TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Hi, since comment was made about no “acceptance” posts today…our daughter had a friend that went to Applying to Texas A&M Camp gain a TEAM offer yesterday evening. He applied to Health Sciences (wants to be an Aggie Vet). We’re excited for him!! And, eager to receive admit offer too!!

Hello…Not sure what race you are…but…My son is African American, and is a Junior at TAMU. He said there are not a lot of black people there despite what you might hear (TAMU is right under 4% for African Americans on campus). So as you can imagine they are quite spread out. He is familiar with the fraternities and other African American groups, but he feels they are small in numbers. He, however, is use to being the only black person in his environment (homeschool and swimming) so he enjoys being surrounded by people of all nationalities. He is apart of a few Christian organizations that he adores (BCA and Youth Impact.) Overall, he LOVES A&M, and isn’t discouraged by the low numbers, even though he wishes it was higher. This is my son’s perspective.

Edited to add: He has experienced being called racist names by some drunk students one night, but other than that he has NOT encountered anyone treating him differently than his peers.

@Home2Collegex2 - Thank you for sharing your son’s perspective. This is very encouraging and calm some of my nerves. My daughter wasn’t intimidated during our visit, she was actually leaning towards TAMU after our visit. She is used to this type of environment.
However, with it being college and her and other college students that are no longer a “kid” but an “adult” I was just a bit worried.

It seems like I don’t have to worry then.

Thank you so much for replying back on this sensitive topic.

@2ANDGENAGGIE - May I ask what you mean by Applying to Texas A&M Camp? What is that and had your daughters friend already applied to A&M?

@Colhopeful728 This: http://dars.tamu.edu/Student/Enrollment-Profile may give you a better understanding about the school profile. Your concern has always been on non-white students’/parents’ mind. Since my son may go here, I’m engaged more into talking to students/alumni that I’ve encountered to find out more about this school and the surroundings. Your concern often popped up when I spoke to non white individuals. This is one of the reasons why some students prefer ut (30ish% vs. 50ish%). During one conversation, this one alumni said somewhere in the school (I can’t remember where) they have pictures of past kkk leaders as part of the history. This made him uncomfortable but he did not experience any such thing during the years there. Imo though, unless you head west, it’s pretty much the same everywhere in tx, except ut and some private institutes, including hs. You just need a few good friends around you and not mind others’ business. Geek life can be positive but I’ve never been a fan of it. Even in the west, there have been issues like your concern. One thing I have learned from this process though is that the staff (students, employees, department directors, you name it…) is very very friendly, helpful and inviting (unlike the other big school). Sometimes I call just so I can engage and talk to the students to learn more. I have not heard anything negative from the students/alumni I’ve spoke to. They seem to all indicate that whatever race you are, once an Aggie, you are an Aggie. They seem to have a very unique supporting network (for work, further education…) regardless. Outside of the school is different though. Some surrounding cities are quite conservative.

@colhopeful728 While I am white so cannot even put myself in anyone else’s shoes or attempt to, I will say that living here since 1989 and raising my kids here, we do have all races threaded throughout the community. While they aren’t a large number, hence minority, I don’t believe this younger generation even sees color. My son is in a fraternity and they have every walk of life from race, nationality, socioeconomic, cultural, etc. I hate that anyone is called racial names. Makes me angry… I will say that my son has been at northgate and has had a run in with some drunks that were white and one asian who wanted to beat them up. It wasn’t racially directed, but just saying drunk kids are stupid. So stupid.

I hope your daughter loves it here and finds her niche and her Aggie family!

@icedmachiato - Thank you for sharing. My daughter was wanting some sort of greek life/sorority that wasn’t race based. I know there are a few that are race based. I wasn’t in a Sorority when I was in college, so I can’t provide that experience to her.

Sounds good that the students, employees, and department directors are friendly and welcoming. I think the anxiety is really on me and not my daughter. I was just wondering especially reading up on college safety articles (not TAMU specific) so I am just a bit paranoid.

TAMU sounds like a wonderful school, and Thanks to you and Home2collegex2, I do feel a lot better in encouraging my daughter to go there, once TAMU gives us their decision.

This is a really tough group of questions to answer. From looking at the fall 2019 undergraduate students:
59% - White
25% - Hispanic
9% - Asian
3% - Black
3% - Multi racial Excluding black
Less than 1% Native American

But TAMU is such a large campus - That the 3% amounts to around 1,640 people and 9% is 4,480. So you can “find your people” if that is what you want to do.

As far as sorority life - NPC chapters now days are pretty inclusive on a national level. But their membership reflects the make up of the school (which in TAMUs case is 84% white or hispanic) and the girls going through recruitment, which look to be majority white. You can not pledge a person of color if they do not go through recruitment. You can look at the College Panhellenic Website and see what photos each sorority used to represent their org.
https://cpc.tamu.edu/

When you take a school like UTD that has a more diverse undergraduate student population (35% -Asian American, 30%- Anglo, 18%- Hispanic, 5% - African American), - the NPC chapters reflect that diversity.

And just looking at the University of Texas (Austin) University Panhellenic Council website - their NPC chapters appear to have more diversity than TAMU.

But this is likely due to the makeup of the student population at TAMU and who is going through recruitment, not an effort to exclude.

At TAMU -there are also 10 sororities in the Multi cultural greek council and I think there are at least 4 National Pan-Hellenic Council sororities.

@Colhopeful728 My daughter will be a freshman at A&M in the fall, we toured the campus last summer. We saw lots of diversity (African American, Asian and Indian families) during our visit. And I personally know Asian and Indian students who attend A&M now and they love it. I’ve also watched many YouTube videos posted by current A&M students and they are all different races. Hope this helps a little. :heart:

I just read this on the TAMU website:

“Applicants who apply to the College of Engineering and have a complete admission file by the Early Action Deadline of October 15, will receive a communication regarding their admission decision by mid-December. The communication will notify the student of admission or deferral to the January-February decision timeline.”

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

It’s one of the CampYAP Summer camps. This one is available to uprising HS Seniors only. It was her 4th CampYAP. First = CampARCH, then second & third = CampLAW. She learned she wanted to be an Aggie Attorney. Great camps to learn what you actually want to major in at TAMU. This is why she’s heartbroken she hasn’t heard back from Admissions. She applied ONLY to TAMU, on July 1st at 10AM. Friends that have lower ACT, applied after she did, and aren’t committed to becoming Aggies are gaining offers. But, hey, life’s not fair, and this is great lesson in patience.

Oh, sorry, he applied after she did. I THINK in Aug sometime.

@icedmachiato No problem … as an engineer, I understood what you were trying to say. BTW, @MikeSugarland is a temp ID when CC was having login problem. My real one is @mikeinsugarland:wink:

BTW, I just checked my son Financial Aid portal and the awards are there … Make sure you select the correct academic year from the drop-down menu.
Good luck everyone …

@2NDGENAGGIE - I am so sorry… that is frustrating. I feel your pain bc the struggle is real over here too. Reading that Mays is already full is even more heartbreaking. I guess we would just like to know something so our son can move onto other GOOD offers from schools that are equal to A&M. Good luck to y’all!

LOL! As a second-generation Aggie, I can confirm, there are NO Universities equal to A&M. ?. And, good luck to your son…hopefully they will both be yelling GIG ‘EM!!! in the Student Sections in the Fall, and gaining that Gold Ring in 2024!!!

That is correct. TAMU (and every other universities) admitted/offered more students than they have room because they know from years past what the yields (enrolled/offered) % are each year. A simplistic example is that if the yield is 50% for engineering and they have room for 1000 freshmen, they will offered engineering to 2000.

So even if a few rejects the offer, technically it will not open slots for others who are waiting. Now, it could possibly be an abnormal situation where a significant #s (like let’s say 500) of rejections come in before a certain dates like March 1. Then, TAMU will be facing a shortage of students and they might go back and make additional offers. But that is very unlikely situation given how many students want to go to TAMU.

Hope that makes sense …

Please help calm my nervous-mama nerves…!! :wink:

2020 admissions.
When did you apply: End of Nov
Class Rank: #6

SAT (with Sub Scores)–1310, 680 math, 630 English

ACT (with Sub Scores)–NA

When did you receive your admission decision: Dec 20ish

Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Auto-Admit

Major/College of Choice: Engineering

Extras: 4 varsity sports, volunteer/community service involvement, Texas Boys State-2019

My son has been admitted to CStat as auto admit and he’s under review for engineering. He’s been accepted to Purdue but may want closer to home, so A&M is a better fit.

**He’s supposed to heat about major by end of Jan and just realized that he didn’t send in his Dec SAT SCORE…the one referenced above. Ugh!! His August score that was sent To A&M was a 1280.

I did a rush SAT order this morning…any chance it’ll help and he’ll get in? The waiting is hard!

Thanks for your help!!

@2NDGENAGGIE - LOL yes this is true. My husband is an Aggie as well. I wasn’t referring to traditions or anything, just simply academically equal…or close too. :slight_smile:

I do not believe they will look at any scores sent past the deadline. @AggieMomhelp might know more.

Was his math sub score lower with the one he sent?