TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@23hopefulmom55608 her rank is great but that act is low. Not saying she won’t get in, but if she does it will probably be in the February round and could possibly be alternative pathway. Did she only take act once? Will really depend how they weigh her other half of application.

@Sumeetk27 yay!!! Formal congrats now. I thought howdy would update first… sorry about that. I guess it’s tabs, AIS, Howdy, letter in mail.

@aponiventoy 2.48 and they were accepted? Tamu may rank the school pretty high. I’ve never seen anyone post with that low of gpa and getting full admit. 2nd quarter decreases her chances. Her sat is pretty average. But again, they may give nod since no one from your school has ever gone to Tamu. Fingers crossed!!!

I applied in the beginning of October but I still haven’t heard ANYTHING at all and all of this is KILLING. ME. I’m shooting for mays BUSINESS with a 1370 SAT and a freaking 3.81 GPA but my school is so big and competitive I’m top 28%. why haven’t I heard anything?? I don’t understand what’s taking so long considering & I’m just frustrated and in tears especially because people who aren’t auto admit have applied after me have heard back before I have for the same major. I just really hate this

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2

Thank you so much for your time and co-operation!!
You made the process a lot less anxious

@AggieMomhelp - I was thinking that the 2.48 admit from her school could be a “legacy” admission, I don’t know if TAMU is huge on legacy (I would like to think it’s legacy)

the rigor in their school is just “high” I guess, and i’m thinking should i have kept my kids in TX public HS, they’ll be in auto-admit in TAMU/UT, they were in the TX GT program while going to TX elementary/middle schools

i’m really hoping that she’ll get in TAMU so she can come back home :), my other kids are going to colleges that are thousand miles from home and they’ve been away since HS freshman

@AggieMomhelp thank you! I believe her second choice major was Environmental design… I’m super confused about why they put her in UNIV… here is what the AIS says:
“General University is not an actual major and requires that you change your major prior to accepting your admission by registering for a New Student Conf.” They also provided a link to request a change of major.

Hmmm… interesting… She actually has been thinking of Mechanical engineering or computer science, ME was her first choice up until she saw the Viz program and loved it as she is quite artistic and would love to work for Disney/Pixar. (We live in CA, super close to both Disneyland and Blizzard Entertainment) But lately she has been feeling like a more traditional pathway would be better, with maybe a minor in studio art/game design/or animation… so maybe this is meant to be. I don’t think Engineering is possible at TAMU at this stage, from what I am reading…

Yes, can you give me more info about the Art minor?? What are the chances of picking up a minor and finishing in 4 years?

@BlueBayouAZ my D stats:
SAT 1340
UW GPA 3.8-3.9; private Catholic high school
No class rank but they placed her in top Quarter

Drumline Captain 2 Junior and Senior year
Marching Band, Jazz and Pep band all 4 years
Various state competition awards
Excellent student in Physics Award 2017-18

The Naviance site for our school is very helpful and it is definitely interesting to see where our students fall in terms of the previous years and applications. That said, the end results for acceptance, deferred, denied, etc, are self-reported by the student. The test scores and GPA’s are given by the school but we have to go in and physically change the status to accepted, etc, for each school she applied to this year.

I get very excited when I see she hovers above the average GPA and test score but then I try to remind myself that we are relying on senior high school students to go back in and fill in the information if they are accepted/denied. Is this how it is at all the school’s Naviance site? I want to rely on their data but I’m a bit weary, too.

I have been tracking my schools naviance for TAMU acceptance since last year. For the class of 2018 from my school, 85 applied and 41 were accepted (but I’m not sure how many were auto/academic admits). I’m within the area of students from my school who have been accepted when comparing their SAT and ACT scores with mine along with GPA. Like many of you I have been anxious on hearing a decision since I am a review admit. I’m hoping and praying that I will be accepted because TAMU is my dream school, and I hope that my stats, essay, EC, letters of rec, and being a first gen. Student will work in my favor. So upset bc I missed top 10% by 2 spots!! Ah!! Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed for all of my fellow review admits out there in this forum!

does anyone know how long it takes for the banner to get in the mail?

@medgal it took about a week for me. I’m in state but if your OOS then it might take longer.

I am OOS review applicant, applied in early September and have heard nothing. Everyone else I know from my school has heard back from them, and I am starting to lose hope. TAMU has been my dream school since I was a little kid, but this whole process has really started to make me fall out of love with the school. I was accepted into Penn State main campus just 2 weeks after applying and have fallen in love with it. I’m torn between these two schools now and I’m wondering if it is even worth waiting for TAMU or if I should just accept PSU and be done with the waiting

@hopefulaggie23 Maybe they’re academic admits and my guess is you’re a review admit?? Auto/academic admits hear back first because they’re guaranteed a spot if they want to attend. Then, they look and see if there is room for review admits after accepting all those who are guaranteed a spot. Academic admits don’t have to be in state but auto admits do. Depending on your application and stats, there’s still a chance, so just wait it out.

i am a review admit and i heard back yesterday for liberal arts

@medgal what are your stats and when did you apply?

@hopefulaggie23 you have nothing to gain by jumping the gun, right? its funny how perceptions change once acceptance letters are received. i predict u will rcv a TAMU acceptance and fall right back in love w it! hang tight

@hopefulaggie23 My son also applied to PSU. It was a last minute decision for him. Since we live close to State College, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to go so close to home. We haven’t heard from PSU yet, we got a similar notice to TAMUs in regards to the amount of late submissions for engineering. My son fell in love with A&M when we visited for Aggieland in November. I agree with @StacysMom24 once your letter comes from TAMU you’ll be right back in love. Regardless of where you end up, either school will provide you with a quality education.

Okay so I am Still under review. I want to switch my first and second choice majors. If I switch them will that move me to the back of the list or hurt my chances in any way of getting in? Should I just leave it and change it later?

For those tracking data just wanted to update on my son who was a review applicant that applied by the Early Decision Engineering deadline and was then deferred until January. His tabs on Howdy went from 3 to 6 yesterday morning. It wasn’t until late afternoon yesterday that AIS updated with the You’re Admitted and the letter that he was accepted to College Station and Engineering. The Whoop on Howdy didn’t appear until this afternoon. Looks like a different sequence than others so just wanted to provide the update.

@runsince6 no need to change major. Won’t do any good. Do it after you’re accepted.