TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@soooo01
It means that A&M has all required documents in order to review you application file and determine if they will make you an admissions offer or not.

Here are my stats:

act:22
sat:1050
gpa:3.55

i know these arenā€™t great scores but I had a family member in the hospital during the time I took my tests. I submitted a essay stating how that tragic situation led to my scores being so bad?

Can you chance me of getting in? I really want to the Gateway program but Iā€™m not sure if iā€™ll get it.

@soooo01 Iā€™m sorry that you went through something tragic but itā€™s good that you talked about it in your essay. I honestly donā€™t think your rank and scores are going to get you where you want to be right now. But thatā€™s not to say you wonā€™t end up where you want to end up.

Whatā€™s your plan B? Going straight Blinn is a great option. You can get here and kick some butt and apply as transfer as soon as you have 24 graded credits (meaning AP donā€™t count). Look up requirements for your intended major and plan accordingly.

Best of luck and please keep us posted!

@soooo01
While Gateway to Success could be an option, it is impossible to predict who will be offered that admissions decision because only admissions can review your whole application file and compare it to all other applicants.

What I have seen over the past two admission cycles, is that applicants with your stats are typically offered PSA (Pathway to System Admissions). Do have a backup plan for school, for both admission and ability to pay. Start looking into that now, and talking with your folks/guardian. Donā€™t wait until May or summer to figure it all out, no matter where you decide to attend.

The PSA was designed for students who are interested in a participating major. TAMU never recommends using the PSA to be admitted to TAMU with the intention of switching to the major you really want.

If being an Aggie is where your heart is, there are other pathways to College Station. Here is info on PSA. Explore the links for complete info and answers to some FAQā€™s.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA TAMU Eligibility, requirements, participating schools and majors
http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-pubs/PSA-brochure.pdf checklist and map of school locations.

What if the System Institution doesnā€™t have my intended major?
The major choice at the System Institution does not matter. All that matters is that the System Institution will allow you to take the courses you need for your intended PSA major at TAMU.

Can I start taking courses at the System Institution during the summer?
Yes, as long as you get everything set up with your System Institution. However, the PSA requires students to complete two long semesters at the System Institution to be eligible for automatic admission. Taking summer courses is also very important if you will need to complete any prerequisite courses (i.e., Math). Contact the Office of Admission at the PSA school you select if you plan to start during the summer.

Below are the PSA Participating Schools and direct weblinks to their PSA Page.
Prairie View A&M
Tarleton State
https://www.tarleton.edu/admissions/undergrads/psa.html
TAMU International
TAMU Commerce
TAMU Corpus Christi
http://admissions.tamucc.edu/program_for_system_admission.html
TAMU Kingsville
http://www.tamuk.edu/admission/acceptedstudents/PSA.html
TAMU Texarkana
West Texas A&M
http://www.wtamu.edu/advising/advising-program-for-system-admission.aspx

Another program you might consider is PTA (Program forTransfer Admission). http://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA It requires a participation form upon applying and completion. If you wanted to be close to Aggieland, many students attend Blinn Community College in Bryan. Or you can attend the CC of your choice.
There are many majors that participate in the program and are listed on the PTA web link

@AggieMomhelp do Dual Credit classes from HS count in 24 hours for transfer? Also, will AP count once you transfer or are they lost credits? Almost seems that Blinn transfer might be the most clean path to TAMU.

@AggieMomhelp also do they have to be fully complete credits or in process with GPA requirement? My daughter has a friend that is supposedly transferring to A&M from SFA after one semester but I canā€™t seem to understand how that is possible since the semester isnā€™t over yet.

@Thelma2 Oklahoma Stateā€¦which gives pretty good scholarships to make it basically in state tuition.He considered OSU and Texas Techā€¦ He loves being a Cowboy.

So are we totally silent on the 6 tabs front today? :frowning:

Anybody know how important sub-scores are? With your tracking @Thelma2 - do you see any insight that can be gained beyond just the composite?

My stats:
Class rank: 30%
GPA unweighted: 3.6
GPA weighted: 4.2
SAT: 1380 (710 math)

Do I have any chance for full admission with my class rank being so low??

Does the BACTERIAL MENINGITIS VACCINATION include the Meningitis B vaccine (the newest one on market) or is it just the 2 meningitis shots that kids get at 11 and 16? Also, it says for kids entering Fall 2019, the shot must be received on or after 8/26/14. My daughter would have had her first one in 2012 but the second one in 2017. Iā€™m assuming that is okay?

@AggieDreamin is she an engineering tranfer? I just read a post on one of the other A&M threads about a SFA freshman hoping to transfer in with 16 hours. They have 16 hours and trying to transfer to A&M (Engineering-Computer Science).

@houstonheat No, she is not engineering but not sure what she is majoring in exactly.

@TXRunningMom Donā€™t know if this helps, but Tamu approved my sons vaccine schedule, and he had MCV4 in June2017 and in Aug2012. By the way, it took a LONG time for it to be approved.

@aggiehope22 Our family LOVES OSU. My dad played football back in the 50ā€™s for them. My mom graduated Oklahoma A&M and dad Oklahoma State 3 months later, as he had to finish geology field camp before graduation and the name change came right after the Spring semester graduation. My middle child was an OSU Cowboy and we went to Americanā€™s Greatest Homecoming and DD spent many hours pomping. I always recommend OSU if a student loves the Spirit of Aggieland but prefers a smaller size school. Go Pokes!

My daughter went to OSU her freshman year. I LOVED it. @thelma2 Pompingā€¦ OMG the hours they put into that. So cool though. Love their hoco.

@AggieDreamin DC definitely counts as graded hours. AP is not lost credit, but you have to accept them once you are at TAMU. Best to work with advisor on credits to accept or not. Depends on major and whether itā€™s in your best interest to retake a class. And I Have heard of students applying before their credits are complete and admissions/dept. defers them til grades are final. Not sure if thatā€™s still the case. To me, it reads they have to be complete when they apply. I would call admissions to double check.

@Thelma2 My husband went to OSU ā€¦I had my first homecoming experience this yearā€¦it was so cool.

@AggieDreamin It really depends on the major, when it comes to coursework complete for transfer admission or in progress. It also depends on the major with what courses the applicant has credit for. Anyone can apply to transfer but the specific major may require a specific number of graded hours to apply and it is important to follow exactly what the Transfer Course Sheet for a specific major requires. My son had a friend who was taking courses at community college and applied to transfer after his first semester and while his second semester was in progress. He received a notice to submit Spring grades. He did and he was accepted as a History major. History requires 24 minimum graded hours, so in this case, they took his first semester and waited on grades of the second.

@BlueBayouAZ The only time I have heard of sub scores mattering is for engineering. I have heard with UT, and all majors undergoing holistic review, sub scores can matter, but as for A&M, I just donā€™t know. That is one of the details the man behind the curtain wonā€™t be specific on. I would like to think they may use both in all of their algorithms.

hey im pretty sure a 31 ACT is automatic admission, not sure if someone has told you or if you know already, but a 31 is automatic admission into Texas A&M at College Station

@astros41 As long as the subscore for math and reading are a 27 AND the applicant is in the top quarter of their graduating class or they are assigned first quarter by TAMU, if their high school does not rank, then yes, a 30+ ACT score is auto admit. Either subscore lower than 27 or they are not in the top quarter, then there is no auto admission.

I have seen several comments about majors changing in AIS? Does this mean that kids are going into TAMU without getting the major they want? Is that possible? Will they be able to transfer to their major after a year?