.

Since we are in a holding pattern for review admits - I was piddling around in dars today. I want to make sure I am reading the C10 area correctly @Thelma2 . So 12% of the students who enrolled 2017-2018 were not in the top quarter of their high school class. But this only includes the 81% of students that come from ranking high schools (not the students that are from non-ranking schools that A&M assigns a rank). And it looks like compared to 1999 - the number of ranking schools has decreased - from 95% to 81%.

But looking at 1st time freshmen, full time, first year applied/admitted - the percentage has not changed as much as I thought. Since we all feel like it is so much harder to get into A&M now.

If my numbers are correct from the dars
2017-2018
37,191 applied and 26,064 were admitted 70.08%
1999-2000
14,447 applied and 10,745 were admitted 74.38%

So it is 4.3% harder to get into A&M as a first time, first year, full time freshman student last year than in 1999? I was expecting that percentage to be higher.

@Thelma2 hearing before christmas would be a wonderful christmas miracle. also knowing that admissions takes a break for the holidays will allow us some down time on clicking refresh. good luck to everyone anxiously waiting for good news.

Monday 24 - Tuesday 01, TAMU Faculty and Staff Holiday…In case you were wondering, because I already looked it up…Haha :wink:

I could use a break from looking all the time. I know my daughter probably won’t hear until next year but I just can’t help myself :))

@BlueBayouAZ
I LOVE reading the DARS too! There are so many different links to explore. and there is this http://web-as.tamu.edu/ecardimages/2017/CounselorConnection/updateSPRING.html while not the official numbers, it gives a little more detail and obviously, rounded numbers on the whole, as to number of applications, etc.

The reason it is seems to be so much more difficult, in my opinion, for review admits, is that they try to keep their incoming freshman class to a certain number, 10K or less. Once they know how many offers of admission they have to make to Top 10% auto admits and Academic admits, that tells them how many offers they can make to review applicants.
They have some formula for offering X number of admission decisions and gauging how many will accept. Class 2021 I believe, went over the estimate and thus, 2022 was less offers.

I had to do a little rough math to adjust the dars info with that in the link
From the link:

Total applicants : 42,000
Top 10% admits: 11,205 applied and offered admissions
5639 top 10% enrolled (from DARS)
Academic admits: 4300 applied and offered admission
(No number to enrollment of academic admits)
Review Applications: 27,000
Holistic review admits: 3800 offered admission

Blinn Team: 2400 offered admissions
Blinn Engineering: 855 offered admission
McAllen Engineering: 1200 offered admission
Galveston Engineering: 1200 offered admission
Gateway: 530 offered admission
PSA: 10,600
Denial: 7000

Taking Dars of 37,191 applied and 26,064 admitted, we know 11,205 were top ten auto admits and 4300 were academic admits (may be a rough number but +/-) that is 15,505 admitted. Subtract that from 26,064 admitted and it leaves 10,559 admits, which were likely review applicants-Of these 10,559 review applicants who were admitted, That includes all types of admission decisions listed and from the link, we know that 3800 were offered full admissions from the 27,000 review applications (+/-) received. So, it would seem that of the total review applications, 27,000 is 14%. That is not a high % for review applicants. The 70% acceptance rate takes into consideration all the types of admission offers, not just full admissions to College Station.Those listed above are included in that number.

This thread is probably the most viewed (going back 5 pages of Latest Posts) for a specific college and specific graduating class! LOL! With 116.8k views, it leads most others (only looking at college specific threads). I think we are an obsessive, click happy group! :)) :smiley:

The only thing I would look at differently in your DARS/Councilors corner analysis @Thelma2 is I would take out the denials from consideration. I’ve mentioned this before - but the prospective student center indicated that the denials were mainly incomplete or late applications. So I don’t look at those as really having gone through a competitive holistic review. Meaning that application is not being evaluated and considered, it’s just being rejected. So that puts the total review applications from 2017 at about 19% and I think the numbers I got for 2018 were 21%.

In not so many words - they indicated that as long as you complete the application and required documents on time and have taken and passed the required high school classes - you would at minimum get PSA. It was like they were saying - don’t look at the denials and worry.

@bluebayouaz that gives me a lot of hope - my son has all green check marks, ranks 13%, and a 29.25 act in one sitting, good ECs and a good LOR (that points out stuff that they wouldn’t otherwise see from a paper standpoint). Oh please please please let it be in the 12/15 wave. [-O<

@BlueBayouAZ My daughter put “no” to considering PSA so it is possible that she could be outright denied. I sure hope not but wanted to point out that there are some that may have opted out of that Pathway.

@AggieDreamin - I just checked out my daughter’s application in apply Texas. I do not see a PSA question. There is a BlinnTEAM and Corps - but I don’t see PSA.

Your son better get in @JaceyK - because my daughter’s stats are a little lower than your sons and if he doesn’t get in there is no hope for her!

@BlueBayouAZ It took some digging but it was a Biomedical Science specific question…"Biomedical Science majors may take classes on the College Station campus or at the Higher Education Center in McAllen. Please indicate your preferred location. "
So I suppose she didn’t explicitly say “no” to the question as I thought but just stated a preference for College Station.

McAllen is not PSA. It’s a separate campus like Galveston. I don’t believe there’s any where on apply Texas to notate if interested in PSA. PSA in the simplest form is a denial but with a promise of acceptance if they meet certain requirements and their major allows PSA transfer.

@AggieMomhelp thank you for the clarification. We didn’t realize.

the Health and Science Center in Mc Allen can be applied to directly and is also an admission decision that can happen for any allied health/public health/BIMS applicant applying to College Station. Those applying to A&M College Station will likely check the college station box but it is up to the university where they are admitted. We saw that last year for the first time and it was a surprise to many.

While there is a box to check a box if an applicant is interested in Blinn Team, even if they check no, they are considered anyway and checking “no” on the box will not eliminate an applicant being offered it.

Curious if early applicants that are going to be under holistic review - will get reviewed and decisions sent before holistic applicants who apply by Dec 1 - any insight???

Curious if you know what happens to kids who have a 1340 SAT score so not academic admit but the individual Math and R/W scores are higher then the required for academic admit???

If you score a 1340 and top quarter then you have a high probability of full admission (engineering is a different story since many variables).

As far as who finds out when for holistic review, I honestly don’t know if being a July 1st applicant versus nov applicant makes a difference on timing. I’ve seen no rhyme or reason in prior years with all things being equal (ish).