TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Posting for my daughter.
When did you apply: 8/5/2019
Class Rank: 379/1365 - 27.8%
GPA: 3.85 UW 3.99 W
ACT (with Sub Scores) 32 (27 English, 31 Math, 34 Science, 34 Reading)
When did you receive your admission decision: pending
Are you an Auto-admit or Academic Admit or Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Animal Science - wants to be a vet

-Multiple honors and dual credit classes
-Volunteering - church child care for 5 years, multiple other Volunteering past 5 years
-4 years FFA – Chapter President this year, Sentinel last year, District officer last year, involved in multiple FFA committees
-3 yrs CDE Veterinary Science (Career Development Events thru FFA) made it to state each year
-Showed lamb last year and this year- Gets up at 5am, drives 15 minutes each way to feed each morning before school, then returns each night and spends between 30 min - 2 hours preparing the lamb for show - I had no idea how much work was involved

-Works Chick-fil-a since April 2018 - promoted to Business Leader within a year
-Internship at vet clinic - Will graduate High School as a CVA (Certified Veterinary Assistant)
-Many visits to A&M, including CDE competitions, 2 years to Camp Yap (Animal Science & Veterinary Medicine), official tour of BIMS program and Animal Science program (She prefers the Animal Science over the BIMS), regional visit, Football game, She loves the feel of A&M and this is her top choice
-Can you tell I am proud of her hard work and dedication to becoming a vet? Praying the next step happens at A&M. Any feedback on her chances very appreciated.

@2024aggiemomhope You should be extremely proud of her hard work and dedication. Obviously she has a passion for animals.

As for her chances. Review admits make up less than 10% of full admit. Being in 2nd quarter will hurt her if strong ACT could help with that. I hope it does and they look at her holistic side of ECs. Hoping her essay was strong as well. Any letter of recs that she can add to her portfolio?

@AggieMomhelp Thanks! I forgot to add that she has 2 of her ag teachers (who have known her for 3 years) writing her letter of recs. Both are Aggie graduates and have spent hours with her, both in class and out. We felt her essay was strong as well. Hopefully all this is enough to get her in. She has wanted to be a vet since she was in preschool and wanted to go to A&M since her Yap camp in grade school.

Applied 7/15/19
UIN 7/17/19
Rank - HS doesn’t rank beyond the top 10% (private school)
GPA - 3.93
ACT 27 (taking again in Sept)
Major: Animal Science Science Option
Review Admit
Son is an Eagle Scout, interested in joining the Corp, and play in the Aggie Band. Our son would be a 4th generation Aggie
saying our prayers. According to the Howdy portal, his class rank has yet to be assigned. Momma might need therapy waiting until Feb!!

@lrbrooks sounds like a good Aggie to me. Hopefully his score goes up to academic admit. If you’re close enough to tamu campus, have him try the residual act taken at tamu. It only counts for tamu and is scored in 24 hours. You can schedule your own test date.

@MomOfTeens77 : Your son sounds like an absoultely wonderful young man. The illness and set back that he endured is something that TAMU does need to know about as it is the explanation for the deviation in his incredible upward momentum BEFORE the illness. Otherwise, they won’t know why he was switched from AP to regular classes. Explaining his illness, recovery process and showing how he has overcome the obstacle will let TAMU know that he is precisely the type of student that will thrive at TAMU. Without the explanation, they could think that he was just an average student who just couldn’t handle the AP rigor and pace. You do NOT want them to think that. TAMU knows that life happens, they want to see resilience in the face of or aftermath of anything adverse that happens, such as an illness, (sudden or chronic), a death in the family, impacted by a major weather event/natural disaster, (Hurricane Harvey, etc), basically anything that impacted them in a negative way. And they want to know how the student coped, adjusted and responded to that crisis. A LOT of students who have cruised through school without having to study, facing no obstacles, etc. have cratered when faced with the very rigorus and fast paced college level classes. Students who have been tested in a crisis and show resilience are much more likely to be able to cope with the demands of college life.
My daughter, currently starting her Jr Aggie year, suffered a level 2 concussion in the 8th grade that affected her focus/energy level/sleep needs/completion of homework time/course selection and gpa during her 9th and 10th grade years. She DID NOT want to mention it on her application, she most emphatically DID NOT WANT TO BE “DIFFERENT”, but I insisted that she included info about the concussion and recovery process and how that affected her gpa in the extra question section of her TAMU application. It was just a few lines but it helped to explain why she was in the 53% of her HS class. She was offered Blinn-TEAM for Fall 2017, has completed that program and has a 3.75 gpa. :slight_smile: She is THRIVING at TAMU. See my posts about Blinn-TEAM for more info.
I understand that he doesn’t want to be different. But TAMU needs an explanation for the dip in his course rigor. If he doesn’t include that info, he might regret it. Keep us posted.

Curious as to what everyone’s Howdy portal page is saying? We uploaded the SRAR, and have confirmation it was received, however we do not have confirmation it was aligned to the application yet. What is everyones portal saying? Is your application complete?

@OhioTransplant my son’s app is waiting for A&M to assign him rank as his school doesn’t rank. After they do that his app will be complete. I’m kinda freaking out that they haven’t done it yet. They’ve had his SRAR since mid July and still no ranking. I’m nervous since first acceptances go out in September. Does anyone have ranking that comes from a non-ranking high school?

@TexasAggie99 We are in the same boat - class rank is the only red x, and my daughter had everything else complete by July 24th.

Not sure where you/your kiddo ranks, but truly only top 10% and academic admits will hear in September. Holistic reviews will primarily in January/February. HOWEVER, some, and I mean very few, heard in mid October and then in December. IF you are auto or academic admit, you’ll be fine if they don’t have it updated by September. You’ll still get your spot.

@AggieMomhelp son should be academic admit if ranked in top 25% by A&M. He’s going for engineering so still have to wait on that. Just feels good to get some of the pieces of the puzzle complete by having his app complete and hearing that he got accepted. Hoping that might make the engineering acceptance come sooner rather than later if the other stuff gets done soon.

What does Howdy say about SRAR? Mine has a big red X. It was submitted early last week. How long does that usually take?

@OhioTransplant son’s SRAR has a green checkmark beside it. He submitted it on 7/13 and his green check mark didn’t happen until 7/20. As long as you linked your SRAR to A&M they will get it. It takes a bit of time, doesn’t happen in a couple of days.

My daughter is waiting for her class ranking to update also (only thing missing) and she was told by her regional advisor, that according to the Processing Office in Admissions, it is taking longer than expected to determine class rank and not to expect the rank to be updated until early September. But not to worry, if everything else is submitted then the application should be complete. That there is a lot of other students in the same situation and it is going to take a little time for processing to catch up. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will expect to see something in the next couple of days.

Not sure if I’m supposed to ask this question here or somewhere else, but I’m trying to change my major choices on my application on Howdy and none of the business and engineering majors are listed. Are these spots already filled up? I tried emailing a&m about it and they didn’t understand what I was talking about. Was really hoping to change my major choices soon.

@laurawrites I don’t have access to it since I don’t have a student going through this year’s cycle, but in years past, you could change major up until you got a decision. Are you doing it through AIS or Howdy? I remember it being on AIS at the bottom of page. Not sure why Bus/Eng would be missing. Is general business or engineering listed? Maybe someone else will have some insight on this!!!

General business/engineering isn’t listed either. I originally tried to change my major on AIS (at the bottom of the page) and it gave me instructions on how to do it in Howdy. Seems kind of strange to me but whatever. My only guess is maybe they take business and engineering options off for the incoming Freshman and they’ll be back in a few weeks for the 2020 applicants? I applied on July 1st but they shouldn’t be evaluating my application this soon. Just seems very odd to me.

Hmmm. that is weird. And incoming freshman can’t change their major now. They would have to do it at NSC or during their first semester (applying to major change once they meet the requirements). So that shouldn’t have anything to do with it. My son had changed his from AgBus to Econ in February (was accepted in Dec.-Class of 2022) and it had to be approved by the Econ dept. So it changed to a pending status on major. Then it got approved and switched. But during the application process, you should be able to change your major regardless of Business/Engineering or basket weaving.

I just checked and they fixed the problem! Not sure what was going on but I can now see all the engineering majors and business administration.