TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

For those still waiting for Engineering, my daughter applied on July 1 and missed the auto admit by 1%! She’s still heard NOTHING. My question is if people with considerably lower GPA’s and SAT scores than my daughter have already been admitted to A&M in other majors (outside Engineering and Mays and any other popular majors), does she stand a chance of being offered admittance to A&M in another major, if we don’t get engineering at all? Or, since she requested Engineering as her 1st and 2nd choice majors, by the time they’ve realized they can’t accept her into engineering, will there be any more room left for admissions at A&M for a backup major possibly in the Sciences? Hope this question makes sense. Thanks.

My son got acceptance under “Engineering Review”. Degree “BAC”, Location “College Station”. Does that mean that he may not be offered Engineering college, but whatever he is offered will be at College Station?

@UTexas2024 check my communications on AIS there should be an acceptance letter there telling you more

@UTexas2024 I think last year there were some engineering review students accepted late that were offered Galveston campus (which A&M considers a regular engineering admission) because they had run out of room in CS.

I think at that point you could probably change majors to try to stay in CS if another major was still open…and if any of this info is wrong, someone please correct me. Going from memory from last year’s admissions thread.

BattlinBillie2020, that is great news for your son. Looks like your son’s SAT and ACT are higher than my son’s. From all the posts I have read here, it looks like full admission is highly unlikely here, although that would be great. I have been curious about the stats of those who get PSA or Blinn Team. Fortunately, my son has acceptances at several other schools and he is the sort of kid who will enjoy wherever he goes. But, I was pleased to see him wear his A&M jacket this morning.

I’ve shared this before - but she has a better chance at getting admitted to engineering, including Galveston and the other full admit pathways, than any other school on campus. There are more spaces and more pathways.

Looking at http://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa18-incl-Galveston.aspx I have run the numbers (Percent admitted).
Ag 53%
Arch 46%
Business Admin 48%
Engineering 85%
Geo 67%
Gen Studies 100% (But that is the Gateway etc kids)
Liberal Arts 56%
Science 62%
Vet 72%
Public Health 57%

Based on this breakdown, the admission process at TAMU weighted toward engineering and science majors.

I’m not following the thread like I did last year when my daughter was waiting - but I don’t believe I’ve seen a decision with “considerably lower” scores yet.

I think you’re most likely right. My son is academic admit with tons of extra and 1400 sat. He’s still under engineering review. It’s quite competitive.

It’s so exhausting?
And now my son has actually decided that UT is his first choice ?. My husband is an Aggie and we both really want him to go to TAMU. We can’t even try the pros and cons until he has the engineering acceptance (assuming he gets it).
He won’t for sure hear back from UT until February. He’s not auto admit for them but is academic admit for TAMU.
He been accepted to and offered a scholarship to Colorado School of Mines already and yet we still sit in review for engineering at A&M! SOOO READY FOR THIS TO BE DONE!

@bluebayou I am also not following very closely this year but anxious for the FALL 2019 DARS report supposedly available around mid-Nov. I am sure you will give us a run down. ? Suspect it will look much different from Fall 2018

I’m looking forward to it too. I think the percentage admit will be down across the board. We already know know the percent of review candidates admitted to CC and alternative pathways was significantly down.

I still think engineering will far outpace other majors. In part due to the 25 by 25 plan. https://engineering.tamu.edu/25by25/25-by-25-report.html

@AgDad90 - We’re right there with you, I dont think my son will receive full admission to CS. We are waiting to see if we get some other form of offer, but in the meantime, we have also applied to one of the Engineering Academies located near us. We have completed everything required on that college end, so again, just waiting to hear from TAMU for the 2nd part of the application process (which I understand wont happen until after the new year). Maybe that would be an option for your son, if he’s got his heart set on TAMU. Meanwhile, we just wait (I hate it!!!) lol

@astrodreamsmom My daughter is top 6% still sitting in engineering review. She has chosen not to take AP Physics though which I believe is an automatic no admit to ut engineering, and A&M may recognize that on her transcript.

@Boogie818 My daughter also sits in engineering review while already having an offer with scholarship to Colorado Mines. Mines is quite expensive, and I think they are hunting out of state kids with the golden ticket and scholarship offers. Even with $14,000 a year offered, it is not near in-state cost. Seems to be a great school though.

@icedmachiato My daughter who is a freshman bio major at ut this year was offered a president’s endowed ($3000 a year) and an extra $1000 opportunity award from A&M last year. Her ACT was a 33, but she was valedictorian out over 650 students, & I think that is what prompted the awards. UT offered nothing except she got the free tuition & fees for one year for being valedictorian.

I was a brown scholar on top of my president’s endowed back in the day before you had to be national merit finalist for brown. I was commended with a 32 ACT. Things have definitely gotten harder. The awards are still identical in amount, so my $24,000 total actually covered most of my four years back in the late 90’s. A&M and ut consider themselves a good value for the money, and without a financial need, the scholarships are more of a good job pat on the back nowadays. At least that’s my take on the situation.

@txaggiemom we were offered $8,000 at Mines which isn’t even close to enough to make it work.
He wasn’t really interested in going to a school that’s primarily all engineers anyway, but it’s still nice that was accepted and got a money offer at all.

I have absolutely no inside knowledge of the admissions process and engineering review. But TAMU has publicly stated goals of increasing number of engineering students and the retention of the students.

Adding the holistic review for all engineering candidates is a huge tool to achieve that goal.

And while each of us looks at our students with a deep understanding of them individually - TAMU is able to look at the whole hard, cold data and say - A student that makes a 25 ACT with a Math and Science subs of 27 - has a 15% chance of making it to their sophomore year (I’m making up those numbers). The same holds true of class rank. And we do not know the behind of scenes data that they have on retention. But there is a chance that someone that finished 13% has no better retention outcome than 24% - with the same scores below the academic the academic admit threshold.

From the 25 by 25 document:

“Admission Policies
Texas A&M University has an automatic admit policy for the top 10% of students. However, starting with the fall 2017 freshman cohort, the College of Engineering changed our admission process to a rigorous holistic review. In other words, the top 10% of students are automatically accepted into Texas A&M, but these students must go through a holistic review before acceptance into the College of Engineering. We believe that this change will result in students with a stronger preparation in mathematics and science. For example, preference is given to students who successfully completed a calculus or pre-calculus class in high school and have strong quantitative test scores. For students admitted for fall 2017, the average SAT math score is 709, which is significantly higher than the average math score of 683 in fall 2016. I anticipate that the quality of our incoming students over the next decade will continue to be exceptional.”

This leads me to believe that retention of students that start on the College Station can be predicted by their SAT or ACT scores, probably more than any other stat. Otherwise they would not be making the effort to move from 683 to 709. They just wouldn’t.

This is the same reason UTD stopped its academic admit based on test scores. In that school’s case - they found poor student outcomes from a band of students that had decent test scores - but were near the 45%-75% rank in their class.

Looking at the two schools combined - one could extrapolate that rank and test scores can be used to predict certain things. High test scores more likely to succeed in a rigorous STEM program. But rank beneath a certain point could indicate an inability to put in the work needed to succeed in a university setting - despite solid test scores.

And I hope this is true. His math scores are 730, 750 and he’s in Q1 at a highly competitive school. I do hope they let him in.

Are there any review applicants from any major on here that have already received an acceptance? If so, when did you find out?

My daughter first showed acceptance on the Howdy Portal on October 29th. She was a review candidate and was admitted into business.

@netsirk98 congrats to her! i also applied as a review admit for mays but haven’t heard anything yet, when did your daughter apply? and could i ask about her stats and whether you’re in state?