TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

New parent here… I’m very happy, but confused, but happy. Let me explain it: My son applied on Oct/31 (procrastination, I know) he had an email saying he was auto-admitted on Nov/05 and another email on Nov/14 informing about his acceptance to the College of Engineering. I was like huh? a minute later… Yay!.. a minute later… what just happened? My confusion is because I read the whole thing here, and for many, the process is very slow and full of uncertainty. Also, because of the stats of son:

ACT 29
SAT 1220
Top 6% 31/561
Weighted 4.0 GPA 3.78
3 AP this year, 5 AP last year
More than 120 hours of community services.

We also applied to the phase I on Nov/14 and phase II will be open on Dec/05.

I’m saying this to give some hope to all the students with similar stats and to all of you, who are planning to apply to TAMU next year.

@AndyTXCL Your son was auto admit due to him being in top 10% of his graduating class. The process typically is very long because most TAMU applicants apply early (July) when it’s their first choice. Did he get full admission into Engineering at CS? Either way…Congrats to him!

My daughter was ranked 11th % so we are still waiting to hear something back. She applied on July 1st, so yes, it’s been a very long wait.

@yankeetexan33 I think her shock was more in the engineering acceptance. But I may be wrong.

My daughter is in 2nd quarter ranking 33 out of 78, low SAT scores 3.7 GPA out it 4.0 and has a great LOR, but will graduate with an associate degree in science we are on. Application is in review, but what are the chances since she cant go in the Blinn way or any other way.

I think I will jump on here and ask about my dd chances. I am stalking this site for kids with similar stats. What do y’all think? Thx!

1. Homeschooled
  2. ACT 26
  3. 37 Dual Credit hours (All will transfer to her degree–to include Calculus)
  4. 1st Quarter ranking, 3.96 Unweighted GPA
  5. 351 Volunteer hours
  6. Competitive Dancer
  7. Part time job
  8. Honor Society president
  9. Liberal Arts major
    *I promise to get back on here when she gets official feedback:)

Has anyone interviewed for any scholarship like Brown, Brockman etc. yet? Not sure what is the timeline for scholarship interviews is.

@Mikrodgers Hey, she sounds like a great student and graduating with an associates is amazing out of high school. Sometimes though that doesn’t translate well when applying as a freshman and then it can also hurt you as a transfer if the major you want caps hours for transfer. The low SAT (per your statement) and 2nd Q doesn’t look good on paper but hopefully she has other things that will help her stand out. IF she doesn’t get full admit, have her take a 12 credit semester at JC and then apply to transfer.

@Home2Collegex2 All looks good on the surface. The ACT is average but no bad. How did she do in the DC classes? As? Bs? That’ll show her college readiness. Her ECs are great! Hopefully she wrote a strong essay to nudge her over the top to full admit! Please do keep us posted.

@AggieMomhelp She has one B and the rest are A’s. She had several great recommendation letters and a very well written essay. Thank you. And, yes, I will keep y’all posted as I know there are others with similar stats.

I think applying early is a key and more so for certain majors that roll. For engineering, though, I think they look for something more than just when one submitted the application. From what I’ve seen here some applied early with stellar scores but didn’t get in as early as some others. Others applied later but the lateness did not seem to affect much. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feel that they already looked at your daughter’s file and decided not to make decision at the moment. Did everything she submitted get to the school? Hope she will hear from them soon.

I think there is a very different admission process with OOS applications, it is just a fact that most of the OOS admits won’t attend. TAMU can give out the spots because the eng admit rate is so high with alternative pathways that yield is just not a big risk and they can fill CSTAT no shows with no problem.

does anyone have any info on how competitive the communications major is?

@AggieMomhelp
Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m really hoping my other stuff can help me pull it off.
But, TAMU doesn’t ask for a transcript from the college so, would they even be able to see or consider those college credit grades? I have a few classes that didn’t count as High School credit so they weren’t on my High School transcript.

I might have missed it in these many threads, but has anyone gotten honor acceptances yet? I applied for Engineering Honors and was wondering when those usually come out.

Thank you. He applied to computer engineering and now the status says he’s being accepted to general engineering.

@gigem88 when my son applied he sent in the dual credit transcript from Blinn (we liver here). I’m almost positive on that but regardless, the grade will be on HS transcript and listed as DC.

Hello all A&M applicants for the class of 2024! As you can definitely tell by my username, I applied last year for the class of 2023, and was offered PSA. However, I decided to go the PTA route instead because I knew I really wanted to start getting the aggie- college station experience my freshman year, and let me tell you it’s been amazing! I am currently a freshman at Blinn and I am so happy with my decision to take this route. You get to still experience the aggie lifestyle, go to the games, feel the aggie spirit, etc. For anyone that doesn’t end up getting the acceptance they wanted this year, I would highly suggest the PTA route. I know the 30 credit hours can seem stressful especially if you’re wanting to transfer in after freshman year, but I am in 16 hours at blinn right now and although it can be a bit stressful at times, the professors are there to help you get that 3.2! For anyone planning on taking the PTA route, just be sure to meet with an advisor to figure out your schedule and sign the paperwork! After you sign the participation form, and you’ve either completed your 30 hours or are in the process of it, you meet with an advisor to sign your completion form during the transfer application cycle, and if you’re in the process of completing your 30 hours, they’ll hold for your spring grades and if you met all the requirements, you’re going to be an aggie! Just thought I’d offer some insight if anyone is considering the PTA pathway. :slight_smile:

@Home2Collegex2 We homeschool also. The problem you are going to have is the ACT score. Because we do not have a class rank, they will assign us ranking based on the ACT/SAT scores. Basically they lump all the HSers together into one “class” and then assign an order based on number of HS applicants and their scores. My daughter was Automatic admit based on her scores but had to wait on the Engineering holistic review. Luckily, she got her admission last week to Engineering, but we have homeschool friends with 29 ACT who are still waiting for any word.

I applied for Biomedical Science and Biology in August. I have a 31 ACT (with a 26 on the math) and was ranked in the 10.7% at a competitive high school so i just missed auto. Since I was so close to auto admit but didn’t get it what are my chances for full admission?

@hopefulaggie2023, would you mind sharing your high school stats? It sounds like you’re having a great experience!

@finsup I got a 1280 on my sat, I was ranked top 15% out of my class of 780, 3.9 unweighted gpa, 4.2 weighted gpa, and i applied for kinesiology- motor behavior concentration!