TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

FYI - I just saw on @aggiebound twitter feed that the deadline is actually 12/3/2018 @ 11:59 PM due to 12/1 falling on a Saturday.

And Sunday at 1am - Apply Texas is going down for maintenance. Apparently for just a couple of hours.

Does anyone know if the admits for the Mays Business Honors Program have been notified? I was notified about admission to Mays 15 days ago but I haven’t heard if I’ve gotten into BHP yet.

Is there an opportunity aside from the essay for students under holistic review to share with the admissions folks (after application has been submitted) reviewing aps about overcoming a poor first year GPA due to hospitalization and anxiety issues
I encouraged her to let them know so they could see the amazing strides and progress she overcame from 9th to 12th grade but she didn’t want to share that much personal info and was embarrassed to share anything about her struggles -

Remember the essay is an advert to sell yourself. Focusing on anxiety issues may well have a negative effect. Medical issues affecting grading should be explained by her GC. Your DD’s intuition is correct IMO. Uni is stressful for all students, you don’t need to give a competitive program a reason to think that stress won’t be well dealt with.

@AggieMomhelp I have a quick question. I’m an auto-admit and I applied for Mays Business School on 11/17. Do I have a chance of getting in, or is Mays completely full? thanks

@stlrab84 you haven’t been admitted yet? Is everything checked off on AIS. Typically autos or academics get acceptance info quickly after applying. Like within days of everything being processed. I heard Mays is already full from several people but I don’t know for sure. In years past it’s always full by now but if they had your app and just haven’t notified you yet, then maybe you’ll get Mays. Please keep us posted. You should hear something this week.

@stlrab84 @AggieMomhelp is correct. You submitted application on a Saturday but were all of your required documents in as well by that time? The university must have your transcript and scores as well sent in on time. Once you are complete and in review, your “admission decision” will begin to be calculated. Til then, your application file isn’t complete. For auto/academic admits, once their file is complete and in review, it is usually only a few days to get your admission decision.

Good Morning, I was so happy to find this website a couple weeks ago and have been reading and learning so much from all the great Q & A’s. I wish my son and I would have found this sooner to have followed some of the great tips offered here. I was hoping to get feedback on what you thought my son’s chances are.

Applied: Oct.1
Received UIN: Oct.3
Admission decision: In review
Major: 1st Agri Business
Class Rank 166/1003 16% at an IB school for the district (although he’s not in IB)
SAT: 1240 640 Math 600-EBRW
ACT: 25 (Eng.22, Math 28, Read 22,Sci 26 STEM 27)
GPA: 3.619 unweighted 4.711 weighted

EC’s- NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, Baseball team 4 years, lettered pitcher sophomore year, voted MVP by teammates Junior year, Also on travel baseball team throughout high school. Many volunteer hours through youth group at church and also a team leader for Faith Formation group this year. Meals on wheels driver throughout high school on break and in the summer, lots of hours with demo work helping in the community for Hurricane Harvey relief. He participates in super star buddy ball weekly (during their season)for special needs kids that have their own baseball league. He has had the same job as a graphic designer part time during school, full time all summer since his freshman year,
will graduate with 24 DC hours, AP Physics, AP Calculus. Voted Senior class most friendly by his student body.
He attended Spend the Night with the Corps, had a college visit day with a tour of campus, dorms etc.
He has 2 LOR’s both Aggies, one very strong and a strong essay (or so we think :wink:

I realize now that taking the SAT again would have been a must but now our time is up. Also, I know it’s been stated that being in a competitive school doesn’t matter because you are judged against your peers
but, I wondered if there is any consideration given to IB schools because we have ALL FIVE high schools IB students at our high school and their GPA’s stay with us and don’t go back to their home school, just curious. Has always been a discussion around here that caused frustration but you don’t fully understand it until your kid is a senior!!

Thank you for your input (btw, we are Texas residents)

@SMcC07 Your son has a great chance with the only thing that could slightly hinder him is SAT/ACT score being below average for TAMU even though they are both decent scores and many a student has earned full admit status with those scores or even lower. This year has been strange in that we had an early round of review admits get notified in mid October, but nothing since. Most of those, at least on this site, were admitted into Mays. I would expect another round to come before the holiday break for sure.

And sadly, it doesn’t appear they give any special weight to IB schools. Their rationale is every student has access to the same opportunities and thus you are judged among your peers. His ECs, LOR and dedication of 4 years to several clubs/sports, etc., will bode well for him. He seems like a very well rounded student and should do fantastic things at TAMU. Bets of luck and please keep us posted!

I want to know if they’ve already made decision on the BHP at Mays. I’m picking up that some have already heard, but I called TAMU, and they said I’d know in Jan. Has anyone speficially gotten Mays Business Honors Program yet? Thanks.

Hi everyone,

My daughter is getting nervous since some classmates are finding out and I’d like to hear thoughts on her odds:

Major: Biology (Premed)
Rank 63/515
SAT: 1230
GPA 3.75 UW / 5.02 W
EC: NHS, Band 4 years (they’re a top band in the state if that matters - placed as high as 6th in state), softball 1 year (travel ball through high school), HOSA, a couple of other activities, about 24 PAP / AP classes (pretty much every PAP option).

Thanks for input.

@AggieMomhelp thank you for your input. We haven’t heard any friends outside of Automatic admits getting acceptance letters yet. Trying not stress about it (easier said than done) but we’ll update when we hear something

@DadinFrisco you’re daughter sounds amazing. Sat scores kinda low average for Tamu but rank is great. ECs are great. Any LoRs? Essay compelling? I think she has a good chance with rank and ECs, but could be Blinn Team or gateway. Both of those are great as well. Please keep us posted.

Major: Biology (Premed)
Rank 100/831
SAT: 1380
Math: 750
Reading: 630
GPA 3.78 UW / 4.01 W
EC: HOSA, DECA, MSA 55 hours of volunteering and have held a job since about the end of junior year. 2 AP’s both 4’s on AP exams and 4 Preap Classes(6 in total not including this year).

I just applied and would like to know my chances. My parents are pushing hard for me to go there as my brother also attends A&M cstat.

@ollie23 You should receive full admission

I got pretty excited today to see that A&M ranked my DD in the 1st Quartile, from her unranking school. Our counselor stated she wouldn’t be able to submit 1st Qtr ranking to A&M, but A&M evidently ranked her themselves. She has a chance now.

Major Health (Allied Health)
Rank 1st quarter
ACT 28
GPA 3.7 UW / 4.0 W
EC: Volunteering at Camp Blessing, 6 AP classes not including this year.

My other daughter had all the same stats, (but with a 29 ACT), and got in as a nutrition major last year. Hoping for the best.

When did you apply:9/18
When did you get your UIN:9/19
When did you receive your admission decision:N/A In review
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit:
Major/College of Choice: Chemistry (PharmD)
Class Rank: 218/893 (top 25%)
GPA 3.9574 unweighted 4.6290 weighted
SAT (with Sub Scores) 1200 Math 630 Reading 570
ACT (with Sub Scores) N/A

EC: NHS, student council, math honor society, science honor society, camp blessing counselor, young life leader, 4 years drill team, drill team social officer, 2 letters of recommendation

Thank you for taking a look.

@flomodad I really think the sat score is going to hurt her. ECs look good! Curious though, I didn’t think you could be a YL leader until in college? At least that is how it’s done here. If she does end up coming here, I can hook her up with the YL director in the Brazos Valley. They serve 13 different schools in the area. Great program and so many leaders it’s an instant family for a lot of these kids.