TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Eggscapgoats yes, we signed up for space in dorm this afternoon for NSC. Was just wondering if there is some reason why it would be better to stay in a hotel.

@1st time Aggie Others commented that the dorm beds are not as soft as hotel beds. Also, the hotel had more options (room fridge, microwave, coffee maker
). Gosh, I wonder if there will be coffee close to the dorm :o Oh well, my son hopes to stay in one of these modular dorms freshman year, so we are looking forward to checking it out (closet size, desk size, etc)

@thelma2 To answer your question. My son is class of 2020 engineering and he had to put engineering as first and second choice on his application. It also had a warning to do so on apply texas. My dd applicant this year is not engineering, so I’m not sure if this is still the case.

Modulars are pretty big and private bathroom and very close to MsC if on south side so yes this is a great option. Totally personal preference.

When we were at NSC, and it was some time ago, we did a hybrid session June 20/July 1. Hybrid only means it is for incoming freshmen and transfers but they do everything seperate. Just killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Son stayed in McFadden, a modular. You have to bring all your own linens. Towels, sheets, pillow. I stayed in hotel. I didn’t want to stay in the dorms with the college kids and you will want (or your student will) a gel foam mattress topper when they go to school. Think heavy plastic covered mattress so it won’t absorb anything any college kid could manage to
well that’s probably far enough.

ALWAYS to to the pre conference day the day before your NSC. Just do it. TONS of great stuff and SO many photo opportunities. Go to the Alumni Center for MORE fun. Pick up your student ID ahead of time, etc.

About the hotel. It just would have been tons easier if we have stayed in the same place. If parents are staying at the dorm too, that works. It just was a huge headache. It starts early. I just remember the last day, I was picking up McDonald’s breakfast and finding parking while he was trying to pack up all the linens we had to take, turn in the dorm key, and be at X building by 730am. Would have been SO much easier if we stayed at the same place without all the extra stuff.

@Eggscapgoats COFFEE! THIS. THIS is why you stay at the hotel LOL. I bring my own fixin’s. The parking lot where we had to park by Hullabaloo has a Starbucks if you need a pick me up and there is more at the MSC. Yes, if it is McFadden again, it is close to Sabisa and Starbucks. Not a stone’s throw but close. Not house shoe walking distance I am sorry to say.

When daughter decided on her NSC date, we booked a room at the new Texas A&M hotel, right across from Kyle Field. Got a pretty decent rate since we book really early. At least this way, we won’t have to drive in every morning and look for parking. We’ll just leave the car in whatever lot is included with the parking pass. Daughter will stay in a dorm though. Just hubby and I at the hotel.

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp I actually called the admission office and talked to a counselor. Both 1/2 choices do not have to be engineering as is the case with my daughter. Counselor stated if engineering is selected as on of your major choices this places candidate in holistic review. Then they are offered full admit or another engineering pathway or you can select a generic direct a&m admit to the main campus and pick any open major if you don’t want to take engineering pathway off of the main campus.

@thelma Thank-you! So Sbisa dining hall was open, even for meals outside the conference? We will be staying in one of the commons dorms so hoping the dining hall there will be open for breakfast. Yep, I will be bringing some instant coffee for first thing in the morning!!

The new hotel is amazing. Great bar. Beautiful view. Well decorated. Totally convenient. That is the way to go. And yes there’s coffee.

@AggieMomhelp For future reference, what is the name of the new hotel? I have been staying at Calvary however, always good to have nice options. :slight_smile:

@AggieDreamin I believe its Texas A&M Hotel and Conference Center, 177 Joe Routt Blvd. Looks really nice and super close!

@AggieDreamin is it bad that I only own the name of the bar? Block T.

But what @Eggscapgoats said sounds right. You’ll love it.

@AggieMomhelp Sounds totally reasonable to only know the name of the bar :wink:

Hope someone can help me here, Got a mailer from TAMU to fill out the FAFSA for and they also indicated that some colleges won’t even give merit aid if you don’t fill this out. Is it true of TAMU too? Should we be filling in FAFSA even for merit aid here? Please help. Thank you

@embeechristmas. I contacted the TAMU Financial Aid office and they told me that a completed FAFSA is not required to receive merit scholarships.

Does TAMU research the parents in addition to the student during a holistic review? I was just wondering because someone anonymous from TAMU viewed my LinkedIn Profile. Not really a big deal but I was surprised to see this. I can’t think of any other reason someone from there would be viewing it. Could this mean she is at least in the review process now?

The waiting is agony. Any thoughts on DS’s chances?

When did you apply: 11/08
When did you get your UIN: 11/10
When did you receive your admission decision:NA
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Applied Mathematical Science/Actuarial Science
Class Rank: 187/557 (Super competitive HS)
GPA: 3.6 unweighted
SAT: 1370 (680 Reading/690 Math)
ACT: 31
7 AP Classes
2 Dual Credit Classes
Almost all other HS classes were Pre/AP other than electives or where Pre/AP was not available

EC: Varsity/Select/Travel Sports for 4 years. During 8 month season intense training, practice and/or games 5-7 days per week. Assistant captain of varsity team. At times on 3 teams simultaneously. During off season - summer league, clinics, camps and training. Huge time commitment. Leads teen church band. Plays guitar in teen church band. Other volunteering.

He has been accepted and gotten some great scholarships from several other schools but his first choice is A&M.

Thank you

I’m not sure if finding this page today alleviated some anxiety or ramped it up. My son applied on 8/22, he is in holistic review. He is top 25% with a 1260 SAT. A full list of EC’s and community service as well as part-time jobs in the summer. He applied with Biochemistry as his first major choice in the school of Ag and LIfe Science with the intent of pursuing a Physical Therapy program after graduation. BUT he is currently enrolled in AP BIo and has found a passion that looks like Biomedical Engineering. UGH! First, he hasn’t been admitted yet to A&M but if he is will he even be able to change his major to engineering? Reading everything about this school makes it look like changing courses is definitely not guaranteed. He really likes A&M but I am worried if he gets in he will be siloed into a career he may not want due to class size restrictions. I wonder what his chances are of admittance and when they will let the review people know so choices can be made in school direction?

Oh Wow @AggieDreamin that’s a little creepy. For review, they only review what is given to the school by the applicant via required and optional documents. How does that work that they can be anonymous without a name but have a TAMU profile? I am not on LinkedIn, so not sure how it works.

@AggieDreamin You should be able to tell if they searched specifically for you or if your name came up in a search they were doing. Also there might be levels of connections that they found you thru - what was their job title?