TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@Kjohnson01 and @MomOfTeens77 Hopefully with ACT allowing students to retake sections only, maybe SAT will follow suit? This might alleviate some of the stress for those with test anxiety, maybe?? I wonder if it would help them in the respect that they only have to worry about that one section they are retaking. I know it’s of no use now, but hopefully, this will help students down the road.

@SECDad335 We can not see if majors are full. We only know some majors like May’s are full. We will have to wait.

@Mommmm430 - True, I should drink some wine. I think I am stressing my own kid out by asking her to check her portal whenever there is a news of a wave. She said she would wait for email to be sent to her before she checks.
Just getting anxious since Alternative Pathways have already been sent out to some.

@JaceyK I agree, hopefully SAT will follow suit. :slight_smile:

Several posted they were getting decisions during evening hours.

Yes, that’s correct, but I’ve been told that it’s very rare TAMU doesn’t give a top 10% student their 1st choice major, unlike UT Austin. I’ve seen some top 10’s on this forum with lower SAT scores and GPA’s than my daughter, who’ve gained full admission into CS Engineering, and we were “chanced” at so-so with our daughter’s numbers on this forum. It appears to me that they all pretty much get full admit.

TAMU doesn’t give first choice majors to Top 10%… unless the first choice major is open. For Engineering they truly do a holistic review of each. In a not very competitive year, a friend of mine’s son was top 2% of local high school here and he didn’t care much about the SAT, so took it once and didn’t do well at all. They gave him Blinn Academy or option to change major to non engineering to receive full admit to CStat main campus.

It appears Mays & Psyc are full at this time based on some posts here. Viz probably is too, but I haven’t seen anyone on here post about it. Some schools are just smaller than others and can only hold a few students compared to others like the Liberal Arts college.

@Ag Dad ‘92 Rellis is Blinn and is a 2 year college just like the campus in bryan, Brenham, Sealy, etc. If your child chooses to start out at Blinn, she will choose her campus and take classes there. Rellis and Bryan campus are both close to the University. In fact my son works on Rellis campus and takes classes at Blinn Bryan AND at A&M… everything is close here.

AggieMomhelp thank you . Yes, we live in Caldwell (just about 25 miles from BCS)
I guess my main question is this: If she is completely denied admission for either Major, and they only offer her PSA, what is the best route for her to take if she wants to end up graduating from CS Main Campus if she doesn’t want to go the PSA route?

I can only assume that the only options is standard transfer from a JC (most likely Blinn in Bryan) or can she apply for a Baccalaureate degree from TAMU-CC or TAMIU and take all classes at the Rellis Campus ?

UPDATE
Nevermind my question on the Rellis question above.
It looks like Year 1 and 2 are at Blinn and Year 3 and 4 are at Rellis.
It wouldn’t be a degree from main CS campus, but It would still be a 4 year Degree from the TAMU System…is that correct?

@SECDad335 My son is also a freshman applicant for Kinesiology under holistic review. Anxiously awaiting news of acceptances from College of Education and Human Development as his major has not changed in AIS. My hope is there will be a “wave” of non-engineering acceptances by the end of this month. The waiting is tough.

Applied: July
Major: 1st: Kinesiology, 2nd: Liberal Arts: University Studies (SEAL)
GPA: 4.7 weighted/3.6 non-weighted
SAT: 1200 (580 writing/reading; 620 math)

Varsity soccer player, NHS, 15 hours college dual credit, works 20+ hours a week waiting tables, 500+ service hours and LORs from core teachers.

He attended and really enjoyed TAMU’s Camp BUILD summer civil engineering program (but realized engineering was not for him.) Wishing your daughter best of luck and we all get positive news soon!

Our daughter applied in July (morning app opened) and 1st Major = SEAL. Similar stats under holistic review!!! She went to CAMPARCH 1st, and realized not for her. Two CAMPLAWs after that, then, “Applying to TAMU Camp last Summer. On pins & needles. GOOD LUCK to y’all!!!

@icedmachiato While I do appreciate your response, I don’t agree with your comments regarding my career choice. I know what I am capable of, and just because I didn’t score higher on the SAT doesn’t mean that I am not cut out to be an engineer. Has it ever occurred to you that some people who are really smart are not good test takers? Besides plain ability amounts to nothing if it isn’t met with motivation and passion for what you desire. I know that you didn’t mean to come off as a jerk, but you have seriously underestimated me. Again, engineering review consists of a holistic review of the applicant, meaning that they will look at other factors besides my SAT scores.

PREACH IT TO CHOIR!!!

We are College of Education and Human Development and nothing has changed in our AIS and I have not seen anyone mention it so we must all still be in review.

Is there a quick was to @ someone? Advice?

I think what icedmachiato way trying to say @thesaraimartinez is that folks in engineering review typically have higher math scores. And one reason test scores are used in the admissions process is they are a predictor of future performance. They are NOT the end all be all, but there is a correlation to future performance.

I’m a numbers gal. The median SAT for Engineering 2019 was 1370 with Math specifically being 700. Meaning half the scores were below and half the scores were above. And I don’t thing the spread was that wide (For every 600 you need an 800) because the mean (average) was 1360 and 702 for math.

A math score below the academic admit math sub score threshold is rare. Not impossible - but not common.

Please know that I am not saying you are not fully capable of doing the work. And I know many people do not shine in standardized testing.

But the admissions have followed a pattern - and the mean and median scores are published every year.

I don’t want to be negative. As a parent of a PSA decision child thriving at her back-up school, I’m all about having back up plans and realistic expectations.

You are an auto-admit, right? So you are at College Station if you want. I would be focused on what it would take to transfer into engineering - in case the decision does not go the way you hope.

Here is a link to Mean and Median test score by school.
https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/F2019-Admission-Scores-Final.aspx

@agdad92 I don’t think anyone graduates from Rellis… it’s a shoot off of Blinn and they then partner with other A&M system schools. I tried reading it again, but I still see associates degrees and then it says what system school goes with what bachelors.

I would do straight transfer from Blinn/rellis into TAMU cstat. Transferring in is way easier than freshman (except Engineering). No contract, no nothing. Get 24 graded credits completed with the required coursework complete for the major of choice and then apply. Anything about a 3.3ish should be fine (except Mays, Viz, BIMS perhaps.)

How long does AIS take to update after there are the six tabs on Howdy? I had six tabs yesterday morning at 7:30 (Blinn TEAM) but AIS still says In Review.

@JaceyK - I should have done miserably on my SATs (back in 1999). I partied (like it was 1999) the night before and showed up not in the best condition but managed a score over 1200. I took “Personal Finance” instead of Algebra II but apparently did fairly well on the math portion. ACTs, I did not party the night before and scored a 30. Fast forward 20 years and my son, who has taken every AP/Pre-AP and UT OnRamps course his school offers including college statistics in lieu of the calculus route, just freezes up on both the SAT and ACT. He spent about an hour a day each day in the summer studying HOW to take the SAT/ACT and then doing practice tests - which he scored fairly well on - but when it came time to take the real one it’s like his brain went blank. And no, he wasn’t out partying the night before - thankfully that’s not too big of a deal for him. We’re still in review and I’m about to go absolutely crazy - we’ve been in review since 10/10/19. He’s doing state mock trial next week and I told him I wouldn’t tell him if he got in or not because he wants to focus on his trial prep - but I know it’s in the forefront of his mind. He has an auto-admit to UofH and UTSA - UofH would be his second choice is A&M doesn’t admit him - they have Marine Corps ROTC which is vitally important to him. He wants to study International Diplomacy and Policy - Liberal Arts - not sure if many folks have heard back regarding LA. I primarily see STEM related majors here.

My DS is still in Review. Stats…
27%
SAT 1350 (math 720)
Wanting Petroleum Eng
Question: Rank/percantage improved after fall 2019. Should we send an updated transcript with his new rank or is it too late? Any thoughts about his chances/offers?

Good for her @22hope for increasing her rank and having a solid math score. That’s great. However, they only look at your ranking based on the first 6 semesters of school, meaning senior year ranking doesn’t count.

This chain is so great. Wish I saw it months ago.
My Son is OOS, 4.0W, all AP and full IB candidate.
SAT 1450
ACT 33
ECs: Eagle Scout, Varsity sports, NHS, 3rd degree black belt and works 2 jobs, 1 as a life guard and 1 as a engineering associate as a 12th grader.
Applied 10/17, accepted 10/29, accepted to CS engineering 11/17.

vViewing the posts here, I see a supportive and engaging community and hope to be a part of it and can see how the aggie reputation will be a huge pistol over influence.
As an OOS, we are hopeful for some reasonable scholarship money. Having said that, compared to other top engineering schools, I see TAMU as a good value at full price Compared to Rose-Hulman, Colorado School of Mines. His only other school to consider is UC Berkley but the vibe at TAMU is more like he is and he will fit in so well.

My question is when do Honors decisions come out and is there are value of University Honors vs Engineering? Thanks!