TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@hmporter64 Have you looked to see if there is a letter of acceptance in his AIS?

@JJJATX I believe the admissions office takes walk-ins on Fridays. When we set up an appointment online, it allowed us the option of a phone appointment or a face to face visit. So maybe if you set it up online you can request a phone appointment. Then an actual counselor will visit with you about your particular situation.

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful info.
I’m making an appt w/the admissions office counselors and am looking forward to getting lots of questions answered. BTW - is there a particular counselor I should sign up with that’s extra helpful? :wink:
I do realize the Galveston offer is a very good opportunity and we’re thankful for it. Instead, my son was really hoping for a Blinn offer, if not a full admit, as all of his friends will be in CStat next fall, and he really was looking so forward to begin his college experience together w/them. They have been planning this since they were little kids, so it is a big deal to him and we want to try to find a way to make this work.
Still, at this point, we need to consider each of his backup schools and also the possibility of transferring in. Either way, he has good options and and I know things will work out :slight_smile:

Yes - so many times!!! Still nothing.

You are right. I struggled with it and I do feel guilty. I did tell him that I sent the email. He was fine with it but disappointed that there is still no change in his status. I feel responsible for hyping him up because I told him “6 tabs means you’re in!” a week and a day later I can confirm that 6 tabs doesn’t mean that every time. I feel like I crushed this kid who has been dreaming of being an Aggie since 4th grade when we took him to a game.

@hmporter64 Honestly, @aggiemomhelp and I guarantee he’s in - this is a glitch, it has to be. 6 tabs means he’s in. Period. We have not seen otherwise (except for that one saying he/she had 6 tabs and got PSA but not sure about the validity of that instance). I hate that this is stringing you guys on for so long though - and I wish that Admissions would just suck up and say that the 6 tabs means you’re in. :neutral:

@JaceyK Thanks for the encouragement!! :slight_smile: If it is a glitch, how do I get them to fix it? What if it stays a glitch forever?

Please list what the 6 tabs are. Just want to confirm that everything appears like we are use to seeing.

Home
Applicant
My Finances
Student Life
My Howdy

and something else??? With an R? Sorry - on my work computer.

@hmporter64 I concurred with others as well that you’re in. Unless we are all wrong, the facts that financial aid was offered and you were able to accepted them meant you’re in. There no reason for financial aid to be offered unless you are an admitted student.

To be sure, what is showing under AIS ? What are the messages and/or buttons available ? Also, what is showing under Manage Applications → Application Status ?

@alwiggin Yes. Here waiting with you. Waiting is tough. I don’t know what to expect. Is it good or bad that we haven’t heard about PSA? Is it good or bad that we didn’t hear about Blinn last week?

@jfhspc So hard to tell! I feel like i heard the waitlisted status a few days after the first set, so maybe there is still hope? At this point just a decision would be helpful, but holding on to hope.

@JJJATX - My son is trying to decide between Baylor & TAMU for Engineering. We have both been reading everything to help with the decision. He is in at both, and they cost about the same… Although TAMU is ranked much higher than Baylor here are a few things my son found while researching which has kept his interest.

(1) Both the Dean & Associate Dean at Baylor left TAMU Engineering about 5-7 years ago. From what he has read to make efforts to strengthen the program… and it’s working.

(2) Baylor hired 2 career counselors JUST for Engineering to help with resumes, internships, mock interviews, job placement.

(3) Baylor 2019 grads had a higher %/pass rate for the Engineering Test upon graduation.

(4) Smaller class sizes @ Baylor since it is a smaller program. Personal relationships With professors.

(5) “Free” tutoring.

With that said, my son is struggling to commit to TAMU but also struggling to commit to Baylor. He knows TAMU is ranked higher, and the alumni network is strong. He also feels like he needs to go to TAMU because he was accepted. However, my son is shy & introverted, and worried about the BIG campus & tons of students. Also, he would like to secondary major in Music which he can’t do at TAMU.

Best of luck to your son on his decision. It’s such a tough one to make!

Still no change in my daughter’s Howdy. Engineering major applied end of October. Still has change major button. ?‍♀️

Same…

After another inquiry to admissions regarding the non -engineering waitlist/blinn team offer timeline, the below is their response:
Howdy!

The deadline to request an option is April 1st. We expect most decisions to be released in April after that deadline.

I would suggest continuing to monitor your AIS portal weekly for updates.

Thanks and gig’em,

Admissions Customer Service

@UCLAbruin1 and @hmporter64 Legally, you can call and ask for general information, such as, “I see these 6 tabs and this, but my son still hasn’t recieved Congratulations. What does this mean?” You are their advocate. It is totally a personal decision, but if you are asking a general question, there is nothing wrong with that. If you want a positive relationship with your son, it’s always good to be open, but sometimes you need to step in and make a decision as the adult if you don’t agree with your child. That’s all I’m saying. Unless he is 18 and moved out of your house…

@Lalibela I respectfully agree to disagree. I never claimed it’s not okay to step in as a parent regarding other aspects of raising a child; however, I don’t understand how it could be seen as anything but problematic if one’s parent has to call their kids potential university to ask questions about their admissions decision. Do you still call your kids teachers if your kid has a disagreement with them? If I worked in admissions and had mom’s and dad’s calling me, it would raise a red flag. He earned the grades, he did the testing, he wrote the essay, this is his responsibility not yours.

@mikeinsugarland In AIS, it says, " you are being considered for the Engineering Academy at Blinn."

At the bottom it lists majors as 1. Engineering Academy and 2. Computer Science. Below that the change major button is gone and only the withdraw application button remains.

In Howdy, there are the 6 tabs. I’ve accepted his financial aid but can’t register for housing. Under Manage Applications it says Under Review, then the acronyms for TEAB, then underneath the Change Major and Withdraw Application buttons are both there.

It is a conundrum.

@hmporter64 I sent you a private message…