TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Tunnelbear99 It is a factor but not necessarily the total picture. They say they have an algorithm they use to assign rank which I believe includes GPA, relative rank per school profile and SAT/ACT scores, etc. Going back I would have stressed more focused test prep to help her get higher scores. That seems to hold a significant amount of weight in the decision.

I am already taking the act and plan on scoring around 26-27 first try, aiming for a 32 in junior year

@Tunnelbear99 if you can get a 30 and are assigned 1Q then you would be academic admit (at least per todayā€™s guidelines) Good goal ?

@AggieDreamin @Tunnelbear99 My son has a 3.2UW/3.9W and he was placed in 1st quartile (out of state and school doesnā€™t rank), although his school does seem quite competitive with most kids taking more than 6 APā€™s + 6 honors courses throughout high school and his school is in top 50 high schools on USnews if that means anything. Interesting to see how much higher GPAā€™s are getting put in lower quartiles. Also according to his counselor heā€™s the first to apply from his school in the past 10 or so years, so TAMU might be comparing you to previous applicants from your high school for ranking.

How do you find out how your applicant compared to peers from his HS when applying for admission to TAMU? I looked for a reference to Naviance for my sonā€™s high school, but found none. So how would you go about finding this data?

@JaceyK , We got an individual login for Naviance along with our high school code. Iā€™d check with your sonā€™s high school guidance counselor to confirm whether or not they use Naviance. Iā€™m not familiar with other online programs for collecting this data beyond sites like Niche that would show how your son compares to everyone who applies. Our high school uses Naviance and keeps a spread sheet of college and university students have every applied to and the results (number applied, average scores of accepted, lowest scores accepted, avg GPA, lowest GPA, total percentage accepted and how many choose to attend). My kidā€™s high school is a high performing magnet with a well honed system for managing the college application process. Iā€™m not sure what data other schools are collecting.

OMG! The waiting IS the hardest part. At this point will they even be able to get housing on campus?!

@AggieMomhelp Hello, I wanted to ask your advice as a parent. My daughter goes to a non-ranking College and Career High School. I know her GPA was in the 3ā€™s, she is graduating in May from high school with her AA in General Studies and will obtain a certification as a Veterinary Assistant as well. Her SAT score was not good and I know she will be looked at as a Review admit to Animal Sciences. She was an only child for many years and had wanted to stay close to home to obtain her bachelorā€™s degree and figure out where to go from there. She literally changed her mind in October 2018 and decided to apply to A&M. Her application is still in review and I honestly donā€™t feel great about her chances getting in as a freshman. She was accepted to LSUā€™s animal science program, however I think she wants to hold out for A&M. I donā€™t want her to hold out too long. What are your experiences with kids that are in the review pool with SAT score around 1200, mediocre GPA, and ranked by A&M in 3rd quarter? She has been in an internship with an animal hospital as well, however I do not think this really matters. I want to be as real with her as possible, but I do not have experience with this. This is my first college student. We did not plan this very wellā€¦she is a last minute applicant for sure. Thanks for your help.

@AggieMomhelp she requested Mech Engineering (which is the major she requested at all other colleges minus TAM) ā€¦ I was on the phone with admissions yesterday and they told me that Eng is still in review; so they said she could upload the Eng essay (she did) and now itā€™s a waiting gameā€¦ fingers crossed! If she doesnā€™t get in she will have to pick another major that isnā€™t full

@OMGdontblink I recently called about housing and was told that if they are accepted there will be a spot in housing for them.

@tisulli Thank you! I heard that some who found out late about acceptance were struggling to find housing.

No dice from school - they said they donā€™t collect any kind of data like that. Ugh. Would be nice to know where my kid falls on the spectrum of TAMU admissions. This being in the dark for so long is very unsettling (especially when my kid is holding out hope upon hope that he will be going to TAMU).

@OMGdontblink I have heard the same as well. We actually did the residence tours yesterday and our student guide told us that he did not get accepted until March 2017 and he was put in temporary housing until a dorm was available. He did not get any choice as of to where he was placed.

@JaceyK I agree with you. My daughter is holding out hope for A&M. I just want them to accept or decline and not make us wait. If they have to keep putting my daughterā€™s application to the side to see if there are better applicants, Iā€™d rather them just decline so she can get everything lined up at the school that she was accepted to (LSU).

@AAO-2019 Yikes! So they get stuck with any old roommate? That would be no beuno!

So it looks like there was no big wave of admits in Jan as of yet, correct?

@AAO-2019 Youā€™re daughter sounds like she knows exactly what she wants to do with her life. Thatā€™s great at this age and good for her for having the academics behind it to showcase her passion. Honestly though, being in 3rd quarter with a 1200 isnā€™t good. It is very hard even in top quarter to get in as review candidate. That being said, if she were my girl and TAMU is where she wants to be (especially since Animal Science), I would have her take 1 semester at community college and work for a 4.0. Since she has her associates, not sure how much she can take but sheā€™ll need 24 graded credits to apply as a transfer. If she takes 12 in the Fall, then she can apply as a spring transfer and theyā€™ll hold for grades. She writes a compelling essay about what she wants to do and accomplish and then BAMā€¦ transfer that Spring assuming grades are good! What is her college credit GPA?

As for housingā€¦ people who got in in February last year were just as likely to obtain on campus housing. Itā€™s priority based on how quickly after acceptance you apply for housing. My son was Dec. and his roomie was September. Both had the exact same day and time to choose their housing. Thus proving the point that you need to apply and pay fee as soon as accepted. After 30 days of acceptance, you lose priority housing and will get a late day and time.

@AggieMomhelp Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. Iā€™m not sure about the college GPA. I will need to verify. I know she has received all Aā€™s and Bā€™s, except for a C in her Spanish 3 class. She can definitely do better and mature a little bit. I have told her something similarā€¦ Stick around home for a semester or 2 and try again as a transfer (we have a U of H satellite campus right down the road). Hopefully it will all work out. I will give her the heads up about her SAT score and class rank not being very competitive for an A&M applicant. Thanks again!

Iā€™m losing hope! Applied July 1 and still havenā€™t heard anything!