TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

We got both emails and snail-mail letters.

@chilanga513

First choice was business which may be why I got Blinn TEAM?

Hello
I am inquiring about admissions because the wait has been grueling

When did you apply: August
Class Rank: School doesn’t rank however in my sons AIS portal he said it reads 1st qtr
GPA: 4.106
SAT : 1300 E - 630 M - 670
ACT : 28
When did you receive your admission decision: APP IS COMPLETE AND IN REVIEW
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review maybe? Not auto admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays - Second AgriBusiness
Has over 80 service hours, submitted to letters of req and participated in an internship
He hasn’t heard a thing. What are his chances of getting in?

Sorry
 resending as I didn’t realize I needed to tag someone to comment. Sorry
 newbie mistake! lol
@Thelma2 @TexasAggie99
Hello
I am inquiring about admissions because the wait has been grueling

When did you apply: August
Class Rank: School doesn’t rank however in my sons AIS portal he said it reads 1st qtr
GPA: 4.106
SAT : 1300 E - 630 M - 670
ACT : 28
When did you receive your admission decision: APP IS COMPLETE AND IN REVIEW
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: review maybe? Not auto admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays - Second AgriBusiness
Has over 80 service hours, submitted to letters of req and participated in an internship
He hasn’t heard a thing. What are his chances of getting in?

What does it mean if you haven’t heard anything back. When do they post admission decisions?

@ATTX were you granted full admission at A&M?

@texangurl21. My sons were admitted to engineering around late Sept or early Oct.

Hi there. At this point have most review applicants been accepted? What about Blinn Team? Looking for any information at all and this thread is crazy! Please help<3

@ayalaisabella1 My daughter is an English major and was accepted yesterday for Blinn Team. Her major is now listed General Studies.

There are still full admit decisions coming from what I’ve been told. Hang in there.

@thesaraimartinez and some others By no mean I wanted to outsmart you or anyone on this forum. I wanted to give you my opinion from decades of being an engineer. I know the sat math inside out. I didn’t reply to your original post when you posted because I felt it might be sensitive. When I saw your last post, I felt maybe I should give you my advice. Really, I have no gain giving that advice. And if you, and some who have trouble taking the sat math, how do you think engineering will work? It’s not that easy/simple as you think when you have someone behind your back pushing. And when the economy is doing great, everyone is safe. When the economy is not doing so well and/or when one is reaching 50+, guess who they will choose to let go? If you’re determined to be an engineer and think you are capable of, go ahead. Like @BlueBayouAZ said, the ad com has a threshold for a reason. I hope you’ll have the news you hope you get. Thanks @MikeSugarland for backing me.

@2NDGENAGGIE When you are offered Blinn Team you have I think around a week to respond and then it will no longer be in your AIS if you do not respond. A&M does not wait for one to decline to replace it with another offer. They know how many offers to give and how many people will accept and not take the offer/decline.

Huh? Are you saying, TAMU makes more TEAM offers than they have “room” for because they assume all will not be accepted? So, no more will be offered once they’re “done”? TIA.

I knew my post might be sensitive/offensive. So I made sure I wrote it best as I could. I did not say about the test, I said “if you have difficulty with sat math
” You are right about the sat/act. They are not perfect. But schools need something to evaluate students from different districts. We all know all schools are different. While not perfect, sat/act do serve a purpose well. But here is something to think about
 while sat/act can not predict/relate, the majority of high achievers did well on these tests. Ad com know that. And that’s why sat/act still have their place in decision making process.

@2NDGENAGGIE I agree with the response of @Mommmm430. Realistically for all offers of admission (full > pathway >alternate) I’m sure there’s a ‘known’ yield factored in. Admissions know from previous years of admission cycles to gain the desired # of students (x) they must actually offer more places (y) as a certain % will decline (z)
Unfortunately one student declining a TEAM spot doesn’t open the door to another acceptance being offered up. I had this exact same thought/hope last year!

To piggy back on to this - you do have to take a math placement exam. At my daughter’s school too. So if you are struggling on the SAT math - there is a good chance you will not place well on this exam either.

For juniors and younger out there - If you seriously suspect actual test anxiety impacting your success on the SAT/ACT exams- be really honest with yourself. Take multiple practice tests (hard copy at your own pace). How is your score on those? If it is significantly better than timed tests at the testing center- then work on at home tests within the time constraints. If it still significantly better timed, at home - then you probably have anxiety you are dealing with. I would reach out to a therapist or your healthcare provider for treatment options. Anxiety sucks and can impact your adult life if you don’t have treatment or coping techniques.

If your untimed at home tests are not much different (More than 2 points ACT/40-50 SAT) than your real scores you are not pleased with - then it probably is not anxiety impacting the scores - It is knowledge of the subject matter or difficultly with the nature of standardized testing in general.

The repeated practices that @AggieMomAgain is suggesting would be very beneficial.

Wow it’s almost 9:30 and this place is silent! I keep refreshing my page thinking I will see some acceptance today. Nothing.

Have there been any Gateway offers yet?

Not that we have seen yet - but I have to stress that it is such a small alternative admission decision - that last year we saw very few posts on this board. And if I recall correctly they were - “someone at my school” VS actual people who were regular posters.

Since it is so quiet here as we are all waiting on decisions by the school. I am wondering if we can talk about TAMU’s school environment more so as how it relates to someone that is not “White.”
I took my daughter to visit TAMU on one of the large high school student visit days, and noticed that we didn’t see anyone that look like us until when we were about to leave TAMU, and saw a very very small group that may or may not be the same race/ethnicity as my daughter.
My daughter is not exactly a geek/nerd, but not exactly very outgoing either. She is pretty in the middle as far as personality goes.

My questions are:

1. How is the environment for kids that are not part of the majority?

2. Chances of Greek Life due to not being a majority?

3. Will my child feel out of place?

4. She goes to a high school that is predominantly “White” and was usually the only one of her race in most of her classes since Kindergarten. High School was a bit better, but still not very many from her race/ethnicity, but more people that look like her appearance wise. She gets along well with people of all races and is usually pretty adaptable.

5. There has been some minor ignorant comments made towards my daughter during her Kinder -1 2 grade years (Same ISD), but we chalk it up that we are the minority where we live and didn’t really pay too much heed to it. - I made sure the school knew that I was very involved in my daughters education so, some PTO moms and kids have seen me around school, so nothing got out of hand during her school years in terms of bullying, as probably they would know her mom will raise an issue.

6. While walking around the Walmart in College Station closest to TAMU, we did feel a bit uncomfortable, but not to the point where we had to leave fast. Just that it seems everyone was looking at us thinking we we were out of place.