TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I found out on April 7 that I got into the TAMU Engineering Chevron Academy at Spring Branch! Now I have to choose between Texas Tech and this wonderful program. Such a hard decision to make especially since I had my full focus on TTU after being rejected from TAMU directly. Any advice?

Tech has a great engineering program and they are nationally recognized in the top 10 of the country for being prepared for work after graduation. It was just released.

It really depends on where you want to graduate from. Both schools have good and bad. Go where you see yourself. Hope that helps.

@somehighschoolgirl hey! Do you mind me asking what are your stats? Iā€™m waiting for my decision for the exact same program and I want to see if I have a chance at getting in. :slight_smile:

That is a tough call. Totally anecdotal, but the two students I know that began that program did not end up at TAMU. Both decided engineering was not their life passion. Not poor academic performance, just interest. One thought they wanted to be a computer engineer - but ended up more into cyber security and went on to study at UTSA.

@somehighschoolgirl
Go to Tech, hands down. So many great kids I know going in that program. I live next to this academy. Iā€™ll take a picture of it if you donā€™t know know anything about the area/Houston area. Do you want commuter college or full college experienceā€¦goals?

Well I scored a 1350 on the SAT and scored a 29 on the ACT.

Yes thank you I was thinking the same! Do you mind taking a picture of the area though? I want a full university experience but I am afraid that if I end up not liking Tech then I missed a good opportunity at TAMU.

But yes thank you for the advice.

Thanks so much, yes that definitely helps me when making me decision.

Hey! if you want, email the director/dean of the academy and ask them for a follow up on your application and ask how far it is in the decision process. This will push them to make a quicker decision for you since you are pushing/asking them for an update. Trust me, my twin sister did not receive the link to apply to Tamu and I got the decision first so she emailed the director and they sent her the link 2 days after she sent the email. They claimed they ā€œsentā€ the link to her. She applied to TAMU with the link and got a decision in less than a week after.

Thatā€™s just if you want a quicker decision than having to wait until June. Tbh I think they delayed it because of the virus but my sister did it in April so itā€™s worth a try. Hope this helps.

Incase you want it, hereā€™s the director that my sister emailed to get her decision. His name is Dr. David DeSousa
Associate Director, Texas A&M Engineering Academies. His email is engineeringacademies@tamu.edu

Hope this helped!

I have not a heard of a single student who regretted going to Tech. They all went with an All In mentality. Try not to go anywhere half in with your eyes on A&M. You will rob yourself of the college experience. It all adds to your story. Yes it is far away, but you may really like that. Itā€™s a great campus.

Thank you for the advice. I decided that I will be attending Tech in the Fall!

@somehighschoolgirl thanks! Iā€™m gonna email them! hopefully it works. it took me so long to get a prequalification link too.

I think this is a good decision. AS @AggieMomhelp said, I have never met a person who went to Tech and regretted it (including my sister).

Thank you!

Np! Lmk when you get an email back from them.

How long does it take to hear back after submitting your housing application

For Tamu or TTU?

@somehighschoolgirl

I think youā€™ll be very happy with your decision!!! Full college experience and great kids! Sorry I didnā€™t send you a pic in time but sounds like you didnā€™t need it.